News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Re: What's going on at Saucon Valley (Weyhill)?
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Bill:

I agree w you -- makes you wonder how the golf mags always got it wrong in rating The Grace Course.

Matt,

I guess you are referring to a time (15+ years ago?) when the Grace was in the US top 100 and rated higher than the Old Course? I always thought the Old Course was better, primarily due to their great set of greens. However, the fact that Grace received top 100 status, IMO simply reflets a time when BIG and BOLD, somewhat penal,  (ala Robert Trent Jones) was a very popular style in the US.

I don't believe Weyhill was ever rated in the top 100, but then again, very few people ever knew about it...this was Beth Steel's private course. When I bring buddies to play 36 holes, they really like the Old Course but are totally surprised by Weyhill. I think you will agree the site is top 100 for a parkland site, far more interesting than many that are currently in the top 100.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:19:29 PM by Bill Brightly »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 07:44:26 PM »
Bill:

I salute the work done at Weyhill. Does that automatically make it a top 100 parksland in my book.

Tough call on that front -- plenty of others in our metro section often get scant attention.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 08:53:04 AM »
Matt,

I have no idea how high Weyhill will be ranked. Heck, the course won't even be open until 2011. What I said was that the SITE is certainly a top 100 site for parkland courses, far better than many other name courses in the metro area that you and I are familiar with.

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »
"Does that automatically make it a top 100 parksland in my book.
Tough call on that front -- plenty of others in our metro section often get scant attention."

Matt:

Personally I would elevate the course to 27.5 on the Doak Scale or at the very least 26.75!

Brian Laurent

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
Bill-

Do they plan on protecting the inside corner of 18 with any additional features?  If I remember correctly, that corner is easily cut off by most players.  Also, have they opened up the left side at all to offer a look at the green after the drive?

The work looks fantastic!  Would love to see more photos of the changes if you have them.

Regards,

Brian
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Bill Brightly

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 09:11:08 PM »

Brian. take a look at the old quarry on Hole 18 that is now visible. I played the course for 5 years and did not know this feature existed! I NEVER tried to carve it around the trees before,the penalty for a miss was FAR too high (buried in the woods, maybe a lost ball.) Now I can think about it, and then have visions of drawing a wood to get home in 2.. However, if I miss and end up against the old quarry wall, I may make more than bogey... I think this is a FANTASTIC change.

Before

After

[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:16:08 PM by Bill Brightly »

Brian Laurent

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 09:34:21 PM »
I agree...if nothing else, it's visually more appealing, but will also tempt more players to bite a little more off.  From what I recall though, it does not take much to carry the quarry...190-200 yards???  It's been a while, so excuse me if I'm off base.
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Bill Brightly

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 09:41:24 PM »
It is more like 250 to carry the quarry from the blue tees, maybe the whites are 230. (This is one course where single digit players need to play the back tees.) I always thought trying to carve it through the trees was a dumb play, even from the white, because I had to do it with a fade and I was never gonna be able to cut off enough to get home in two, so why risk a lost ball off the tee? I hit 3 or 5 wood from the whites. Now I can try to bomb a long straight one, even a tight draw, and gain enough.

The course is closed all year, so I cannot wait to play this hole and REALLY see how I choose to play it.

I also am thinking about a GCA outing there in 2011 subject to approval. Think people would enjoy playing it?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:50:53 PM by Bill Brightly »

Brian Laurent

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 09:57:18 PM »
I also am thinking about a GCA outing there in 2011 subject to approval. Think people would enjoy playing it?

The place is special.  I'm guessing you would have a few takers!  Let me know in advance so I can throw it on the calendar.  I'd love to get back and say hi to Weyhill Andy and Mr. Mattare!

Mike Cirba

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 11:21:27 AM »
Bill,

#18 looks terrific.

I'm going to be over there next Monday for an outing so I may stop over at Weyhill and look at the work in progress.

archie_struthers

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 11:55:49 AM »
 8) ;D :D

Just took a little trip to Saucon recently ...what a fab place!  The only feedback to the negative I have heard is that the bunkers redo has made a bunch of the fairway bunkers too severe and penal ...mostly about the lips

Saucon treats guest fabulously and it remains one of the nicest clubs on the East Coast

Jed Peters

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 12:02:42 PM »
You know bill, over 2 years later, and I think of wehyill the most in my mind. Grace I can only really remember 2 or so holes, but Weyhill, I think back and there are SOOOO many good standout holes in my mind!

Bill Brightly

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2010, 12:14:37 PM »
Archie,

Funny thing about hazards playing like hazards...

Your post accurately reflects a common complaint that some members had when the Old Course had work done 3 years ago. I think the complaints are heard far less now. It was funny to me: when the course was first re-opened, the sand was NEW and naturally it was far more fluffiy. It has since "settled down."  And the areas around the traps were completely sodded with brand new blue grass, which was very plush and thick. That too has settled down. I swear it was more the "look" that scared people rather than the play...

Some people forget that many fairway bunkers were moved out 30 yards so that the average or short hitters can't reach them. I think this was a HUGE  benefit to these players, they were not hitting the green from the old bunkers anyway.

If you can drive the ball 265-300, you really need to avoid a handful of fairway bunkers that are truly 1/2 shot penalties. I LOVE that about the design. Saucon Valley Old is now a superb test of a scratch players driving accuracy. I just invited a 0 hdcp to play it is was so cool to watch him think through his tee shots, and it put a ton of pressure on me to give him the proper line. (I'm not used to people actually hitting the ball to the spot I suggested :) )
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 07:01:43 PM by Bill Brightly »

Mark McKeever

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »
As far as the old course goes, I have to agree with Bill.  I hit the ball about 275 off the tee typically and there are a lot of difficult tee shots on the old course.  You really do have to think a good bit about how you want to play the shots.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

archie_struthers

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2010, 08:49:06 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Just so we're clear , it was almost twenty years since I played Saucon and I really enjoyed the golf and the course. We played the Old which was quite fun. The driving required some thought as the fairway bunkers were right in my wheelhouse on a lot of the holes.  They made you think on your tee shot , as Bill alluded to .

Just to be clear , I heard some muttering as to the bunkers, which didn't bother me ...hazards ought to be hazards !!!

Bob Harris

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 04:24:15 PM »
8) ;D :D

Just took a little trip to Saucon recently ...what a fab place!  The only feedback to the negative I have heard is that the bunkers redo has made a bunch of the fairway bunkers too severe and penal ...mostly about the lips

I agree, the fairway bunkers are much more severe than they were prior to the renovation.
We were there today for the course rating.  All 18 green complexes have been rebuilt and the course will play from 7400 yards from the back tees.
I especially liked the work they did on 6 and 15.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back