News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Flamion

Re: 2nd Annual Midwest Mashie - May 21-22nd - TEE-TIMES ADDED
« Reply #250 on: May 17, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »
This will be my first trip.

I tried to set up a buddy trip twice and both times it fell through due to crappy buddies.

Chris

George Freeman

« Reply #251 on: May 17, 2011, 10:50:46 PM »
I played the course one time in 2009 on my way up to Greywalls in the UP.

Looking forward to getting to know the old girl a little better...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Brent Carlson

« Reply #252 on: May 17, 2011, 11:37:36 PM »
Man I really wish I could be there.  Those of you playing the Links course for the first time are in for a real treat.  It doesn't get much better than this.  I'm anxious to see the reports.  Take some pics of the course / conditions.

Norman Olsen

« Reply #253 on: May 18, 2011, 01:54:43 AM »
I'm a GCA newbie, Lawsonia newbie, L&M newbie and have officially contributed my first post!  Really looking forward to meeting some fellow GCAers and playing what appears to be an outstanding course.  See you all on Saturday.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #254 on: May 18, 2011, 02:15:13 AM »
I'm a GCA newbie, Lawsonia newbie, L&M newbie and have officially contributed my first post!  Really looking forward to meeting some fellow GCAers and playing what appears to be an outstanding course.  See you all on Saturday.

Jeez ... who let this bomber onto GCA  ;D

Bad enough Brian's going...  :P

Welcome on Norm!
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

PCCraig

« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2011, 08:30:24 AM »
I'm curious...how many are making the Mashie their first trip to Lawsonia?

First trip for me.  That's why I'm getting the early round in to prep for our match Pat!

Ken

Ken,

I'm playing on Saturday morning as well, but with the hopes of trying to remember how to swing a golf club! :)

Lot's of Lawsonia first-timers! It'll be great to hear what everyone thinks come Saturday evening.
H.P.S.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2011, 02:08:51 PM »
I'm looking forward to meeting many who I've only had the chance to read their posts.  As an old timer Lawsonia links player, I'd have to offer a small note of caution or restraint about what to expect.  Of course I'm hoping for some firm conditions where the course would shine and offer it's best side, but realistically it is spring and the first weeks open of a very harsh late winter spring year.  I would expect a pretty soft and slow track, with greens a bit bumpy.  Our course 70 miles away is just coming around and still not nearly drained out of all the rain after heavy late snow melts. 

The truly best time to see and play Lawsonia is late Sept-Oct until close each year.  If nothing else, I hope the newbie introduction to Lawsonia this week will wet your appetite to make the return visit to see and play it when it is at it's yearly peak in fall. 

I can't wait to see some old friends and make some new one this weekend.  I will be a newbie to join up with Dan at Spring ValleyFriday,  to see that Langford-Moreau design.  It is actually an embarrassment that I am a native Wisconsin resident and have not seen or played it.  As it is, I don't think I'll be able to join in on Sunday morning, but will play Saturday and stay for dinner and Dan's remarks.  Dan has really become the GCA official expert on Langford and Moreau and Lawsonia and has done a great job in past outtings there like the Langford-Moreau tour a couple years ago at West Bend, Lawsonia, and Ozaukee. 

I will bring one extra 3 wheeler Sun Mountain for any walking player that needs it.  I'm walking as well.  Handi index 14.  And finally in the tradition of alibi, I totally changed my stance-address and gave up trying to hit draw off the tee, and for the first couple of weeks it was working out great- hitting more fairways and trusting the fade to slice.  Then yesterday, the wheels came off!  ;) ::) :o  That is my story and I'm sticking with it.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »
Dick --

One nice thing about Lawsonia: no rattlers in the rough! Eh?

That's *my* story, and I'm sticking with it.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

RJ_Daley

« Reply #258 on: May 18, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »
Dan, our Badger population are like mongoose with cobras, and suppress that pesky rattler and gopher population.  But we do have agressive grass and garter snakes, as Mike Hendren can attest to when one ferociously chased us down the first FW at Erin Hills.  I was traumatized right from the first hole and it effected the grace and style of my golf swing all day, and that is another story I'm sticking with!  :o
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »
Mongeese? Mongooses?

Us Wildcats ain't afeared of no badgers. . .

George Freeman

« Reply #260 on: May 18, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »
Gents,

Unfortunately Ari Techner has to drop out due to a bum wrist and David Plassman has to drop out as something came up at work.  So, as of now we have three open spots.  However, Brian J. has said a friend of his may be able to join. 

Let me know if you might have someone in mind.  Also, keep an eye on the Saturday afternoon tee-times as I will have to move them around a little bit.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Brian James

« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »
George,

Brian and Norm told me you might be looking for 1to fill a slot?  I'm not 100% sure I can make it at the moment (should know by Friday), but wanted to check in and see if you still needed to fill a spot.  Understand if you are looking for a more certain entry and can hang tight until Friday.

Thanks,

Brian James

George Freeman

« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2011, 09:31:48 PM »
George,

Brian and Norm told me you might be looking for 1to fill a slot?  I'm not 100% sure I can make it at the moment (should know by Friday), but wanted to check in and see if you still needed to fill a spot.  Understand if you are looking for a more certain entry and can hang tight until Friday.

Thanks,

Brian James

Brian,

It looks like four people backed out, so as of now we're set with 36, which makes 9 full groups.  If someone else drops I'll let you know.

Thanks!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

George Freeman

« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2011, 09:41:43 PM »
All - I had to change the tee-times/foursomes up again (hopefully for the last time), so please double check your slot:

East / West

#1 - 1:20 PM  Pat Craig & Ken Fry VS Matt Sander & Bryan Sander

#2 - 1:30 PM  Patrick Kiser & Brian Joines VS Andrew Lewis & George Freeman

#3 - 1:40 PM  Chris Shaida & Norm Olson VS Rick Shefchik & Bill Seitz

#4 - 1:50 PM  Mike McGuire & Mark Pearce VS Dan Moore & Mike Collentine

#5 - 2:00 PM  Dan Kelly & Charlie Kelly VS Jon Winick & Ben Kodadek

#6 - 2:10 PM  Morgan Clawson & Chuck Cohen VS Patrick Hodgdon & Mark Smolens

#7 - 2:20 PM  Bill Steele & John Mayhugh VS Jud Tigerman & Bill Watkin

#8 - 2:30 PM  Bill Faley & Brad Tufts VS Andrew Calcutt & Steve Salmen

#9 - 2:40 PM  Stu Naugler & Dick Daley VS Eric Terhorst & Chris Flamion

We can do the tee-times/pairings for Sunday AM on Saturday night at/after dinner.

* Times are approximate except for Group #1
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:42:14 AM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Brian Joines

« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2011, 11:22:06 PM »

Jeez ... who let this bomber onto GCA  ;D

Bad enough Brian's going...  :P

Welcome on Norm!

Hey, watch it partner!

Matthew Sander

« Reply #265 on: May 19, 2011, 10:06:26 AM »
The forecast is deteriorating each day :'( Hopefully we've bottomed out and it will start to improve a little bit...Just once, I'd like to see a long range forecast err in the other direction!

Jud_T

« Reply #266 on: May 19, 2011, 10:30:16 AM »
I don't even care about rain...at this point I'll be thrilled to see 70 degrees..
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matthew Sander

« Reply #267 on: May 19, 2011, 10:40:01 AM »
Yeah, rain will be no big deal. This past Sunday morning I played in 39 degrees (wind chill), 25 mph wind, light rain...beautiful. Evidence of my desperation to get in some rounds...

PCCraig

« Reply #268 on: May 19, 2011, 11:27:24 AM »
Actually, I don't think the weather looks that bad right now. Yesterday's weather.com forecast was much worse!

I can handle a few periods of showers...

At least the good news is that Green Lake hasn't gotten much rain at all the last couple weeks, so hopefully the course won't be too wet and slow considering the Spring we've had.
H.P.S.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #269 on: May 19, 2011, 12:04:41 PM »
Looking forward to wearing shorts on the golf course for the first time in Chicago this season (tho there've been a couple of times when I stupidly had long pants on). Even if I have to throw on the rainpants, it will be nice to get out in shorts. . .

PCCraig

« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »
Looking forward to wearing shorts on the golf course for the first time in Chicago this season (tho there've been a couple of times when I stupidly had long pants on). Even if I have to throw on the rainpants, it will be nice to get out in shorts. . .

I heard a rumor that Lisa Pavin is designing the West Team's rainsuits... ;)
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2011, 12:11:39 PM »
The smart money at the London betting shops has the West as 3-2 favorites...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »
Actually, I don't think the weather looks that bad right now. Yesterday's weather.com forecast was much worse!

I can handle a few periods of showers...

At least the good news is that Green Lake hasn't gotten much rain at all the last couple weeks, so hopefully the course won't be too wet and slow considering the Spring we've had.

The good news is I have True Tours that keep my feet COMPLETELY dry even in the rain and on a soggy course.

And your damn right I will be breaking out the limited edition Master's Green Trues for the Mashie this weekend.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Brian James

« Reply #273 on: May 19, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »
Thanks George,

Let me know if anyone bails

Brian

PCCraig

« Reply #274 on: May 20, 2011, 10:02:19 AM »
Bump.

Who's planning on getting into Green Lake tonight?
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back