News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Seitz

Re: 2nd Annual Midwest Mashie - May 21-22nd - TEE-TIMES ADDED
« Reply #225 on: May 13, 2011, 10:41:53 AM »
Bill,

We have room for one more player at 7:00 AM Saturday morning on the Links course.  Your buddy would be very welcome to join us.  Let me know.

Ken

Ken, go ahead and add him to your group.  Thanks. 

George Freeman

« Reply #226 on: May 14, 2011, 09:34:13 AM »
We're back to needing three guys to get to 40.

Let me know if you know of anyone who might want to join.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Matthew Sander

« Reply #227 on: May 14, 2011, 04:07:56 PM »
George,

If needed, my brother is 95% sure he can make it next weekend. I'll follow up with you on Monday...I've also sent you a PM...

Matt

George Freeman

« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »
George,

If needed, my brother is 95% sure he can make it next weekend. I'll follow up with you on Monday...I've also sent you a PM...

Matt

Matt - awesome, he's in!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Matthew Sander

« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Bryan is now 100% in. Thanks...

PCCraig

« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2011, 05:08:07 PM »
Bumping now that the event is less than a week away!
H.P.S.

Ryan Kelly

« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »
Pat, I'm having an issue sending a personal message, so I thought I would respond here.  I have an event this weekend with my sons so I can't, but thank you for the invitation.

George Freeman

« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2011, 05:33:49 PM »
With the addition of Chuck Cohen (thanks to Mark S.), we are all filled up at 40 even.

Everyone - double check your Saturday tee-time as I had to shift a few people around.

Looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:35:32 PM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Buck Wolter

« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »
I just sent George an IM to tell him I have to drop out this weekend so there is one spot open, if anyone knows of a possible replacement please let George know and send me an IM so I can reimburse them for the cost of the event. Very sorry to have to miss this.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

George Freeman

« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »
I just sent George an IM to tell him I have to drop out this weekend so there is one spot open, if anyone knows of a possible replacement please let George know and send me an IM so I can reimburse them for the cost of the event. Very sorry to have to miss this.

Buck

Sorry to hear that Buck.  No need to worry about reimbursing anyone as everything is ala carte. 

So, one spot still open if anyone would like to join.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

PCCraig

« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »
I saw this interesting tidbit on Lawsonia's facebook page:

"Oliphant Golf Management has assumed the maintenance of the Links and Woodlands golf courses."

According to their website, they have been involved with the construction/renovation/management with the following courses:

California Club
Omaha Country Club
The Madison Club
Palouse Ridge Golf Club
Gozzer Ranch Golf Club
H.P.S.

George Freeman

« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2011, 10:46:15 AM »
I saw this interesting tidbit on Lawsonia's facebook page:

"Oliphant Golf Management has assumed the maintenance of the Links and Woodlands golf courses."

According to their website, they have been involved with the construction/renovation/management with the following courses:

California Club
Omaha Country Club
The Madison Club
Palouse Ridge Golf Club
Gozzer Ranch Golf Club

Hopefully that equates to firm and fast!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2011, 10:55:57 AM »
I'm not sure what that means, if true.  Oliphant is still based in Madison, I think.  They are or have been a GC construction focused company.  If I'm not mistaken, I think they did the construction side of the remodel of #5 at Pebble Beach par 3.  I also believe they had a significant legal matter involving a construction site accident.  I did not know they were on the maintenance side.  Lawsonia has been in very capable hands of a Superintendent who was largely responsible for getting Ron Forse-Jim Nagle in there to do a resto master plan, which primarily resulted in bringing the mowing lines back to original on greens, and detreeing the links from the decades of ill advised coniferous plantings and some red maples where none were originally contemplated by Langford-Moreau. 

So, one often cringes when we hear a major change in maintenance or management teams.  One hopes that they know what they have there and won't goof it up based on some pitch made to the owners (American Baptist Assembly) with projections of efficiencies, savings, or remodelling where none is  needed.  I guess we will have 40 GCA investigators on the ground there in a few days...  ;) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

PCCraig

« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »
I'm not sure what that means, if true.  Oliphant is still based in Madison, I think.  They are or have been a GC construction focused company.  If I'm not mistaken, I think they did the construction side of the remodel of #5 at Pebble Beach par 3.  I also believe they had a significant legal matter involving a construction site accident.  I did not know they were on the maintenance side.  Lawsonia has been in very capable hands of a Superintendent who was largely responsible for getting Ron Forse-Jim Nagle in there to do a resto master plan, which primarily resulted in bringing the mowing lines back to original on greens, and detreeing the links from the decades of ill advised coniferous plantings and some red maples where none were originally contemplated by Langford-Moreau. 

I'm only going off Lawsonia's own post on their Facebook page. I have never heard of Oliphant but after a quick google search it looks like they've worked on a wide range of courses.
H.P.S.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #239 on: May 17, 2011, 11:35:12 AM »
Dan,
Looks like I've convinced my friend Chuck Cohen to come with us to Spring Valley on Friday afternoon -- with Bill Seitz I think that gives us six.

George,
Chuck's index is 8.something right now.

Ben,
I sent you a pm, but am wondering if that spot in your 7:20 tee time is still open -- Chuck has never played at Lawsonia before and would like to get in a practice round.

Weather Channel's 10 day forecast looks pretty good for Friday and Saturday, with some precipitation coming in on Sunday. Haven't played too many rounds in 70 degree weather this year.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #240 on: May 17, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »
Walking.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dan Kelly

« Reply #241 on: May 17, 2011, 03:01:07 PM »
I love it. A Dan Kelly-Rick Shefchick battle. Very nice.

Well, my initial thought is that I don't need to drive 250 miles to get my ass kicked by Dan Kelly. I had that pleasure in one of my last rounds last fall, two miles from my front door.

My second thought is that I don't like the idea of giving Dan Kelly to the East Team. We need him on the West.

My third thought is, I'm not organizing this thing, so, as Peter Lorre said in "Casablanca," "What right have I to think?"

My only thought (not that I have a right to one) is: That season-ending, marathon ass-kicking was an unusual (if not unprecedented) event, in a 15-year series of matches dominated by the man from the West -- who, strangely enough, lives nearly an hour east of the man from the East.

It's the man from the East's daughter that the West shouldn't do without -- though you'll have to, because she won't be there!

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Bill Seitz

« Reply #242 on: May 17, 2011, 03:06:45 PM »
I love it. A Dan Kelly-Rick Shefchick battle. Very nice.

Well, my initial thought is that I don't need to drive 250 miles to get my ass kicked by Dan Kelly. I had that pleasure in one of my last rounds last fall, two miles from my front door.

My second thought is that I don't like the idea of giving Dan Kelly to the East Team. We need him on the West.

My third thought is, I'm not organizing this thing, so, as Peter Lorre said in "Casablanca," "What right have I to think?"

My only thought (not that I have a right to one) is: That season-ending, marathon ass-kicking was an unusual (if not unprecedented) event, in a 15-year series of matches dominated by the man from the West -- who, strangely enough, lives nearly an hour east of the man from the East.

It's the man from the East's daughter that the West shouldn't do without -- though you'll have to, because she won't be there!

Looks like you guys won't have to worry.  George has broken this match up for the time being.  As Rick's partner on Saturday, I was getting a little intimidated by the back and forth, hoping I could hold up my end of the bargain.

PCCraig

« Reply #243 on: May 17, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »
I'm curious...how many are making the Mashie their first trip to Lawsonia?
H.P.S.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #244 on: May 17, 2011, 05:55:54 PM »
I am a Lawsonia rookie and very much looking forward to this weekend.

Jud_T

« Reply #245 on: May 17, 2011, 06:06:56 PM »
It's my buddy Dr. Bill's first trip.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matthew Sander

« Reply #246 on: May 17, 2011, 06:13:07 PM »
It'll be my maiden voyage as well as my brother's.

However, after 3.5 rounds there it will feel like my home course considering how little I've been able to play lately ;D.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #247 on: May 17, 2011, 07:11:42 PM »
My first trip to Wisconsin, let alone Lawsonia.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #248 on: May 17, 2011, 07:24:20 PM »
I will be in Chicago tomorrow and Thursday.  My work schedule is lighter than I anticipated.   I'd be happy to meet up for a round if anyone is available to get out.  Just shoot me a PM. 

Ken Fry

« Reply #249 on: May 17, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »
I'm curious...how many are making the Mashie their first trip to Lawsonia?

First trip for me.  That's why I'm getting the early round in to prep for our match Pat!

Ken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back