News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Re: 2nd Annual Midwest Mashie - May 21-22nd - TEE-TIMES ADDED
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2011, 10:43:07 AM »
Mark, Andrew, Ben,

I'm headed up Friday afternoon.  Want to play at Spring Valley ($20 cheap but fun Langford Moreau) Brown Deer ($80 home of GMO) or Erin Hills ($200 wout caddie) around 2 pm? 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2011, 11:00:39 AM »
Dan,

I'm fine with whatever you guys decide.   Erin Hills would be great.

Patrick Kiser

Re: 2nd Annual Midwest Mashie - May 21-22nd - TEE-TIMES ADDED New
« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2011, 12:42:39 PM »
Sunday morning, about to give mom a call to wish her a happy mum's day, having a cup of joe, and ... that's right Lawsonia is only a couple of weeks away.

I need to revisit Dan's old thread...  I like to prepare a little when possible.

So I'm very much looking forward to seeing Lawsonia and some L&M.

As I revisit Dan's photo essay, a couple of holes are really getting me fired up.

I'm especially looking forward to the very cool 13th with the echelon bunker concept, but ... there's something I simply and absolutely am NOT getting at this point.

Why in world did they add back in a tree in the line of play?  It certainly appears eventually it will not make any sense to even attempt the aggressive line to the top echelon bunker (as Langford's drawing shows as well) to give yourself a better angle into the green from the left.  You'll really be forced again to go conservative right and still have to deal with the approach getting around the bank of trees that appear to the right of the fairway on your second.  Perhaps it's the pics that give this impression, but I'm not sure.

I'm not getting it...

Thoughts?

Photos courtesy of Dan Moore:

Langford’s 1914 drawing showing en echelon bunker arrangement

13th  Bunkers en echelon  “ Thus to open up two or more avenues of play on a hole we must build our cross bunkers en echelon (step formation or diagonally across the course, and must allow bunkers built at right angles to the line of play to extend only partially across the course, leaving room to play around them at one or both ends.”  Langford 1914  

13th From the landing zone showing the original tree 185 yards from Green

13th From the landing zone right
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:29:28 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

George Freeman

« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »
Patrick,

I too was a little confused by that.  I would assume this is just the club trying to replace something that had been there for a long time and had become "part" of the hole for the members and players that frequent the course.

Obviously that isn't the best way to make decisions about golf architecture/strategy...

We'll get a chance to see how big the tree has gotten in a couple weeks.  It is a really good hole.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2011, 07:26:02 PM »
I love it. A Dan Kelly-Rick Shefchick battle. Very nice.

Well, my initial thought is that I don't need to drive 250 miles to get my ass kicked by Dan Kelly. I had that pleasure in one of my last rounds last fall, two miles from my front door.

My second thought is that I don't like the idea of giving Dan Kelly to the East Team. We need him on the West.

My third thought is, I'm not organizing this thing, so, as Peter Lorre said in "Casablanca," "What right have I to think?"

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:46:02 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

PCCraig

« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »
Patrick K:

As you'll see, that tree isn't there anymore.
H.P.S.

George Freeman

« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2011, 08:16:43 PM »
Patrick K:

They took the new, little tree out?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

PCCraig

« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2011, 08:50:04 PM »
Patrick K:

They took the new, little tree out?

I might be totally wrong, but think they did.
H.P.S.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #183 on: May 08, 2011, 09:53:20 PM »
Yes, the replacement tree in the fairway on #13 was removed.

Dan Moore

« Reply #184 on: May 09, 2011, 09:13:37 AM »
As best I can remember from last August the replacement small tree is gone. 

The tree is visible on the 1930's aerial of the course and Langford was known to use a solitary tree as a strategic element from time to time.  In this case at around 185 yards from the green it did play a significant role in the strategy of the second shot.  At that time the fairway was much wider in the 2nd shot landing area-no water to left, and also quite a bit wider in the last 100 yards to the green-alot fewer trees.  This allowed a broad range of options on the 2nd shot as you could play to either side of the tree with the second or try to blow by it on the ground with a low runner.  Keeping in mind the hole plays 560 and is significabntly up hill it was a true 3 shotter back in the time it was designed so the 2nd shot was the key shot on the hole.  That said I agree with Patrick that the location of the tree did diminish the bold drive over the far left bunker, but I have to wonder if that carry was much of a possibility back then. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

PCCraig

« Reply #185 on: May 09, 2011, 09:23:12 AM »
Yes, the replacement tree in the fairway on #13 was removed.

Thanks Brad. I thought I was "mis-remembering" things there for a second. :)
H.P.S.

George Freeman

Re: 2nd Annual Midwest Mashie - May 21-22nd
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »
I have one at the office I could bring, but the resolution is not very good.  I'll check it tomorrow & let you know.

John,

Any word on the projector?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Jud_T

« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »
Could we rent a good one and each chip in a few bucks?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Freeman

« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2011, 03:57:29 PM »
Could we rent a good one and each chip in a few bucks?

That is a possibility.  I was originally going to rent the one from Lawsonia for $85, however I was notified that it broke and might not be repaired by the time of the Mashie.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2011, 08:00:33 AM »
Gentlemen

I regret to relay that due to new home purchase and subsequent remodelling and graduation and and and I have elected to WD

Am keeping decks cleared for next year tho

Ward
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

John Mayhugh

Re: 2nd Annual Midwest Mashie - May 21-22nd
« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2011, 08:09:06 AM »
I have one at the office I could bring, but the resolution is not very good.  I'll check it tomorrow & let you know.

John,

Any word on the projector?

I emailed Dan about it.  I can bring one, but it's only 1024 x 768 resolution.  Dan said he thought he could come up with something else.  If we need it, I'll bring it.

George Freeman

« Reply #191 on: May 10, 2011, 12:30:03 PM »
I've been asked by the club to get a rough figure for how many people will be riding in carts on Saturday?  I wouldn't assume the number is high, but please let me know if you'll be walking or riding on Saturday.

Thanks!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Matthew Sander

« Reply #192 on: May 10, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
George,

I'll be walking both days...

Matt Sander

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2011, 12:45:48 PM »
Walking.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

PCCraig

« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »
Walking.
H.P.S.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »
Walking.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #196 on: May 10, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »
Walking

Jud_T

« Reply #197 on: May 10, 2011, 01:25:28 PM »
Walking x2
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andrew Lewis

Bill Seitz

« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »
Walking as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back