News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Re: 2nd Annual Midwest Mashie - May 21-22nd - TEE-TIMES ADDED
« Reply #200 on: May 10, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »
Walking!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

PCCraig

« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »
Has anyone been to Lawsonia, or near it, yet this year? The winter up here in the Twin Cities was terrible for the courses and many clubs are having issues with Winter-kill. Just curious if courses are having the same issues over in Central Wisconsin.
H.P.S.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »
Walking.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Chris Flamion

« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2011, 04:38:29 PM »
walking

Mark Smolens

« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
Walking, with my push cart that got me ejected from Harborside on Sunday (stupid mother$U%^ers wanted me to take my push cart off the fairways 40 yards from every green as if it were an electric cart -- with straight faces they claimed that if people saw me with a push cart up next to a putting green, "other" golfers would feel constrained to take their electric carts there).

Matthew Sander

« Reply #205 on: May 10, 2011, 07:10:44 PM »
Pat,

For what it's worth, I called today to inquire about additional tee times. The gentleman in the shop said the course is in outstanding shape.

Apparently, the whole world is descending on Lawsonia that same weekend. I believe he said they have two additional outings on Saturday and large groups on Sunday as well. Both courses are nearly full both days...They seem pretty concerned about cart availability. I told him our group should help the cart numbers as I'd imagine a good number (majority) of us are walking.

As an aside, I think it is kind of funny that when you call to inquire about tee times they assume you are interested in playing the Woodlands course (and riding)...we're such an isolated bunch of nerds ;D

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #206 on: May 10, 2011, 07:16:05 PM »
Walking.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Ken Fry

« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2011, 09:19:04 PM »
Walking x 3....     ;D

Mike McGuire

« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2011, 10:26:54 PM »
Walking

Brian Joines

« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2011, 10:28:34 PM »
Walking

Dan Moore

« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »
Walking.

A few of us are playing Langford Moreau's Spring Valley (just over the state line 5 miles west of I-94) on the way up at 2 pm Friday afternoon.  Anyone who would like to join us please let me know.  I hear on good authority from one of us who played tyhere last weekend that the greens are in superb shape at SV.  Originall LM routing almost entirely intact.  Marginally maintained but with some terrific holes and greens.   Well worth the $20 green fee, in fact one of the best deals for the quality of the architecture anywhere.  

Spring valley 18th

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:09:36 AM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

PCCraig

« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »
Pat,

For what it's worth, I called today to inquire about additional tee times. The gentleman in the shop said the course is in outstanding shape.

Apparently, the whole world is descending on Lawsonia that same weekend. I believe he said they have two additional outings on Saturday and large groups on Sunday as well. Both courses are nearly full both days...They seem pretty concerned about cart availability. I told him our group should help the cart numbers as I'd imagine a good number (majority) of us are walking.

As an aside, I think it is kind of funny that when you call to inquire about tee times they assume you are interested in playing the Woodlands course (and riding)...we're such an isolated bunch of nerds ;D

Good to hear Matt, thanks for the report. You can take with a grain of salt because its so far out, but the 10 forcast is looking solid for far for next week: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USWI0289

It's pretty rare to see Lawsonia so "busy" but with two courses that helps spread the players out. After browsing their online reservation system there should still be plently of room for GCAers who are looking into getting extra holes in over the weekend.
H.P.S.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2011, 11:35:25 AM »
I'm looking for a match for Sunday afternoon. If anyone has a time reserved and needs a 4th let me know.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Matthew Sander

« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
Patrick,

Chris Flamion and I have room for 2 more at 2:30 on Sunday. That would leave room for one if anyone else would like to join us...

Chris and I are also getting into town Saturday morning and have a 10:40 tee time. We thought we'd try to get in 9 or 10 holes since it was our maiden voyage at Lawsonia. If anyone would like to get in a few extra holes with us just let me know. I believe they are going to charge us $20 or $25.

Matt

Bill Seitz

« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »
George, with the various cancellations, do we want to try and add anyone?  I've got someone who's interested in playing (who could also conveniently split the cost of the room I reserved) who would be willing to play.  I'm not sure how the numbers are working out, but if we want to look to add a player, let me know.  That's how I got involved last year. 

George Freeman

« Reply #215 on: May 11, 2011, 02:26:45 PM »
George, with the various cancellations, do we want to try and add anyone?  I've got someone who's interested in playing (who could also conveniently split the cost of the room I reserved) who would be willing to play.  I'm not sure how the numbers are working out, but if we want to look to add a player, let me know.  That's how I got involved last year. 

Bill,

That would be great.  Right now we're 3 shy of 40.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

PThomas

« Reply #216 on: May 11, 2011, 05:02:58 PM »
anybody need a room mate pls IM me, thx
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #217 on: May 11, 2011, 06:14:13 PM »

Bill,

OK, we can add one more.  Bill Faley will be playing, and most likely walking.  He's about a 3-4 handicap.  He's definitely in for the Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning matches. 

George Freeman

« Reply #218 on: May 11, 2011, 06:24:13 PM »

Bill,

OK, we can add one more.  Bill Faley will be playing, and most likely walking.  He's about a 3-4 handicap.  He's definitely in for the Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning matches. 

Got him.  Thanks Bill!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Mayhugh

« Reply #219 on: May 11, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »
Mark Pearce & I would like to play in the afternoon on Sunday as well, but no tee time booked.  Anyone need two more players?

After seeing Dan's Spring Valley pic, I cannot help but wonder if we need to hustle down there instead for a late afternoon look.

Phil McDade

« Reply #220 on: May 11, 2011, 10:22:41 PM »
After seeing Dan's Spring Valley pic, I cannot help but wonder if we need to hustle down there instead for a late afternoon look.

A few more pics of Spring Valley...

The long and difficult par 3 5th:

The terrific par 3 7th, with a tee shot over a deep valley to a green with a false front and all kinds of trouble short-left and long-left:

The par 3 17th, with a green that's been described as one of the best in Wisconsin; have to see it in person to believe it. A green that can legitimately stand up to the best that Lawsonia, Blue Mound or Milwaukee CC has to offer (as a set, Spring Valley's par 3s can hold their own with some of the best courses in Wisconsin; there is not much difference in architectural quality between the par 3s at Spring Valley and those at the better-known Lawsonia):

The long approach to the par 4 15th, over a Langford mound, a favorite hole of architect David Esler (Black Sheep, Ravisloe renovations), who played Spring Valley as a youth:

The blind drive of the par 4 closing 18th, over trademark Langford mounding:

Worth the detour; as Dan mentioned, hard to find more interesting architecture at the price of a round at SV.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2011, 11:55:15 PM »
John M.,

As of now we have 1 spot open at 2:30 if you and Mark want to split up...otherwise I'll keep you posted if anyone has to bail. Take care...

Bill Seitz

« Reply #222 on: May 12, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »
Does anyone have room for one more player on Saturday morning?  I'm already in a group, but Bill Faley, who we added a day or two ago, is looking to play Saturday morning as well.  Otherwise he'll just drive up Saturday and play in the afternoon round, but if there's anything still open, please let me know and I'll pass it along as he's not registered on GCA yet.

Ken Fry

« Reply #223 on: May 12, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »
Bill,

We have room for one more player at 7:00 AM Saturday morning on the Links course.  Your buddy would be very welcome to join us.  Let me know.

Ken

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2011, 04:37:15 AM »
Additionally, I have one spot available at 7:20 if anyone is interested in joining us.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back