News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Did Doonbeg Flame Out?
« on: November 04, 2010, 11:44:50 PM »
I noticed Doonbeg ranked #37 on the recent GD list of Irish courses, a far cry from all the hype when the course opened.

Personally, having spent time on the property before construction I never felt it would turn out that great. But, what happened to this place? Why didn't Doonbeg live up to the hype ?
Tim Weiman

Ted Harris

Re: Did Doonbeg Flame Out?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:41:37 AM »
maybe it has something to do with the ugly lodging/clubhouse built on site - probably splendid on the inside but very out of character(too big) for that piece of land - also very $$$$$$

Doonbeg also probably gets hurt due to the fact that there is nothing that interesting close by - Spanish Point maybe

other more desirable options are

Lahinch has the lively town and the Cliffs of Moher nearby as well as the town of Doolin
Ballybunion has Tom Watson's highly publicized recommendation (the town is nothing special - maybe more scenic than Doonbeg)
Tralee has the famous and delightful Banna Strand
Waterville has remoteness, sheer beauty and the Ring of Kerry
Dooks and Ceann Sibeal have awesome views, the Connor Pass and the famous Dingle Peninsula

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 02:34:03 AM by Ted Harris »

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:44:42 AM »
Of course the assumption in the question above is that the ranking of 37 in Eire is fair and reasonable - something you can never really be sure of when it comes to magazine course rankings.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:07:53 AM »
I didn't expect much when I went down to play there because of the discussions here, but when I played it I thought it was fantastic. Certainly better than 37th best in Ireland, in my opinion. I'd have it in the top 15 and maybe top 10. The flatter holes are all very interesting and the ones in the dunes didn't disappoint.
John Marr(inan)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:06:28 AM »
Tim:

Backlash items have been elevated into the picture (e.g. size and nature of clubhouse, the $$ to play, etc, etc).

The course is quite good but often times ratings involve personal gripes (real and imagined) that enter the scene.

Greg Norman's flair is not everyone's cup of tea.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 11:28:04 AM »
perhaps also ironic that the snail that caused so much heart ache and almost a road block in the routing, is now back bigger and stronger than the population would have been without a golf course. :o
@theflatsticker

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »
I noticed Doonbeg ranked #37 on the recent GD list of Irish courses, a far cry from all the hype when the course opened.

Personally, having spent time on the property before construction I never felt it would turn out that great. But, what happened to this place? Why didn't Doonbeg live up to the hype ?

I go to Doonbeg quite a bit, it's busy up there frequently which would suggest it hasn't flamed out. It is a very good golf course, no real weak holes, the crossing of some of the holes is a bit awkward but far from disastrous

Being ranked 36th in Ireland doesn't mean the course isn't good or great. There are a lot of really good golf courses in the country. 36 is a low position for the course, it probably should be in the top 25.

The price might be a factor in the position but I don't think the clubhouse would have any effect on it.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 11:51:22 AM »

I go to Doonbeg quite a bit, it's busy up there frequently which would suggest it hasn't flamed out. It is a very good golf course, no real weak holes, the crossing of some of the holes is a bit awkward but far from disastrous

Being ranked 36th in Ireland doesn't mean the course isn't good or great. There are a lot of really good golf courses in the country. 36 is a low position for the course, it probably should be in the top 25.

The price might be a factor in the position but I don't think the clubhouse would have any effect on it.

If you stumbled across Doonbeg and had never heard of it, with a simple clubhouse like the old Clubhouse at Narin and Portnoo (haven't seen the new one),if the course was in a bit rattier yet charming condition and it cost 50 euro to play it....and Eddie hacket had designed it late one Sunday afternoon..........everyone here would be singing the praises of this wonderful hidden gem.....

nothing wrong with the course-just inflated expectations and prejudice based on the architect and the price--not my kind've place, but the course is excellent-as Padraig points out, there are an awful lot of good courses in the top 30
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 12:14:34 PM »
"I noticed Doonbeg ranked #37 on the recent GD list of Irish courses, a far cry from all the hype when the course opened."

It is interesting (and very curious) that Doonbeg is ranked #36 in Golf Digest's list of just Irish courses and yet is ranked #37 in Golf World's ranking of all courses in GB&I. 

If nothing else, this is a great example of how opinions can vary and how dubious and subjective rankings really are.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »

It is interesting (and very curious) that Doonbeg is ranked #36 in Golf Digest's list of just Irish courses and yet is ranked #37 in Golf World's ranking of all courses in GB&I. 

Well it shows that there is atleast one course on the mainland that managed into the top 36 irish courses ;D

Jon

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 09:33:07 AM »
I played it once shortly after it opened. I thought it was nothing special. Didn't care for the routing and the fact that you were in danger a few times with tees criss crossing fairways.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back