News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Dan King

Re: The $500.00 Dollar Golf Trip - in 1933
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 06:34:49 PM »
This post didn't get a lot of views and no responses. I enjoyed the article from a history viewpoint. The idea of crossing the country for golf was not something very common in 1933. The flight from Chicago left at 5:00 at night and arrived in SF at 6:45 in the morning. The plane had to land in Des Moines, Omaha, Cheyenne, Salt Lake City, Reno and Sacramento. It reminded me of trying to fly from California to Paraguay.

Cheers,
Dan King
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do - especially in other people's minds.  When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then.  People don't have your past to hold against you.  No yesterdays on the road. 
 --William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

C. Sturges

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:09:34 AM »
Great post!  I want to sign up for that trip!  I wonder how much that trip would cost now and how much harder it would be to play the same courses.
Thanks, Chris

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 02:19:37 PM »
Dan,
I also liked the little slice if history this article provides. What an adventure, flying across the US in an airplane like a Douglas DC-1 or a Boeing 247. The take-off alone must must have been thrilling, listening to the twin  700+ horsepower engines throttling up, noticing your seat leveling off as the increasing ground speed pops the tail up off the runway, then feeling the gravity-defying rush as the wheels leave the ground and you watch the earth falling away beneath you.
The anticipation for a trip of this magnitude in 1933 would have been nearly as exhilarating as the flight itself.  There were only 474k total air passengers during the entire year, against a population of a tad over 125.5 million, roughly 1 flier for every 26.5 people. Today that number is 1 for6.

Chris,
Five hundred 1932 dollars is somewhat comparable to 8,400 2010 dollars (CPI calculator). I have no idea what the exact same trip would cost today, but I think it would more than $8,400.00.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back