News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Galea

Red Hill Country Club
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:16:13 AM »
Can anyone share info on the George Thomas/Billy Bell designed Red Hill Country Club in Rancho Cucamonga?
Topography, green sites, playing tips.
"chief sherpa"

Stan Dodd

Re: Red Hill Country Club
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 12:37:52 AM »
Pete,
I played Red Hill a couple of times in SCGA events.  I liked it.  Greens are on the small side and well bunkered.  Driver is not essential on many holes, particularly the first.  Alot of old sycamores lining fairways and protecting greens.  Like any where keep it below the hole and don't short side yourself particularly with back pins.  Bunker recoveries are somtimes easier than chips.  It was in excellent shape and greens were quick when I played.

Jon Spaulding

Re: Red Hill Country Club
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 12:33:09 PM »
Can anyone share info on the George Thomas/Billy Bell designed Red Hill Country Club in Rancho Cucamonga?
Topography, green sites, playing tips.

Pete, here is a brief thread I posted some time ago with a few photos. Be sure to not beard pull or go looking for Thomas/Bell. It can be frustrating and make for a long day.

Even so, it's a good golf course and definitely a 2nd tier in Southern CA. The water bunker is one of the more comical things I have seen in my golfing life.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,29401.0/

Regards the golf course, it plays about as Stan describes.

The greens are quite fast, small, generally tilted from back to front, well bunkered. So, if you miss short, you're in good shape. Forget up and down from the sides or the rear of the green.

The rye rough is usually substantial and well groomed, deep. The fairways are bermuda and really run out, but narrow, generally 25-40 yards in width.

You do not need driver, but I think you're better to play into the greens with wedges out of the rough than long irons from the fairway.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back