News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Tom Bendelow being frozen out of World Golf Hall of Fame ?
« on: November 03, 2010, 09:30:44 PM »
http://www.scottishgolfview.com/2010/11/aberdonian-who-played-leading-part-in.html

Tom Bendelow's name being frozen out of World Golf Hall of Fame   
By COLIN FARQUHARSON

It seems that past United States president George H W Bush is considered worthy of a place in the World Golf Hall of Fame - but not so Aberdeen-born Tom Bendelow, pictured, a pioneer in the designing of golf courses all over North America after he emigated to the States in the 1890s.

Tom's American grandson Stuart Bendelow has worked tirelessly for many years to gain recognition for his grandfather whose part in the development of golf in America has been largely ignored by the historians and bodies such as those who run the World Golf Hall of Golf.

Stuart Bendelow has sent me the following E-mail:

Here's a status report on the effort to get Tom Bendelow into the World Golf Hall of Fame (WGHOF) in St.Augustine, Florida.

In an E-mail I received on October 26, 2010 from Mark Cubbedge of the WGHOF, I was informed that,
"Tom Bendelow was not officially nominated during the most recent balloting process. As you know names have to be put forth via the Lifetime Achievement nominatiion form that goes to the International Voting Body."

Apparently none of the authorised parties or individuals who could submit his name in nomination did so or their submission was rejected. I don't know which. The entire process seems to me to be very controlled and secretive.

It has been made very clear to me that I cannot put forth Tom Bendelow's name nor his achievements for the WGHOF's consideration. It must come from a WGHOF recognised source.

The 2010 inductees to the WGHOF will be installed in May 2011. Former President George H. W. Bush will be inducted in the Lifetime Achievement Category. In 2009, the inductee for Lifetime Achievement was former President Eisenhower.

It would be quite fitting to get Tom into the WGHOF prior to the 2012 Ryder Cup Tournament to be played at Medinah Country Club (one of the many courses Tom Bendelow designed).

I believe the documentation of Tom Bendelow's golf career sufficiently supports his qualifications for induction into the WGHOF.

We just need a qualified individual or party to place his name in nomination in time for the WGHOF's selection of the 2012 class. That selection process will probably take place in the early months of 2011.

I have greatly appreciated the support and encouragement many of you have given me over the years. I hope we can work together to clear this last hurdle.

Best regards to all.
Stuart Bendelow
Published by scottishgolfview.com

RJ_Daley

Re: Tom Bendelow being frozen out of World Golf Hall of Fame ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »
Let's just hope they have people on their nominations committee process who have an actual sense of golf history and of its golf course design/architecture.  Anyone who would read Stuart Bendelow's book couldn't come to any other conclusion that Tom Bendelow was one of the true giants of spreading golf and the profession of golf course architecture throughout America.  His design and architecture run the complete gammut of simple lay outs to complex drawing and even plistecene modeling.  That doesn't even begin to speak to Bendelow's  writing-editing and match official and touament organizing contributions.  The man was a giant and totally deserves his moniker or "The Johnny Appleseed" of golf course architecture in America.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:24:13 PM »
This is where we need a Wayne Morrison.

To set up a GCA historic architectural on line museum.

It would need a monthly fee for us to subscribe, and Wayne would be builder and provider of exploration.  He could evaluate the contribution of guys like Tom Paul, and pay him a contribution fee.

What do you think ?

Willie

Dan King

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:30:24 PM »
I'm all for Bendelow getting into the Hall, but it doesn't even come close to the slight of Warren Zevon missing from the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

Cheers,
Dan King
I'll sleep when I'm dead.
 --Warren Zevon

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:48:40 PM »
oops, post removed as it was meant for an IM...  :-\ ::)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:20:06 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:47:39 PM »
What golf architects are in the golf hall of fame?

Tom MacWood

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 11:14:52 PM »
I just checked and there aren't that many gca members in the hall: Dye, RTJ, Mackenzie, CBM and Ross. There are others, but more on their golfing merits I'm thinking. No disrespect to Tom Bendelow, but there is a small bus load I'd recommend before TB.

DMoriarty

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 11:29:27 PM »
This is where we need a Wayne Morrison.

To set up a GCA historic architectural on line museum.

It would need a monthly fee for us to subscribe, and Wayne would be builder and provider of exploration.  He could evaluate the contribution of guys like Tom Paul, and pay him a contribution fee.

What do you think ?

Willie

Mr. Dow,

With the way that Wayne Morrison has manipulated the rules and records of both Merion Golf Club and Merion Cricket Club for his own personal reasons, I would hardly consider him qualified for any sort of role that would require any sort of transparency or objectivity on his part.   Same goes for TEPaul.  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:31:00 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 11:47:19 PM »
This is a staggering revelation. What the F--- did George HW Bush do for golf other than play the and be a nice guy. Then to frame it around quality people not being included, lends one to wonder...... Maybe WGHF is controlled by the Sandi Royal Family and the Carlyle Group. lol Crazy yes but again What the F---- is Bush doing in a golf hall of anything.

DMoriarty

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 11:51:07 PM »
This is a staggering revelation. What the F--- did George HW Bush do for golf other than play the and be a nice guy. Then to frame it around quality people not being included, lends one to wonder...... Maybe WGHF is controlled by the Sandi Royal Family and the Carlyle Group. lol Crazy yes but again What the F---- is Bush doing in a golf hall of anything.

That was my thought too.  How can an organization have any credibility with such inductions?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 12:17:02 AM »
Welcome aboard the train!

I've been screaming about this in various articles, interviews, radio programs and even 2 TV shows for several years now. There are so many architects not in that it is an embarrassment to the hall.

Don't just criticize the inductions of BOTH pres. Bush's & Eisenhower... Can anyone tell me what BOB HOPE did that put him into the hall ahead of Tilly, Hlynn, Maxwell, Thompson, Colt, Allison, Raynor & so many more including Bendelow? Likewise Bing Crosby and Dinah Shore and Michael Bonnalock, Mark McCormack, Karsten Solheim, and Richard Tufts to name just a few who have been inducted by means of the lifetime achievement award.

Understand, I am NOT challenging whther or not anu of those I mentioned belong in the Hall; rather, I simply cannot fathom how any of them deserve to be in BEFORE Tilly, Flynn, Maxwell, Thompson, Colt, Allison, Raynor, Bendelow, and so many other architects.

Everyone knows my feeling toward tilly, but he could even qualify through the WRITER'S wing as the equal of Herb Graffis when you consider the volumes he wrote beginning in 1898 until his last article appeared in 1940, on top of which were two highly regarded books and the golf editor of at least 4 major journals that we are aware of.

Unlike any other game golf is COMPLETELY dependent upon its DESIGNED playing fields and the great players are defined by the championships they win on the GREAT COURSES of both their day and today.

Anyway, off my soap box again...

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 10:01:03 AM »
Tom Bendelow may deserve to be in the World Golf Hall of Fame.

But, I believe there aren't many other people more deserving than A.W. Tillinghast. As Phil points out, think about his contributions over many, many years, beginning pre-1900, as an architect, writer, player, etc. Amazing. Tillinghast was a key figure at growing the game during golf's infancy in America.

The clear "ignorance" of those in-charge of the World Hall of Fame is unfortunate. And, it's really discrediting the institution by comparison with the Baseball Hall of Fame for example. Too bad, really.
jeffmingay.com

JR Potts

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 10:07:45 AM »
I don't know if there's any architect responsible for brinigng the game to more people than Tom Bendelow.  While I wouldn't for a second argue that he was the most skilled or studied, he was an ESSENTIAL component to growth and sustainability of the game of golf.

Bendelow, et. al., being overlooked in favor of George Bush is a slap in the face to golf lovers.

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 10:26:43 AM »
The World Golf Hall of Fame is a complete joke. An LPGA player gets in when they are 20-something because they won a pre-determined amount of 2nd Tier LPGA events. While Ike and H.W. have promoted golf well over the years and have given back to the game, can it honestly be at a "Hall of Fame" level? What was a side interest for them was a LIFE PASSION for men like Bendelow, as well as the other designers listed in Phil's post above.

Total joke...
H.P.S.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »
To me the real problem is that there isn't a separate architects wing for the hall.

Architects such as Crenshaw and Nicklaus and Palmer could be judged on the merits for that specific aspect of their work and, if deserving, be inducted again for that. If there was a separate wing for golf writers, as there certainly should be as many a great golf writer is also denied recognition for the very same reasons that architects miss out, then Tillinghast, Max Behr, Walter Travis and many others could be given consideration for how this aspect of their work effected the game and its growth.

With all these being considered for a single annual spot through the lifetime achievement category, consider this. In about 10 years from now, Justin Timberlake, with his annual tournament, will have accomplished as much, and when one considers his work on environmentally sound golf course practices, even more than Dinah Shore, who is already in! Should Justin Timberlake go in before Tom Doak? That is the same comparison with Dinah Shore and Tilly.

In fact, I am quite surprised that Hootie and the Blowfish haven't been given strong consideration for the many years of their annual post-Augusta charity event!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
Maybe the problem is us, that we have to have some sort of reoccuring validation in or lives in superficial demonstrations of confirmations of our beliefs like cariing about who is in or out of a hall of fame, which is basically nothing but a tourist attraction designed to market for the PGA.  I'm not saying the organization of the PGA, or MLB or NFL NHL, shouldn't have their halls of fame.  I've been to a couple with the kids years ago and they are entertaining and informative.  But, to need validation, and to make such a quest of being installed as such confirmation of a lifetime of achievement may not be as comparable as the actual story that is better documented in the historical books, records, or other rememberances and the products left behind by the greats of this particular field.  The most lasting tribute has to be the preservation of their work, IMHO.

Stuart's book on Tom Bendelow, or the Wolfe Bros, and Phil Young's work chronicalling Tille, etc, The Toronto Terror, etc., are more intellectual tribute to these seminal contributors to the game of golf, than some ceremony of marketting that is selective and not complete by virtue of its very process, THOF can't be all incompassing. 

Installing GHWB or some other celebrity promoer of golf, is just a statement about the decision makers paying attention to the pop culture; not really a serious historical consideration that strives to preserve the purity of the pantheon of relavant foundational figures, IMHO.

The books and historical story, told by caring writers are the most lasting tribute, IMHO. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »

How cold hearted some of you are. Here is Stuart trying to do something for his grandfather who like it or not has a fairly good record and has given pleasure to many.

I will if asked try and help him in anyway I can to see Tom takes his place in the Golf Hall of Fame

What’s wrong with some of you, upset because you have no famous sporting relatives and just bloody jealous. Seems Ran you did not Cull deep enough, there are still a few rotten apples left that need removing ASAP.

AS I said I will support Stuart in any reasonable way and I hope that anyone who is aware of his grandfather  feels the same.  Why can't we just celebrate the great names of the past. :'(

Melvyn

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 12:27:09 PM »

How cold hearted some of you are. Here is Stuart trying to do something for his grandfather who like it or not has a fairly good record and has given pleasure to many.

I will if asked try and help him in anyway I can to see Tom takes his place in the Golf Hall of Fame

What’s wrong with some of you, upset because you have no famous sporting relatives and just bloody jealous. Seems Ran you did not Cull deep enough, there are still a few rotten apples left that need removing ASAP.

AS I said I will support Stuart in any reasonable way and I hope that anyone who is aware of his grandfather  feels the same.  Why can't we just celebrate the great names of the past. :'(

Melvyn

What are you talking about? I just re-read the thread and no one says that Tom Bendelow should NOT be placed into the hall of fame, in fact, most are suggesting there are many other GCA's that should be as well.

Where are you reading that anyone who posted on the thread is "bloody jealous" because we have no "famous sporting relatives"?
H.P.S.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 01:14:28 PM »
Pat

In answer to your question have you got a mirror?

Melvyn

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 01:57:03 PM »
Melvyn,

As Pat said, "What are you talking about?"

Stuart Bendelow is right, Tom Bendelow does deserve to be in the Hall of Fame yet his ability to be inducted is more than that he hasn't been officially nominated or represented properly before the committee.

My brining up Tilly, as well as a number of other very deserving architects was to highlight that those who make the decisions on this in the Hall of Fame do not give credence to golf course architects as being as important a part of the game as politicians, dignitaries and celebrities.

I have been personally encouraging, cajoling, arguing and occasionally even getting angry with some of those "decision-makers" about the issue of golf course architects not being properly recognized for the impact they've had on the game for more than a few years now. My belief that Tilly should be installed in the Hall before ANYONE ELSE living or dead because of what i consider to be an unparrallelled career in numerous aspects of the game is a personal opinion only and I would be the seccond person, right after Stuart to jump top my feet and cheer the good news if Tom was installed before Tilly or any other architect because he deserves to be in there.

The problem is that NO ARCHITECTS are being shown respect by the Hall or those that consider who should be recognized and inducted.

Consider the FIVE men inducted because of their lifetime achievements as architects and the person next to four of them who was induceted BEFORE THEY WERE! There is simply no excuses acceptable for these "oversights":

Alister Mackenzie in 2005 while Karsten Solheim in 2001?
Charles Blair Macdonald in 2007 Mark McCormack in 2006
Pete Dye in 2008 Bob Hope in 1983
Robert Trent Jones Sr. in 1987 Bing Crosby in 1978
Donald Ross in 1977 was the 1st architect inducted.

I'm sorry Melvyn, but the issue of Bendelow being inducted is simply a small part of a rather large injustice toward those who have created the places where the game is played and the courses that define the greatness of the players.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 02:51:19 PM by Philip Young »

PCCraig

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 02:17:05 PM »
Pat

In answer to your question have you got a mirror?

Melvyn

Are you kidding? Please find any quote above from my post or anyone else's that says that Tom Bendelow should NOT be included in the hall of fame. Every single person is supporting Stewart Bendelow and his e-mail.

You are clearly right about one thing: "Seems Ran you did not Cull deep enough, there are still a few rotten apples left that need removing ASAP." 

H.P.S.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 02:45:29 PM »

Philip

I do not disagree with you but the subject matter is one Tom Bendelow, not anyone else. Its his contributions that are being discussed and so should we not honour that topic.

I have no problem adding on others , or how the pecking order should go, but we should recognise all that deserve note. On this occasion the article was I believe Bendelow. To side line his input because we each favour others is not right on this occasion.

Tilly achieved more than Tom, perhaps, that’s not the debate at the moment but seeming to be jealous because Tom may be in before others is just plain wrong.

Want Tilly in, I’m with you and you have my support, but not at the expense of another. WE are not judge and jury just because we research document

So I feel it wrong to suggest another or promote our hero while discussing the merits of the original individual.

Melvyn

PS Pat, How you survived the cull is way beyond me because you are not worthy to lick the boots of some who have had to leave.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »
I don't think we'll see an architect's wing at the WGHoF, the golfing public people might become aware of what constitutes reasonably good architecture and the business side of golf thrives off the fact that a huge chunk of them don't know s**t from shinola about it. It's more profitable to keep folks distracted with conditioning and price rather than having millions of them complaining to the management about the lack of 'architecture' the next time they drop a C-note to play a course built by________.  :o

No one at the WGHoF is going to shake up the status quo.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 03:02:42 PM »
Melvyn,

"So I feel it wrong to suggest another or promote our hero while discussing the merits of the original individual."

The "merits of the individual," or any individual being considered for a high honor such as this, is based upon COMPARISONS of his peers and the work that they did. If one were to compare Bendelow's works vs. a number of other architects not in the Hall, he might very well come up short in the opinion of a number of people. Yet I did not do that and you simply don't seem to understand that I was trying to illustrate just how difficult it will be for Bendelow OR ANY OTHER ARCHITECT to be inducted into the Hall.

Stuart's reasoning on why His forebear has yet to receive this honor is, in my opinion, far too restrictive. I believe that if he looked at the larger picture he would see that it is not a personal attack on Bendelow, just as it is not on Tilly or Flynn or Maxwell, etc.; rather it is another in a long line of examples of how little those who should be "protecting the history of the game" are simply not doing so.

That is why I feel very strongly that my comments, and those of others are most appropriate and that your judgement that "but seeming to be jealous because Tom may be in before others is just plain wrong..." shows a complete lack of understanding as to both what has been said and a COMPLETE support and agreement that Stuart is correct and that Tom Bendelow should be in the Hall of Fame because of his architectural accomplishments.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »
This whole thing is fairly typical. History just gets no love.
If the person or event wasn't on TV, people don't care.
I think the 'greatest golfer' debates mirror this. Jones, Braid, Morris Jr., Robertson will never get considered because they aren't of recent memory.
Then you add politics into the mix and...
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back