News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

The "Double Hazard"
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:23:35 PM »
After hearing Brad Klein speak about "Double Hazards" at Mountain Ridge, I realized that my current "home course" has one- the 8th at Talamore in Ambler, PA.- a tree adjacent to a bunker.  Here is a pic:

Any other examples out there?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff_Brauer

Re: The "Double Hazard"
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:47:07 PM »
That tree doesn't appear to be on the typical line of play, unless you are right of the bunker.  Not as bad as a tree between bunker and green.  It does hinder certain backswings, which would cause complaints from the unlucky soul near the tree, I am sure.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:33:54 AM »
Steve,

I would bet that you have seen that tree "save" more shots from going in the junk on the right than restrict backswings.  Correct?

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:47:17 AM »
It does hide the "sand pro entry exit crevasse" prevalent at so many courses.  What a horrible machine.

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 10:12:21 AM »
Yes.  My home course has one obvious double hazard and two more that I would call partial. 

The obvious one calls for a bunker shot from about 75 yards directly over a tree.  The picture is not a great one.  The tree in question is the one on the right.  You can only see about 1 and 1/3 of a grouping of 3 bunkers on the right.  The left bunker is the only one that may offer an unobstructive shot to the green.  If you are in the other two you're in trouble.

I call the other two partial  because it really depends on where the pin is on the green or where your ball is in the bunker.  Sometimes you're OK and sometimes you're not.

If you're in the far left bunker you're having to hit over the corner of the large group of trees.  If the pin is on the left portion of the green it really doesn't matter which bunker you're in as your shot is obstructed.  Distance of your bunker shot may range from 80 to 120 yards.

If you're in the back portion of this bunker then you're most likely laying up.  It's a 150 to 160 yard second shot.

If I reluctantly had to rationalize this, I would say in most cases there is a lot of room to play away from the double hazards in question.

Wow...can a double hazard add more strategy (risk/reward) to a hole than a single one  ;)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »
Here's another from Talamore- courtesy of Joe Bausch. This one has the tree in the bunker on the par4 9th hole:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:36:29 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 02:42:57 PM »
Here's another from Talamore- courtesy of Joe Bausch. This one has the tree in the bunker on the par4 9th hole:

Steve- Are you a fan of the tree in the bunker? It looks unnatural with the surrounds.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 03:06:49 PM »
This from the par 4 8th at Lake Nona:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 04:25:13 PM »
Tim,

I don't like trees in hazards or anywhere else on a golf course except on the perimeter.

A tree in a hazard is a double hazard as Brad Klein has pointed out in his presentation at Mountain Ridge.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back