News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

The Battle of the Shire Boys @ BRANCASTER
« on: November 02, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »
The Battle of the Shire Boys @ BRANCASTER

Yesterday James Boon (aka Boony) from DERBYSHIRE and myself (aka Bam Bam) from RUTLANDSHIRE had an eventful match on the hallowed links of the Royal West Norfolk Golf Club better known locally as Brancaster on a wonderful morning in early November.

The entrance gates to the course which also doubles as a WW1 memorial

Hole 1 - Boony hit a cracking tee shot down the middle of the 70-80 yard wide opening fairway.

Hole 1 - Bam Bam in a hurry hit a horrendous push off the tee that nearly went in the marshes but fortunately ended up in the long rough bordering the path on the 18th hole and still halved the hole!

Hole 2 – Bam Bam releases a duck hook which almost ended up on 16th green!!

Hole 3 – Boony does a ‘Booner’ (Boony’s version of a boomer) off the tee and almost carries the marsh but unfortunately ends just in the marsh – 2 shots to get out of it!

Hole 3 – Bam Bam’s 2nd bunker shot after getting out of a fairway bunker

Hole 5 – this is a tribute to Eric Smith – GCA’s no.1 Star Wars fan! Boony and I have christened this bunker the Sarlacc!!

Hole 5 – Bam Bam’s approach shot which nearly hit the flag!

Hole 6 – Boony’s tee shot which was a slight pull which ended up left of the green

Hole 8 – Boony working out tactics on how to take on Brancaster’s most strategic hole

Hole 9 – Boony and Bam Bam on the tee its quite wild out there!

Hole 9 – Bam Bam strolling down the fairway! Clubhouse is visible from the furthest point of the course!

Hole 9 – Bam Bam taking an unorthodox route to the green thanks to a topped second shot!

Boony and Bam Bam ‘on the way home’

Hole 10 - Bam Bam putt to win the hole just glanced the edge!

Hole 12 – Boony releases another Booner!

Hole 12 – taking on a challenging punchbowl green!

Hole 13 – Boony hitting a firm second to the green

Hole 13 – Boony reading the line on a testing putt!

Hole 14 – Boony attempting to get out of a deep bunker!

Hole 15 – A photo of a serious GCA nut!

Hole 15 – Bam Bam coming off the green with a dormie

Hole 16 – Boony is checking out beach huts!

Hole 16 – Bam Bam drive clears this unusual bunker

Hole 17 – Enjoying the view of the beach and the clubhouse jutting out in view

Hole 18 – Bam Bam unleashes a huge drive down the uphill last fairway

Hole 18 – Bam Bam attempts a birdie putt on the last green which shaves the hole!

The sign  of two happy GCA’ers coming off the last green of a wonderful course to play on!

Battle of the Shire boys resulted in a 3/2 win for Bam Bam. Both players had a lot of birdie opportunites but were unable to convert them.

Cheers
Ben

PS - Boony is currently doing a photo thread of the course for you all!

James Boon

Re: The Battle of the Shire Boys @ BRANCASTER
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 04:24:58 PM »
Thanks for posting my worst round for a while for all to see! My irons were as rubbish as usual but my putting was well off, though I did just miss that eagle putt on 7...

I'll try and get a photo tour sorted soon and post more constructive comments later.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:35:43 PM »
Thanks for posting my worst round for a while for all to see! My irons were as rubbish as usual but my putting was well off, though I did just miss that eagle putt on 7...

I'll try and get a photo tour sorted soon and post more constructive comments later.

Cheers,

James

Boony,

I did not play great either - but was lucky on 2 shots on both 14 and 15 as well as getting away with a half on the 1st ;D
But in the end it was a good match and we enjoyed playing on a great and unique golf course!

Cheers
Ben

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 04:52:22 PM »

Never seen one of those before.

Shire Boys? You guys are Hobbits then, right? ;D There's only one series I like as much as Star Wars and that's TLOTR.

Talk about playing on the beach! What a cool, old world looking golf course. Thanks for the match play commentary.

Glad your back is feeling better, Ben.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 05:05:34 PM »

Never seen one of those before.

Shire Boys? You guys are Hobbits then, right? ;D There's only one series I like as much as Star Wars and that's TLOTR.

Talk about playing on the beach! What a cool, old world looking golf course. Thanks for the match play commentary.

Glad your back is feeling better, Ben.

Eric,

I also have never seen a bunker like this! with a railway sleepered bridge in between. Boony and I live in the East Midlands and another name for it is the Shires as all the counties in the East Midlands have 'shire' at the end of their name! (with the exception of Rutland - which has been called Rutlandshire in the past)

Back is still a bit stiff now very little pain thanks to acupuncture  ;D but I now have 3 sucessive sub 80 rounds in a row so its looking good for next BUDA!

Cheers
Ben

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 05:08:19 PM »
Oh oh! I nearly forgot Boony got put off his chip on the 15th by 2 little terriers which were running aroun like mad on the 15th green!!
There were a couple of dog waterbowls on the course which allows any dogs not just the customary black labrador!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 05:11:04 PM »
Thank you.  A fun place deserves a fun thread.

Glad Bam Bam seems well on the road to recovery.

(Bringing a your own cameraman with you raises the bar on here!)

The huts and the clearance to the beach seem new?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 05:29:59 PM »
Thank you.  A fun place deserves a fun thread.

Glad Bam Bam seems well on the road to recovery.

(Bringing a your own cameraman with you raises the bar on here!)

The huts and the clearance to the beach seem new?

Tony,

As far I can remember the beach huts have always been right of the 16th tee maybe they have cleared out the bushes and made it more visible. The clearance to the beach - they are in the process of refencing the boundary off the 16th green and 17th tee. It made a good photo!

Cheers
Ben

Jamie Barber

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »
I remember the beach huts too, I hit a socket rocket off that par 3 :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back