News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Carey

Sand Buckets on Par Threes
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:43:44 PM »
I have gotten int a discussion about maintenance of Par Three Tees.  I think most courses now put sand buckets out to keep the tees boxes in better shape and it is a great idea.  Others have said "high end" courses don't put them out since they look tacky.  Can you please let me know what "high end" courses and highly respected clubs use sand buckets on par threes?

Thanks

Paul

Ben Kodadek

Re: Sand Buckets on Par Threes
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 01:19:27 PM »
Paul,

I've played a couple of higher end courses that "bury" the sand buckets so they sit flush with the ground.   They then fill them with bottles of sand/mix so you don't have to bend over too far.  I think this is a great option as divots get filled but there is no eyesore associated with the boxes.

Matt Wharton

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »
Paul,

I can't speak for other courses but we do NOT have them at my club where I am the super (CGC in Charlotte, NC).  When we were reopening after our restoration the club chose a very minimal amount of accessories and containers for divot sand on tee boxes was not selected (we do not have ball washers either).  As for our teeing grounds we do not have any problems keeping on top of our divot situation.  This is on all tees, not just par 3's.  It just depends on what the members want to see and staying committed.

Also, since we have bermudagrass tees and fairways we use a colored sand during the growing season then switch to a white sand during the time the turf is dormant.
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Matt Bosela

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 01:50:36 PM »
Here's my favourite...pretty good golf course too! ;)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:57:11 PM »
We have them and I think they are a good idea. One negative is that players think it is better to use the mix rather than replace a "full gouge" bentgrass divot that they normally would have replaced...which is wrong. I also wonder if over filling the divot leads to uneven tees over time.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »
We do not have divot boxes (or tee trays) on any tees, par 3s included. The staff fills divots on tees every morning when changing the tee markers. We also pick up any broken tees on and around the tee tops. I'd rather have our staff filling the divots to ensure then they are filled properly. I think that this is especially important, considering that we have tifeagle tee surfaces.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Alister Matheson

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »
I think it best the greens staff refill divots on tees no matter how much you try to educate members on the correct way to do it you will always get a small percentage who leave a filthy mess behind lots and lots of clubs have tried this over the years very few stick with it.

ITS MORE REWARDING AS A GREENKEEPER TO SEE  MEMBERS/VISITORS RAKING BUNKERS PROPERLY AND REPAIRING PITCHMARKS PROPERLY.    ;D

Cheers
             Alister
Cruden Bay Links Maintenance Blog

http://crudenbaylinks.blogspot.com/

Mike McGuire

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 08:33:29 PM »
We do not have divot boxes (or tee trays) on any tees, par 3s included. The staff fills divots on tees every morning when changing the tee markers. We also pick up any broken tees on and around the tee tops. I'd rather have our staff filling the divots to ensure then they are filled properly. I think that this is especially important, considering that we have tifeagle tee surfaces.

I have thought the staff could do it and Im glad to hear some supers do it.

Players can go overboard with the sand and later in the day its a sand pit between the markers

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 10:03:44 AM »
It shouldn't be difficult to teach members of a club how to fill divots.  Personally, I like the idea of each member adopting a hole and doing what it takes to keep it tidy as they play it. 

So far as attractive buckets, this can't be hard to do or hide - its no big deal to me.  What I really dislike is carrying sand around.  Its alright for cartballers, but who wants to lug a few pounds of sand in their bag?  I usually see wakers use that sand as soon as possible - like in a few holes!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 10:15:03 AM »
We don't have them at my club and here is the reasoning of our superintendent:  there is fill on the golf carts which players can bring to the tee; players who walk are supposed to carry bottles of fill and there are boxes on every hole with fill to replenish those bottles; and his staff picks up the broken tees and moves the markers everyday so filling in the remaining divots takes very little time and is less effort than moving and filling a bucket of sand. 

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 11:59:32 AM »
Would the type of grass dicate whether sand is used; e.g., would you use sand if th teebox was zoysia?
Steve Pozaric

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 12:20:53 PM »
Would the type of grass dicate whether sand is used; e.g., would you use sand if th teebox was zoysia?

We filled zoysia tee divots with sand when I was at Long Cove.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back