News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

WOKING 30 DECEMBER: Cancelled
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:40:46 PM »
All

I booked three times for 6 players (I think we can get 9 players out of these times), but at the moment we can make room for a few stragglers if need be. The cost is £54 to include breakfast - at 10:15ish. A £100 deposit was paid by myself so the 9 players below are on the hook for £11 each regardless if they play or not.  If anyone wants to invite a mate or an enemy, you are more than welcome to do so, just let me know.

Boony
Spangles
The Yank
Paulie Wheller
Gareth Williams
Paul Nash
Mark Hodgkinson
Benghazie Dave
Tony Murphy

The Canary is on the fence and I expect to hear from him on New Year's Eve.  Others are welcome to sit the fence, but its spikey.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:01:15 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

Re: WOKING 30 DECEMBER: Anybody Up For A Break From Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »
Sean,

Very interested but it depends on family movements over the holiday (i.e. when we go to Edinburgh to see the out-laws).  Put me down as a maybe.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:08:49 PM »
Sean,

Assuming the snow stays away this year, I'm certain for this!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

JNC Lyon

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 04:10:18 PM »
Is Woking alone worth the trip from the US? Maybe...
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 04:13:37 PM »
Certainty. 

Thanks Sean.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Dan Boerger

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 04:21:08 PM »
I played Woking last year. Great place with really special green complexes ... but I wouldn't fly over just to play it. However, JNC I'm certain you could find other heathland gems to play on a trip over there or even take in London which is ALWAYS (IMO of course) worth the trip. Also, I would suggest you target the late spring/summer/early fall times to play.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

JNC Lyon

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 05:31:36 PM »
I played Woking last year. Great place with really special green complexes ... but I wouldn't fly over just to play it. However, JNC I'm certain you could find other heathland gems to play on a trip over there or even take in London which is ALWAYS (IMO of course) worth the trip. Also, I would suggest you target the late spring/summer/early fall times to play.

Dan, I have seen Woking twice, and it is my favorite heathland course.  I am a huge fan of the green complexes, which is why I jested (partially) that I might fly over just to play it with GCAers.  As for London, I had more than my fill of the city in my four-month stay there.

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:28:34 PM »
Hope you boys get better weather than we had last year!

Dan Boerger

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 12:44:28 PM »
JNC -- Gotcha!

I've played a strong handful of heathland courses, my favorites are WH (old or new), Swinley Forest and Woking. Throw a towel over them all ... I just want to be out there.

The day I played Woking the weather was fantastic. There was some society meeting reserved on the patio, but one of the members and I struck up a conversation and once he found out I really wanted to enjoy my beer on the patio and admiring the green, he gladly let us (I was with an ex-pat who's been living in Surrey for many years) join in.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 01:57:53 PM »
As for London, I had more than my fill of the city in my four-month stay there.

"Ah Grasshopper, you have much to learn”

JMEvensky

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 02:25:16 PM »

Perfect quote from a great book.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 10:39:45 PM »

Except, of course, peace and quiet.

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 11:41:38 AM »
Going once...

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 02:59:14 AM »
Worplesdon never got back with me so it looks like Woking going twice...

Ciao

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 02:15:09 AM »
This morning is your last chance.

Ciao

Paul Nash

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 08:12:06 AM »
Hi Sean
Count me in - hopefully it won't be an ice ring this year!
Cheers
Paul

Sean_A

Re: WOKING 30 DECEMBER: Booked For 6
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 06:39:59 PM »
Its a done deal - see the opening post.

Ciao

Gareth Williams

Re: WOKING 30 DECEMBER: Booked For 6
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 04:54:12 AM »
Thanks for organising and the invite Sean.

Look forward to it  :)

Sean_A

Re: WOKING 30 DECEMBER: Booked For 8
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 03:49:05 AM »
One place remaining.

Ciao

Sean_A

Re: WOKING 30 DECEMBER: Booked For 9
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 01:43:25 PM »
Last spot gone, but if others are interested let me know, perhaps we can increase the number of tee times.

Ciao

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 03:54:24 AM »
bump

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 08:23:32 PM »
Anybody have news about the Woking area in terms of golf?  I have a feeling its buried and so are we.

Ciao

Paul Nash

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 05:15:18 AM »
Hi Sean - Wokingham is still covered in snow and no courses open. Not sure about Woking which is about 15-20 miles up the road - but I am not particularly hopeful at this point!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 05:42:21 AM »
Just checked with a mate who went past Woking and West Hill on the train today "muchos snow"
Cave Nil Vino

James Boon

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 05:49:32 AM »
Sean,

The forecast (according to metcheck) is that by mid next week it will be getting a bit warmer, but only just above freezing so I'm not sure that will be enough to melt away enough snow? Of course that could easily change either way, so I'm happy to leave it till much closer before scrubbing.

I have though got an eye on Burnham as an alternative if we can't get to Woking if you or any of the others fancy it, not that the forecast is much warmer there, but as yesterday was the winter solstice things can only get better from here  ;D and Christmas this weekend so I'm happy and optomistic...  ::)

Merry Christmas everyone!

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back