News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Re: Buda IX - Open for business
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »
Bill/Craig

Would it be a good idea to co-ordinate the kit colours so that the teams look more like teams - i.e for the first day GB & I wear white shirts and the ROW wear black shirts (if everyone has one!) then different colours for the next two days.

Look forward taking on Drinkin' Joe again!!!

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:54:59 PM by Ben Stephens »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
Bill/Craig

Would it be a good idea to co-ordinate the kit colours so that the teams look more like teams - i.e for the first day GB & I wear white shirts and the ROW wear black shirts (if everyone has one!) then different colours for the next two days.

Look forward taking on Drinkin' Joe again!!!

Cheers
Ben

You're kidding, right?   ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2011, 02:26:57 AM »
I think Ben's on to something.  On day 1 GB&I could all wear yellow trousers and green shirts.  We can take it from there......
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2011, 06:27:16 AM »
I think Ben's on to something.  On day 1 GB&I could all wear yellow trousers and green shirts.  We can take it from there......

Mark

Any type of trousers will suffice - brightly coloured or textured in tribute of Wardo who will be missing this year!
All I am suggesting is to coordinate the shirt colours.

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:26:45 PM by Ben Stephens »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2011, 11:10:51 AM »
Short of wearing a dress, anything is fine with me to differentiate the forces of good (ROW) from evil.  On the other hand, maybe I should don a mini-skirt so there is no confusion as to why my driver works like a weak 5-iron.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2011, 02:00:27 PM »
UK handicaps are CONGU, American handicaps are based on GHIN indexes extrapolated to 125 slope plus the 10% equalizing adjustment

Hm, as someone sporting neither a CONGU nor a USGA handicap, what's my deal? I find it mathematically offending to have my 14.6 cut to 14, especially since I'm playing like an 18 - I am calling upon the honorable Mark Pearce to testify to that :)

In my experience the EGA handicaps fall somewhere in-between CONGU and USGA, so put me in there with Captain McBride at 16 and all is well :)

Ulrich
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:02:30 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2011, 05:28:05 PM »
Short of wearing a dress, anything is fine with me to differentiate the forces of good (ROW) from evil.  On the other hand, maybe I should don a mini-skirt so there is no confusion as to why my driver works like a weak 5-iron.

Lou,

It would be interesting to see you challenging Hankley/Liphook Golf Clubs on the dress code re: mini skirts!!

Cheers
Ben

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »
Hooray!  It's taken 3 BUDA's but I'm finally going to get a game with Bill McBride!
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom

Bill_McBride

« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »
Hooray!  It's taken 3 BUDA's but I'm finally going to get a game with Bill McBride!

You won't have a problem, I took a lesson Saturday!   ;D   But yes, I am looking forward to it.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2011, 11:16:10 AM »

Lou,

It would be interesting to see you challenging Hankley/Liphook Golf Clubs on the dress code re: mini skirts!!

Cheers
Ben

I am not one to challenge the traditions and sensibilities of fine English clubs distilled through many decades.  Besides, my vericose veins and Simian features would frighten the ladies and children.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2011, 11:18:25 AM »
Did Stan Dodd bail?  I was looking forward to seeing the Shield's winner.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2011, 11:33:13 AM »
UK handicaps are CONGU, American handicaps are based on GHIN indexes extrapolated to 125 slope plus the 10% equalizing adjustment

Hm, as someone sporting neither a CONGU nor a USGA handicap, what's my deal? I find it mathematically offending to have my 14.6 cut to 14, especially since I'm playing like an 18 - I am calling upon the honorable Mark Pearce to testify to that :)

In my experience the EGA handicaps fall somewhere in-between CONGU and USGA, so put me in there with Captain McBride at 16 and all is well :)

Ulrich

After your performance at Deal and RSG in Buda 7, the UK guys were pushing for 10.  14 seems a reasonable compromise.   ;)

Jason Topp

« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2011, 11:56:45 AM »
Based on the pairings I have the ROW up 8-3 after the first day.  McBride - I suggest you go with this approach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Msi4XLDrP4&feature=player_detailpage

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2011, 12:03:25 PM »
After your performance at Deal and RSG in Buda 7, the UK guys were pushing for 10.  14 seems a reasonable compromise.

I took some lessons since then ;-)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2011, 12:05:52 PM »
After your performance at Deal and RSG in Buda 7, the UK guys were pushing for 10.  14 seems a reasonable compromise.

I took some lessons since then ;-)

Ulrich

;D ;D

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
ROW 8-3 up on the pairings! How do you make that out?
Cave Nil Vino

John Mayhugh

« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2011, 12:16:49 PM »
It pains me to read this thread.  Wish I was able to make it this year.

Jason Topp

« Reply #192 on: September 19, 2011, 12:55:57 PM »

Keen insight from playing with about 2/3rds of the participants and observed their ability to recover from dinner the night before.  If I were playing I would predict 9-2.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2011, 01:01:29 PM »

Keen insight from playing with about 2/3rds of the participants and observed their ability to recover from dinner the night before.  If I were playing I would predict 9-2.
An insight based on last year's dominant performance by the USA team?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jason Topp

« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »

An insight based on last year's dominant performance by the USA team?

I recall we were destroyed.  Whitaker was begging to change the format so we would still have a chance the last round.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »
Based on the pairings I have the ROW up 8-3 after the first day.  McBride - I suggest you go with this approach:

I have a feeling about this, hesitate to say if it's good yet.  But thanks for helping us with the slagging.............

Alas poor Mayhugh.   :'(

Lou_Duran

« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2011, 11:47:28 AM »
Based on the pairings I have the ROW up 8-3 after the first day.  McBride - I suggest you go with this approach:

I have a feeling about this, hesitate to say if it's good yet.  But thanks for helping us with the slagging.............

Alas poor Mayhugh.   :'(

Capt. Bill,

I don't know how I can put any positive spin on my last 5 rounds (81, 89, 89, 85, 85), but I may have found something in the range yesterday AND my bad ankle is feeling better.  Hopefully this sliver of optimism won't be dashed by my round on a Dye course this afternoon.  In preparation for what awaits us, I'm planning on pulling a trolley.  Report and final handicap "adjustments" to follow.

Poor Mayhugh?  Do you know what he's been up to?  Probably sampling the finest in Long Island or Carmel for all we know.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2011, 12:37:40 PM »
Based on the pairings I have the ROW up 8-3 after the first day.  McBride - I suggest you go with this approach:

I have a feeling about this, hesitate to say if it's good yet.  But thanks for helping us with the slagging.............

Alas poor Mayhugh.   :'(

Capt. Bill,

I don't know how I can put any positive spin on my last 5 rounds (81, 89, 89, 85, 85), but I may have found something in the range yesterday AND my bad ankle is feeling better.  Hopefully this sliver of optimism won't be dashed by my round on a Dye course this afternoon.  In preparation for what awaits us, I'm planning on pulling a trolley.  Report and final handicap "adjustments" to follow.

Poor Mayhugh?  Do you know what he's been up to?  Probably sampling the finest in Long Island or Carmel for all we know.

All I know for sure is he couldn't make the Buda.  He'll be missed.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »
Other than price, can someone tell me the difference between a caddie and a bag carrier.  I am unfamiliar with the term bag carrier.
Thanks.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2011, 01:07:30 PM »
Lynn a bag carrier should do just that plus rake bunkers, replace divots and attend the flag. A caddie should do all of that plus give distances, help with reading putts, etc.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back