News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Buda IX - Open for business
« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2011, 08:23:52 AM »
Bill,

My information remains accurate, save that my handicap has gone out to 13.0 (which, with Lou's 30%, makes me 16.9, that is how it's supposed to work, isn't it?).

Mark

Only for ROW.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2011, 02:11:18 PM »
Not long now!

Gentlemen can you please bring CASH and pay either Craig or I on your first day.  Receipts will be given.  (Cheques made out to the clubs in Sterling will also be accepted.)

There's £245 to pay for all 3 days less the deposit you've already sent.  This covers Golf and Food at the club as per the first post on this thread.

Deposit Depending on the currency you paid in and when your money was transferred, yours is worth either  £91, £95 or £100 - a full account will be available on the day.

As we have society rates you pay by the day irrespective of whether you play one round or two or only take part of the catering on offer.

I’ve sent out an email to those address I have.  Liphook have asked us to preselect our food and we need a volunteer to forward the menu and collate the results. As I’m off on a two week holiday tomorrow,  I’m now out of here as they say.

I can’t figure how to manipulate the spreadsheet on the first page so I should confess now to a current handicap of 12.2.

If the Captains can be swayed I’d love to partner Jim Goby again. He was my first ever Foursomes partner at Hoylake of all places.  We’re currently unbeaten.

Finally, many, many thanks to Craig for making this happen. 

Yes indeed I’m excited.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Craig Disher

« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »
Would all the Budas please send me an email or an IM with their lunch/dinner choices for Thursday at Liphook. The club needs the info a week before so if you don't respond by the end of next week (9/18), someone else may make your decision for you - or you could get a random draw.

If anyone would like to bring a guest to the dinner, they're very welcome to do so. The additional cost would be 28GBP.

Lunch choices:
(A) Ham, Egg & Chips
(B) Cumberland Sausage, Mashed Potato & Onion Gravy
(C) Jacket Potato & Salad (Various fillings)
(D) Ham or Cheese Ploughman’s

Dinner choices:
Starter:
(A)   Soup of the Day
(B)   Prawn Cocktail
(C)   Smoked Fish Platter
(D)   Melon & Parma Ham
(E)   Egg Mayonnaise
(F)   Chicken Liver Pate

Main:
(A)   Steak & Mushroom Pie
(B)   Stuffed Fillet of Chicken
(C)   Fillet of Salmon with a Herb Crust
(D)   Braised Shank of Lamb
(E)   Homemade Curry (Medium) & Rice
(F)    Vegetarian selection

Dessert:
(A)   Fruit Crumble & Custard
(B)   Apple Pie
(C)   Raspberry Pavlova
(D)   Chocolate Fudge Cake
(E)   Bread & Butter Pudding
(F)   Chocolate Mousse

Giles Payne

« Reply #153 on: September 14, 2011, 07:36:01 AM »
Handicap now 11!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2011, 07:48:03 AM »
I somehow played off 17 at Pine Valley but came back to 12 at National and shot 79 so call me 14!  ;)
Cave Nil Vino

Lou_Duran

« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2011, 10:09:48 AM »
I somehow played off 17 at Pine Valley but came back to 12 at National and shot 79 so call me 14!  ;)

Curious how a "foreigner" can get invited to our best while most of us domestics can't even sniff the gate!  I've been waiting for Redanman's late season invite for nearly 10 years.  Like with my golf game, an exercise in futility and false hope.

Captain McBride,

My info on the worksheet is fine.  Goodale giving me 4 shots is about right unless he has been back on the tour in Scotland.  My last match was at Bandon; the results were entirely forgettable.

Craig Disher

« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2011, 11:58:19 AM »
Liphook will only offer a single choice for lunch and each dinner course. Given that, I suggest that these be our choices:

Lunch - Ploughman's (choice of either ham or cheese)

Dinner (trying to follow majority selections)

Starter - melon and parma ham
Main - cold fork buffet
Dessert - bread and butter pudding (will request that a fruit salad be available as an alternate)

Unless there is concerted opposition - or a better idea (e.g. the Main course offers a carvery but only with one cut of meat - roast beef, lamb, ham) - we'll inform Liphook of these choices.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »
Liphook will only offer a single choice for lunch and each dinner course. Given that, I suggest that these be our choices:

Lunch - Ploughman's (choice of either ham or cheese)

Dinner (trying to follow majority selections)

Starter - melon and parma ham
Main - cold fork buffet
Dessert - bread and butter pudding (will request that a fruit salad be available as an alternate)

Unless there is concerted opposition - or a better idea (e.g. the Main course offers a carvery but only with one cut of meat - roast beef, lamb, ham) - we'll inform Liphook of these choices.

I don't see "cold fork buffet" as one of the six choices.

But I'm sure it will be excellent when accompanied a few glasses of Chateau Liphook claret.   ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »
I'd normally laugh at the suggestion that Chappers should be a 14 but in a world where Goodale is claiming 8 and Lou Duran is being offerred 12, perhaps that's on the low side.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »
COLD FORK BUFFET !!!!!!!!!!!

We don't even get a warm meal ????
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
I'd normally laugh at the suggestion that Chappers should be a 14 but in a world where Goodale is claiming 8 and Lou Duran is being offerred 12, perhaps that's on the low side.....

Lou is 10, Rich's CONGU is 8, Chappers is 12.  Thus speaketh the Poobah. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2011, 01:46:12 PM »

Hopefully the food is warm and just the fork is cold. 

Craig Disher

« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »

Hopefully the food is warm and just the fork is cold. 

I'm still waiting for word from the club but I think the cold fork buffet is a cold buffet - possibly poached salmon and cold sliced meats. The alternative is a carvery with either roast beef, lamb, ham, pork or turkey (we would choose only one). I'm happy with either but highlighted the buffet since I thought there would be a variety - fish and meat - rather than just a single option. Send me your preference and we can go with the majority.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »
Variety - in golf and food :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2011, 05:11:17 PM »
Speaking of variety and since Google quotes me 45 minutes from BUDA HQ:

Hayling on Monday, the 26th?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Bill_McBride

Re: Buda IX - Wednesday Pairings Announced!
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »
Captains Peter Mallalieu (GB&I) and Bill McBride (ROW) are pleased to announce the first day's pairings for Buda
Cup IX.

(UK handicaps are CONGU, American handicaps are based on GHIN indexes extrapolated to 125 slope plus the 10% equalizing adjustment proposed by attorney Mark Pearce.)

Wednesday morning foursomes matches, commencing at 8:30 at Hankley Common:

1.    Ran Morrissett (9) and Joe Andriole (3) vs.  Ian Dixon (5) and Tony Muldoon (13)

2.    Lou Duran (10) and Ken Fields (12) vs.  James Boon (5) and Conrad Gamble (12)

3.    Lynn Shackelford (6) and Joe Buehler (9) vs.  Ben Stephens (5) and Jim Goby (16)

4.    Bill McBride (16) and Ulrich Mayring (14) vs.  Mark Pearce (13) and Robin Hiseman (10)

5.    Richard Goodale (eight) vs. Giles Payne (11) - front nine, and Mark Chaplin (12) - back nine

6.    Mike Whitaker (13) and Craig Disher (15) vs.  Tim Harris (14) and Peter Mallalieu (15)

Wednesday afternoon four ball best ball matches, commencing at 2:30 or earlier

1.    Ran Morrissett (9) and Lynn Shackelford (6) vs.  James Boon (5) & Conrad Gamble (12)

2.    Lou Duran (10) and Joe Buehler (9) vs.  Robin Hiseman (10) & Tony Muldoon (13)

3.    Michael Whitaker (13) and Ken Fields (12) vs.  Giles Payne (11) & Mark Pearce (13)

4.    Joe Andriole (3) and Richard Goodale (eight) vs.  Ian Dickson (5) & Ben Stephens (5)

5.    Craig Disher (15) and Ulrich Mayring (14) vs.  Tim Harris (14) & Mark Chaplin (12)

Let the games begin!

Pairings for Thursday will be drawn in the bar at the end of the day Wednesday.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:57:01 PM by Bill_McBride »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #166 on: September 16, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »
Bill,

I'm delighted that the committee is sufficiently confident of my play on Wednesday morning to cut me for the afternoon.  Do Robin and I get the point now, or do we actually have to play for it?

No doubt we can discuss during the afternoon round.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2011, 12:56:18 PM »
Bill,

I'm delighted that the committee is sufficiently confident of my play on Wednesday morning to cut me for the afternoon.  Do Robin and I get the point now, or do we actually have to play for it?

No doubt we can discuss during the afternoon round.

Mark

Whoops, error corrected.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2011, 12:57:48 PM »
Match 5 in the morning is one I'd pay to see.  If Chappers and Giles swapped round themn Mark would get a shot at the par 3 SI4 7th hole, which Giles wouldn't get.  I may have a word with Captain Mallalieu.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2011, 01:01:10 PM »
Match 5 in the morning is one I'd pay to see.  If Chappers and Giles swapped round themn Mark would get a shot at the par 3 SI4 7th hole, which Giles wouldn't get.  I may have a word with Captain Mallalieu.

Think again, sir.  Giles gets 1-1/2 shots in nine holes, Chappers 2.

Eric Smith

Re: Buda IX - Wednesday Pairings Announced!
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2011, 01:17:29 PM »
Captains Peter Mallalieu (GB&I) and Bill McBride (ROW) are pleased to announce the first day's pairings for Buda
Cup IX.

(UK handicaps are CONGU, American handicaps are based on GHIN indexes extrapolated to 125 slope plus the 10% equalizing adjustment proposed by attorney Mark Pearce.)

Wednesday morning foursomes matches, commencing at 8:30 at Hankley Common:

1.    Ran Morrissett (9) and Joe Andriole (3) vs.  Ian Dixon (5) and Tony Muldoon (13)

2.    Lou Duran (10) and Ken Fields (12) vs.  James Boon (5) and Conrad Gamble (12)

3.    Lynn Shackelford (6) and Joe Buehler (9) vs.  Ben Stephens (5) and Jim Goby (16)

4.    Bill McBride (16) and Ulrich Mayring (14) vs.  Mark Pearce (13) and Robin Hiseman (10)

5.    Richard Goodale (eight) vs. Giles Payne (11) - front nine, and Mark Chaplin (12) - back nine

6.    Mike Whitaker (13) and Craig Disher (15) vs.  Tim Harris (14) and Peter Mallalieu (15)

Wednesday afternoon four ball best ball matches, commencing at 2:30 or earlier

1.    Ran Morrissett (9) and Lynn Shackelford (6) vs.  James Boon (5) & Conrad Gamble (12)

2.    Lou Duran (10) and Joe Buehler (9) vs.  Robin Hiseman (10) & Tony Muldoon (13)

3.    Michael Whitaker (13) and Ken Fields (12) vs.  Giles Payne (11) & Mark Pearce (13)

4.    Joe Andriole (3) and Richard Goodale (eight) vs.  Ian Dickson (5) & Ben Stephens (5)

5.    Craig Disher (15) and Ulrich Mayring (14) vs.  Tim Harris (14) & Mark Chaplin (12)

Let the games begin!

Pairings for Thursday will be drawn in the bar at the end of the day Wednesday.

This is a beautiful thing, Bill. Kudos to you and Cpt. Mallalieu for your efforts!

My best wishes to all of you for what is bound to be a great time.

Cheers!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »
Eric, wish you were coming, but sell lots of mattresses!

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2011, 06:24:23 PM »
Gentlemen,

The Buda???? The 21st century's answer to Bernardo and Rye?

Being a neophyte I am not privy to all of the glorious history of this august forum.  Given this could someone in the inner circle explain to me the origin of the moniker applied to this almost venerable competition.

I have visions of rotund, portly chaps reflecting, long and hard, on the days round(s) but this is only because I conflate the Buda and Buddha!

Have a terrific time.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Bill_McBride

« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »
Gentlemen,

The Buda???? The 21st century's answer to Bernardo and Rye?

Being a neophyte I am not privy to all of the glorious history of this august forum.  Given this could someone in the inner circle explain to me the origin of the moniker applied to this almost venerable competition.

I have visions of rotund, portly chaps reflecting, long and hard, on the days round(s) but this is only because I conflate the Buda and Buddha!

Have a terrific time.

Cheers Colin

Colin, the battered trophy was found in a dusty antique shop in Budapest, on the Buda side, in a dimly lit back room.....

The event is an annual match play event, usually around 12 vs 12, mostly GCAers.  This year we're at Hankley Common and Liphook, two heathland courses south of London.  Three days, five matches a la the Ryder Cup.   

Scott Warren

« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2011, 06:42:46 AM »
I always enjoy the pre-Buda handicap wrangling!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back