News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: Buda IX - Open for business
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2011, 05:39:25 AM »
I'm playing in Deal on Sunday and at Hankley on Tuesday (so as to not miss any holes, seeing that we play all foursomes at BUDA). I'm still open for suggestions for Monday.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Paul Nash

« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2011, 12:41:08 PM »
Given its very close proximity, low cost (£50 for 18, £30 twilight after 4) and excellent quality, I would highly recommend Blackmoor for any gaps - it is only about 5-10 miles from Hankley or Liphook, as is Hindhead. Have a great Buda.

Frank Pont

« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »
Agree with Paul, Blackmoor is excellent, a good antidote of Colt seriousness versus some of the Simpson quirck at Liphook. Both have great heather and great par 3's

Bill_McBride

« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »
It appears the Buda is short one player, and there will have to be some give and take on composition of the sides if we are to be 12 vs  12. 

We need someone to step up and be that 24th player!

Craig, could you post the current rosters?   Thanks.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2011, 04:22:32 PM »
Bill I'll try and do that tomorrow.  There are ways of getting equal no's  so we won’t have any problems , but Yes we can squeeze one more in.

I’m off on holiday next weekend but I’ll send out an email to participants before I go. If you’ve never had an email from me in the past it would be very useful to get an IM now with your contact details on it.

Unless the next 3 weeks bring lots of poor weather I can report that heathland courses are in A1 condition at the moment. Fairways with alight brown tinge, greens hard, heather blooming; what more can a grown man want?

Paul, sadly Blackmoor has no availability either Fri PM or at the weekend, but yes it's on "my little list".

See Stoneham and Sean’s rating earlier in the thread if anyone is still looking for a weekend venue. Wonderful track.

Ulrich as a detour from Deal to Hankley can I suggest Royal ASShdown Forrest. Now if only someone had some photos's  ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Frank Pont

« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2011, 04:28:14 PM »
Tony, have you tried Tandridge? They might be able to accomodate you

Craig Disher

« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2011, 10:16:07 AM »
The full roster can be accessed from the first post in the thread - "Registration Information."

We have 24 players - 10 US and 14 GBI. I think Bill and Peter should negotiate a fair reassignment of a couple of the GBIs.

A few have said they won't be available for the full Buda Cup so we'll have to reduce matches or fill in with local players. I know that the Liphook member who was so helpful in arranging our visit would be interested in playing if he's around.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »
The full roster can be accessed from the first post in the thread - "Registration Information."

We have 24 players - 10 US and 14 GBI. I think Bill and Peter should negotiate a fair reassignment of a couple of the GBIs.

A few have said they won't be available for the full Buda Cup so we'll have to reduce matches or fill in with local players. I know that the Liphook member who was so helpful in arranging our visit would be interested in playing if he's around.

Captain Bill
Always a team player, if needed I can play Thursday A.M.  I had previously indicated a desire to rest that A.M.  After playing 36 on Wednesday I thought the U.S. would probably be so far in front that a bit of coasting would be possible.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2011, 11:37:03 AM »
Looking at the spreadsheet, there are some missing handicaps and/or indexes.   Could you please check the spreadsheet (top of page 1) and post your current number so Captain Mallieu and I can start thinking about pairings.  Thanks.  

For the USA players, please anyone with whom you would like to pair up.  or not, as the case may be.  

And if anyone has any ideas how we can reconcile UK CONGU handicaps with US GHIN handicaps for best matches, I would appreciate some advice.  (Will be helpful in trying to bring home the Cup for a change.)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »

Captain Bill
Always a team player, if needed I can play Thursday A.M.  I had previously indicated a desire to rest that A.M.  After playing 36 on Wednesday I thought the U.S. would probably be so far in front that a bit of coasting would be possible.

We'll get you to post up against Jim Goby that morning.   A little Buda humor. 

James Boon

« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2011, 12:33:16 PM »
Bill,

To aid you and Captain Mallieu, my current handicap has just crept back up to 6 and I'm planning on playing all 3 days.

And if anyone has any ideas how we can reconcile UK CONGU handicaps with US GHIN handicaps for best matches, I would appreciate some advice.  (Will be helpful in trying to bring home the Cup for a change.)

I believe the proper procedure, is to discuss it at length, come up with plenty of theories, some whacky, some sensible, debate it a little more, and the GB&I win!  ;) A little Buda banter to get us going...

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bill_McBride

« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2011, 12:38:57 PM »
Bill,

To aid you and Captain Mallieu, my current handicap has just crept back up to 6 and I'm planning on playing all 3 days.

I believe the proper procedure, is to discuss it at length, come up with plenty of theories, some whacky, some sensible, debate it a little more, and the GB&I win!  ;) A little Buda banter to get us going...

Cheers,

James

Unfortunately that's the path we have been following, which may account for the consistently poor results for Team USA.  We even tried mixing in some alcohol, to poor effect.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2011, 01:29:43 PM »
Bill,

Mr. Fields and I are carrying 11 shots each.

As for the USGA indexes... you just need to estimate a Slope Rating for the courses and look up the handicaps on the appropriate chart. Here is a link to a complete listing of slope charts: http://wsga.org/uploadedFiles/WSGARoot/About_Us/WSGA_Forms/slope_charts.pdf

Have fun!!!

Mike
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2011, 02:38:22 PM »
Bill,

Mr. Fields and I are carrying 11 shots each.

As for the USGA indexes... you just need to estimate a Slope Rating for the courses and look up the handicaps on the appropriate chart. Here is a link to a complete listing of slope charts: http://wsga.org/uploadedFiles/WSGARoot/About_Us/WSGA_Forms/slope_charts.pdf

Have fun!!!

Mike

[sotto voce mumble]   Must delegate this stuff.........

Mark Pearce

« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2011, 04:37:22 PM »
As far as pre-BUDA golf, three of us (Giles, Conrad and I) have a morning time at West Hill on the Tuesday.  In the afternoon we shall be joined by Messrs Goodale and Dickson and have two tee times.  Room for one more in the morning, up to three in the afternoon.

As to USGHIN handicaps we can do all the maths we like.  Or just add 10%.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2011, 06:04:22 PM »
As far as pre-BUDA golf, three of us (Giles, Conrad and I) have a morning time at West Hill on the Tuesday.  In the afternoon we shall be joined by Messrs Goodale and Dickson and have two tee times.  Room for one more in the morning, up to three in the afternoon.

As to USGHIN handicaps we can do all the maths we like.  Or just add 10%.

I counter 20%.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2011, 04:09:20 PM »
Captain McBride,

Add another 10 points for the home field advantage and round up- us Yanks don't have a clue about playing the ball on the ground- and we're getting close.  Mike at 11 + 30% = 14.3, rounded to 15 is fair, and you can pencil me in as his partner in a four ball.   

Bill_McBride

« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »
Captain McBride,

Add another 10 points for the home field advantage and round up- us Yanks don't have a clue about playing the ball on the ground- and we're getting close.  Mike at 11 + 30% = 14.3, rounded to 15 is fair, and you can pencil me in as his partner in a four ball.   

Taken under advisement.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »
Captain McBride,

Now that's just getting silly.  And I haven't forgotten the whipping you handed out to me and the African Animal last year.  You need no more shots that that hooky Texan (?) handicap.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »
Captain McBride,

Add another 10 points for the home field advantage and round up- us Yanks don't have a clue about playing the ball on the ground- and we're getting close.  Mike at 11 + 30% = 14.3, rounded to 15 is fair, and you can pencil me in as his partner in a four ball.    
Now that's just getting silly.  And I haven't forgotten the whipping you handed out to me and the African Animal last year.  You need no more shots that that hooky Texan (?) handicap.

Sir,

You must have me confused with someone else.  Said "African Animal" won't have anything to do with me for reasons unknown to me, but possibly having to do with my unusual attempt at good manners by suggesting that we might play the forward tees when I hosted him near Dallas years ago.  If memory serves, it was you and your brother Conrad who gave Craig and me the thrashing.  Well deservedly, I might add.   
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:28:41 PM by Lou_Duran »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2011, 05:30:54 PM »
If you want to settle this issue once and for all, I can get that done for BUDA 2012 :)

I have written a program (you can download it under http://www.golfcv.de) that can calculate EGA, USGA and CONGU handicaps from your scores. More importantly, the program can also generate mass data for statistical analysis. With a little tweaking I could let it generate tens of thousands of rounds that would be typical for golfers of various playing abilities and then compare the calculated handicaps.

Come to think of it, I could even put golfers against each other in match play and calculate fair stroke allowances. But I think CONGU has already done that :)

My own handicap, for BUDA purposes, is 14.6 (EGA system).

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2011, 06:18:48 PM »

My own handicap, for BUDA purposes, is 14.6 (EGA system).

Ulrich

Only if you are assigned to the proposed ROW team.  Then it will be fine. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2011, 07:27:32 AM »
Would all the Budas please check the registration spreadsheet at the top of page 1 of this thread?

Please send me an email or IM to provide or verify your (alleged) handicap, and let me know which rounds you might not be playing.  Hard to believe but we are less than three weeks out!

The captains have agreed to make the teams 12-12 by changing the USA side to Rest of the World, assigning Philip and Ulrich to ROW. Welcome aboard!

Look forward to seeing everyone soon!

Giles Payne

« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2011, 07:34:35 AM »
Bill

I am playing all rounds (as I believe that Conra an Mark are) an my hanicap is 12 (11.5 rounded up).

Very much looking forward to this.

Giles

Mark Pearce

« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2011, 08:12:01 AM »
Bill,

My information remains accurate, save that my handicap has gone out to 13.0 (which, with Lou's 30%, makes me 16.9, that is how it's supposed to work, isn't it?).

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back