News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stan Dodd

Re: Buda IX - Open for business
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2011, 05:08:07 AM »
Senior medals from the yellows at Dornoch versus Regular competitions from the whites make a difference.
Had a good run lately including an ace at the 10th at Dornoch with Whitty as a witness. ;D

Scott Warren

« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2011, 05:30:11 AM »
Seriously? Congratulations!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2011, 07:20:42 AM »
Senior medals from the yellows at Dornoch versus Regular competitions from the whites make a difference.
Had a good run lately including an ace at the 10th at Dornoch with Whitty as a witness. ;D

Unbelievable, a double eagle!   ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2011, 07:27:31 AM »
With regard to my Tuesday afternoon, pre-Buda plans, it's on to plan B.  Woking has a charity event that day (Sept 27th, our arrival day) and the course is closed to outside visitors until 3 p.m.   :(

So in need of another plan, will email with Lynn and see what he's learned about Walton Heath.  I'm not all that interested in paying the nick at Sunningdale, what is it these days?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2011, 08:24:55 AM »

It was a beautiful shot, too. Soft draw, touched down short of the hole, then disappeared like a mouse!.Fabulous!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Scott Warren

« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2011, 08:31:11 AM »
Bill,

Pity Woking is unavailable.

It's a bit of a drive from Heathrow, but I'd suggest The Addington as worthy of a game. And it'll only cost £50 or so.

West Sussex is fantastic, but a bit of a shlep from Heathrow. If you were flying into Gatwick it'd be a no-brainer.

As an arrival day loosener, it's hard to think you could do better than New Zealand. There are many things that are great about heathland golf and NZ has most of them in spades.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2011, 08:45:13 AM »
Bill,

Pity Woking is unavailable.

It's a bit of a drive from Heathrow, but I'd suggest The Addington as worthy of a game. And it'll only cost £50 or so.

West Sussex is fantastic, but a bit of a shlep from Heathrow. If you were flying into Gatwick it'd be a no-brainer.

As an arrival day loosener, it's hard to think you could do better than New Zealand. There are many things that are great about heathland golf and NZ has most of them in spades.

NZ is on for the Monday after Buda.

How far is Walton Heath?  Costs, other thoughts?

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »
West Hill is £70, Worplesdon £80. We could also do Hindhead at £70 or West Sussex at the same price, but the latter is 1.5 hours driving from Heathrow (although only 45 minutes from there to BUDA headquarters).

Has Fowler's West Surrey been mentioned? It seems to be the bargain of the lot at £60.

Walton Heath is something of a compromise driving-wise, being about 45 minutes from Heathrow as well as BUDA HQ. However, you're taking in a good part of the London ring, so there may be traffic problems.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:30:14 AM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »
Walton Heath - Old or New?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2011, 12:45:24 PM »
I would not be so rash as to suggest I might play, but I might well come down to watch some of this and to re-visit some old favourite courses. I don't need accommodation. I might, however, play in a pre- or post- friendly if needed to make up numbers. I can't commit definitely at this stage as I don't yet know what my teaching schedule is for next term.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2011, 02:09:06 PM »
For BUDA fans whilst the big names maybe a draw Royal Ashdown Forest, West Sussex and New Zealand are perfect as is trip to see Laura!
Cave Nil Vino

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
I would not be so rash as to suggest I might play, but I might well come down to watch some of this and to re-visit some old favourite courses. I don't need accommodation. I might, however, play in a pre- or post- friendly if needed to make up numbers. I can't commit definitely at this stage as I don't yet know what my teaching schedule is for next term.

I hope you can make it Mark, first BUDA visit since Alwoodley?  You've been missed.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Craig Disher

« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2011, 10:32:45 AM »
One of our players has canceled, leaving us with an open slot. We have 24 but with 2 preferring to play on 18 on the 36-hole days, we can take another. If anyone has been following this thread and wishes to sign up, you know what to do.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2011, 12:12:54 PM »
Messrs Shackleford, Buehler and McBride still need a fourth to play in a foursomes match at Walton Heath (Old) on Tuesday, Sept 27th.  Lunch followed by golf at 1:30 p.m.

See Drinkin' Joe Buehler and McBride fight off jet lag and overnight flight fatigue!

A jacket is required for lunch but can be worn with a golf shirt, no tie required.

Sean_A

« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »
Craig

You can put me down as interested for afternoon games on the Wednesday and Thursday, but I wouldn't commit until late in the day if still needed. 

I am hoping to join some post Buda weekend games or possibly pre Buda weekend games.  Is anythng settled yet? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2011, 12:54:57 PM »
Craig

You can put me down as interested for afternoon games on the Wednesday and Thursday, but I wouldn't commit until late in the day if still needed. 

I am hoping to join some post Buda weekend games or possibly pre Buda weekend games.  Is anythng settled yet? 

Ciao

Sean - I'll be in Deal on the Saturday and Sunday before the Buda. Ken Fields, a friend from SC, will be with me. We are playing 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. Ulrich is planning to join us on Sunday. I'll work on lining up another member or two if you want to join us on Saturday and/or Sunday. I've booked the dormey flat (downstairs for two ;)) but can reserve the upstairs if you want to stay over... that is, assuming our R&A friend (the obnoxious dwarf?) has not decided to take up residency. ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sean_A

« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2011, 01:24:49 PM »
Whitty - thanks for the offer.  I just may take you up on it in the hope of bumping into Tuco - though I suspect I may have to duck under his left hook.  PLease give me a warning if you see it coming before I do.

Paulie and I were just having a laugh (in a most respectful way you understand - tee hee) about that incident on the way back from Alwoodley.  I like your obnoxious drawf description of the man I never met nor gained a good view of.  Everything seemed to pass around and under me like a tidal wave at sea.  

Ciao    
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Craig Disher

« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2011, 11:11:12 AM »
Announcing the Captains for this year's match - for the US, Bill McBride; ROW - Peter Mallalieu. Behind Peter's calm exterior is a steely competitive streak so we'll have to watch his maneuvers carefully.

I think we're still one player short - but no matter. We'll adjust the sides appropriately and probably add a local member to fill in if needed.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2011, 11:42:53 AM »
Announcing the Captains for this year's match - for the US, Bill McBride; ROW - Peter Mallalieu. Behind Peter's calm exterior is a steely competitive streak so we'll have to watch his maneuvers carefully.

I think we're still one player short - but no matter. We'll adjust the sides appropriately and probably add a local member to fill in if needed.

After a succession of shellackings, the US side will have to have a few tricks up its collective sleeve.  I will be consulting with assistant captains Disher and Whitty to figure what the hell these tricks might be. 

It will be a pleasure facing Captain Mallalieu. 

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »
Congratulations Bill
An experienced golfer, an experienced international player.  Even with a tiny rental car, I have no doubt he will perform his duties brilliantly.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »
Best of luck to the captains and Bill you just have to hold up the side. The Cup proper must be "protected" from Peter's desire to protect, clean, de-dent, repair, or otherwise improve!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
Best of luck to the captains and Bill you just have to hold up the side. The Cup proper must be "protected" from Peter's desire to protect, clean, de-dent, repair, or otherwise improve!

Mark, are you clearing your calendar to join us?   We could use your droll wit and international experience. 

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2011, 12:00:11 PM »
Home and the Far East have primary and secondary claims this year. Thanks for the thought, Bill.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »
Home and the Far East have primary and secondary claims this year. Thanks for the thought, Bill.

Maybe next year!

James Boon

« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2011, 05:10:54 AM »
As we are now less than a month away, and especially after Brian's teaser of Liphook http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49554.0.html I thought I'd bump this one to see how everyone is getting on...

Firstly, Congratulations to Captains Mallalieu and McBride!

Secondly, how are the teams working out? I count 9 USA v 14 GB&I. Does this mean a switch to GB&I v Rest of the World at all?

Lastly, how are everyone's plans for pre and post Buda golf working out?

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back