News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Ferlicca

Meadow Club, Fairfax, CA (MacKenzie) Pics
« on: November 01, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »
Meadow Club has been discussed on here plenty of times before, but I don’t think anyone has seen a full 18 hole profile of the course.  It is Alister MacKenzie’s first course in America; it is a gem in Fairfax, CA.  The drive up to the golf club is up a super narrow road that winds like crazy, I am sure many accidents have happened on that road.  Then once you reach the top, you see this little valley with a gorgeous golf course, and a HUGE new clubhouse that is amazing.  The staff is very nice and had a great time playing with Rod the assistant pro.  IMO, this is a dream job if working in the golf business, you are in one of the prettiest areas in America at an amazing golf course.  I am sure everyone knows that Mike DeVries finished a restoration there a couple of years ago, and the finished product is top notch.  The greens here are the BIGGEST greens I have played behind Old MacDonald and the Old Course.

Hole 1 Par 5

Hole 2 Par 4

Hole 3 Par 4

Hole 4 Par 4

Hole 5 Par 3

Hole 6 Par 4

Hole 7 Par 4

Hole 8 Par 3

Hole 9 Par 4

Hole 10 Par 4

Hole 11 Par 3

Hole 12 Par 4

Hole 13 Par 5

Hole 14 Par 3

Hole 15 Par 5

Hole 16 Par 4

Hole 17 Par 4

Hole 18 Par 4

David_Tepper

Re: Meadow Club, Fairfax, CA (MacKenzie) Pics
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 03:10:33 PM »
"you see this little valley"

PFerlicca -

It's not a valley, it is a MEADOW! ;)

Can't wait to see your pics of one of my favorite courses.

DT

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 04:10:36 PM »
Great pics. Thanks for posting.

Hopefully the club will embrace more tree removal at some time in the near future, to sincerely restore "the meadow". That would amazing.
jeffmingay.com

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 05:20:12 PM »
Peter,

Unfortunately, the pictures aren't showing up on my screen. The Meadow Club is truly a perfect spot for golf, and the restoration work completed by Mike DeVries is very good. To be honest, I never noticed how big the greens were when I played there, I'm surprised they are THAT big. I played with the former superintendent, and he noted on many holes how small the greens had been (originally shrunk to save money during the depression). The internal movement of No. 3 green was exceptional.

TK

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 05:22:06 PM »
Great pics. Thanks for posting.

Hopefully the club will embrace more tree removal at some time in the near future, to sincerely restore "the meadow". That would amazing.

Agreed, starting with the thick conifers between #6 and #16.  The feeling of openness of the parallel par 5s, #13 and #15, is really spectacular.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:35:41 PM »
Looking through the pictures, I really like the diagonal creek running half-way across #7 fairway, although I'm not sure why it doesn't run all the way across. I also remember the double-false front on #17 green. The first one is dominant, and I had to putt up it to a front hole location, and I focused just on that slope. While I succeeded, a second, very subtle slope follows that brought my putt right back to my feet.

Sean has the place looking very good right now.

TK

Emmy

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:52:38 PM »
PF,

Thanks for sharing your images of the Meadow Club.
Yes, it's one of the best in Nor Cal....managed by a stellar staff and crew.

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 12:28:36 AM »

Looking through the pictures, I really like the diagonal creek running half-way across #7 fairway, although I'm not sure why it doesn't run all the way across.

Hole 7 discussion
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 01:18:26 AM »
Let's give Sean his due!

Great Job....

Sean_Tully

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 04:31:32 AM »
Thanks for the kind words...and yes I have been in a dream for the past ten years! Meadow is a great club with some fun and interesting people all around.

It was a lot of fun restoring Meadow Club with Mike DeVries and David Sexton, two very talented and driven people. It was a sad day when we finished our last hole! We finished our restoration in 2006 and have been doing improvements to the course since then. Some work on the DR tee, a new tee complex at the 13th, an ongoing fwy sanding program, and tree management program.

I will be more than happy to answer any questions.

This is from 1927 showing the 5th green. This photo was published in the Nov. 1927 Fairway magazine. AD Mills was the photographer.

This is a cool photo taken in 1927 by a family as they hiked the hills around the club.

The 9th hole is in the foreground, followed by the 10th fairway, the 11th green, 12th green in the distance, just behind that is the oasis, and even further on is the 16th and 13th greens!!

Sean Tully
Golf Course Superintendent
Meadow Club

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 05:56:11 AM »
Sean

There are also some spectacular aerials on your website. Just curious, is that the original clubhouse? From afar, it just looks like it fits perfectly into the setting. Is there any history to who designed it?

I have a great picture of my son swimming in Stinson Beach. Really love the vibe around there. Thanks.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 10:11:06 AM »
Sean:
What's the weather like in Fairfax during the winter, and how does it affect conditioning?  Course looks great, BTW.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 03:56:59 PM »
Sean,

I don't have my pictures handy, but it looks like a lot of trees have been removed from behind #15 green since my visit, is that correct? Is the first fairway bunker on #13 new (I thought the restoration was complete)? The shape doesn't correspond with the current Google Earth image of Oct. 25, 2009.

Peter,

Thanks again for the pictures, I want to point out that the picture of #3 green (my favourite on the course) is actually of #4, which is duplicated later.

TK 

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 05:23:09 PM »
Sean is doing a great job, as those photos testify, the course looks magnificent. And Mike De Vries did excellent work with his restoration. But Peter, we should not forget the role of Robert Hunter in the genesis of this course.

Thanks for the old pix Sean, had not seen the second one until now, it is a beauty!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back