News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Pinery Country Club, Parker, CO
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:22:09 PM »
What can anyone tell me about this neighbor to Colorado Golf Club?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

CJ Carder

Re: Pinery Country Club, Parker, CO
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 11:01:16 PM »
I played the Pinery as our "welcome to Colorado" round before we headed out to Ballyneal last year.  Being that it was my first round ever in Colorado, I had a real hard time adjusting to the altitude effect and getting my mind wrapped around the fact that I really could carry a 6-iron 185.  The course has 3 nines - we didn't play the Mountain 9, we played the other two.  All in all, it's not anywhere near the same golf course as Colorado GC.  It does have a few solid holes, along with a few others that just seem to be routing fillers more than anything else.  I'll post a few pictures below - just ask if you have anything specific you'd like to know and I'll do my best to answer:

I believe this was the par 5 6th, a downhill hole, reachable in 2.  My friend made eagle here, though you do have to thread it between the trees:

Par 3 8th, I think... 200 yard hole, awfully hard to convince myself to hit 5-iron.

Par 4 11th... probably one of the more interesting holes, despite the tree in the middle of the fairway.

Green on the downhill par 4 14th - hard as a rock and very tricky if you missed the green.

I wish I had a picture of #12 as I think that was the hardest hole on the course.  Difficult driving hole, then likely a blind long-iron or hybrid approach.  That's a long hole, even if you are in Colorado.

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:49:42 AM »
This is probably the first time Pinery CC had been mentioned on GCA.com, and with reason. It was the first course I played upon moving to Colorado in 1981, and I think I've played it once or twice since then. The course was designed in the early 1970s by a Devid Bingham. Not sure what else Mr. Bingham has done. In 1981 it was viewed as a decent course, but it has been eclipsed by numerous better public and private courses in the Denver metro area. As a result, in many ways Pinery CC is an afterthought among golfing venues in the area these days. I found it pretty straightforward and lacking much interest. It basically plays uphill and downhill along sloping terrain as depicted in the photos. Some nice views but in the lower tier of the Doak scale IMO. The only thing this course shares with Colorado GC is proximity.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I get the picture. Nothing special even though it is very close to Colorado Golf Club.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back