News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Kane

Sandbelt:which is closest to its original design?
« on: February 25, 2002, 10:51:21 PM »
It has been said that Royal Melbourne might be the best representation of a Mackenzie course, because besides Cypress Point (I'm going on hearsay), it still plays much like it was designed, unlike some of his others where the club involved hasn't been able to resist changes in the name of progress.

There is no doubt that RM is the sandbelt course that is closest to it's original design, but of the others, which one is closest to where it started?  If someone could post some overheads or old photos, it would help enormously.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Ran Morrissett

Re: Sandbelt:which is closest to its original desi
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2002, 05:33:27 AM »
I have been reading up on Royal Melbourne East as of late and the club warrants that this Russell design has only seen the usual lengthening and that's virtually it.

Certainly, Victoria, Commonwealth, and Metro have seen plenty of changes and hasn't Yarra Yarra as well?

Kingston Heath has been tweaked (e.g. the bunker on the 11th) but in its case, mightn't the present design be the best its ever been?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Chris Kane

Re: Sandbelt:which is closest to its original desi
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2002, 08:26:07 PM »
Ran,

Metropolitan lost nine holes when the Education Department compulsorily acquired the land for new schools.  I don't know what is left of the original nine, but I'm told that they lost something pretty special.

Commonwealth lost its 10th hole in the mid-sixties, and I'm told by fellow members of long-standing that something special was lost there as well.  The current 11th hole, which has been called by some as the best on the course, which I find hard to disagree with, is also not original, it was installed during the 50's.  Other holes to be altered include the 1st, 7th, 6th, 8th and 12th.  

Victoria was altered somewhat by Peter Thomson for years, including raising the first green.  It's hosting the Open in November, and has been subject to works by Mike Clayton (whose changes I find positive) and TWP as the AGU "Open Doctors".

I'm not sure about all the changes at Yarra Yarra, except I'm told they enlarged the fourth green.  

Kingston Heath underwent much work under the guidance of greenkeeper Graeme Grant, most of which I believe to be restoration.  The bunker on 11 wasn't, and my sources tell me the club is/was considering removing that bunker.

The firm of Newton Grant & Spencer undertook major changes to the final five holes at Huntingdale, as well as a new par-3 fifth hole replacing the short par 4 there.  Reactions to those changes from the pros at the Ericsson Masters were in the main negative.  I can't tell you what the membership thinks: Paul Daley might be able to help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:09 PM by -1 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back