News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Trump in Scotland
« on: October 26, 2010, 11:02:41 PM »
On the golf channel presently is Trump in Scotland. Is nobody watching this?

It may be the most I have ever cringed while watching a golf show in my life.......I fail to see how any decent golf course can spring up with this man involved in Scotland. It may be an act for the cameras but the way this guy talks to people makes me ill.

Who gives a damn about a ballroom in the clubhouse of a Scottish links course......I thought this was about building the best course in the world, not weddings!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:29:05 PM by Dean Stokes »
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Darren Gloster

Re: Trump in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 01:35:47 AM »
Agreed.

The potential to not get the most out of this site is criminal!

Let's shove every tee atop a 100 to 150 feet dune just because Trump says so.

Good luck hitting driver up there all day.

He must carefully select the puppets that make up his staff.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 03:11:30 AM »
But, as I have saying since this project kicked off, its got nothing to do with Golf !

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:19:16 AM »
The walkability aspect will be very interesting with the elevated tees that were called for during the show.

Apparently they are not going to have carts (?) - but the walk might be challenging although the views when you get to the top of the mounds will amaze.

I have always thought the symphony routings through the dunes were much more epic - a taste here and there makes each view that much more special with a couple big crescendos. If you are staring at the ocean for 18 holes it get's pretty boring before you even make the turn.

The wind is going to be a major factor - no doubt about that.

It SHOULD be one of the best courses in the world - I hope the finished product is fantastic, it would be a crime to see a site like that go to waste or even mediocrity.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 03:58:50 AM »

As is the haar .

Martin Toal

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 05:59:28 AM »
I hope this will be a great course, but I doubt it will.

Trump thinks his course in LA is better than Pebble Beach.

I have played Trump National LA, and if I had not known it was Trump, I might have considered it a decent mid-market, but ultimately somewhat forgettable, course crammed into a too-tight lot.

Ken Fry

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 07:55:22 AM »
I watched the show for a total of 10 minutes.  It gave me another reason to greatly respect what architects go through when dealing with an opinionated owner.  He has to be the worst because he thinks he is an expert in course architecture.  Douche bag....

I loved this line, "I've got four miles of f------ coastline here.  I want to use it."  I wonder where the waterfall hole will be located??

Ken

Dan Boerger

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 08:32:47 AM »
I sure as heck admire the guy's energy (be it totally ego driven or not) ... and I strongly suspect this project will proceed and generate some very nice revenue for that area of Scotland and Trump golf. There are plenty of far less critical golfers than GCA'ers with plenty of money that will be eager go buy the trumped up (sorry, couldn't resist) "Scotland" experience.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 09:16:16 AM »
Where are all the guys who eviscerated me on earlier Trump threads?  Where's the "he's great for the game" and "any work is better than none" guys?  Where's the new Trump course that gets props here?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:28:54 AM »

I'm looking foward to playing it.

Anthony

Michael Blake

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 09:47:18 AM »
I watched the show last night.
That property is simply amazing.

I think he's good for the game despite his micro-managing style seen last night and his a-hole perception.
His passion for the game is evident.

The GCA.com crowd can certainly debate the quality of his courses, but I admire that he is out there investing in courses, developing, and making things happen.

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 10:03:48 AM »

As is the haar .

:)

Brian, any chance you can share some firsthand insight about the area? (honest question)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 10:24:13 AM »

George

Do not be surprised to see a Cruden Bay 2 taking shape out of Trumps dunes - well that is if we are lucky otherwise we may see The Castle Horrors Course incorporating all the best holes in America. If the decision is to actually produce a good course there is a chance that an Askernish could rise from the links offering some real quality golf to the golfing world, but I feel the need for this site will be to see how much £ & $ can be returned in the shortest time period possible.

The point being he could have a winner but it needs to be done sympathetic with the land – a Castle Stuart but with Cruden wildness.

Another imported course will not do and show that he totally misunderstood the mood here in Scotland

For some reason I have very little faith so will not be holding my breath, but do hope he can catch the mood of the place.

Melvyn

Gary Slatter

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 10:36:38 AM »
How long does anyone think Hawtree will stay with the project? 
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »

Perhaps we could give them a chance to build the course before we diss it based on the personality of the owner.  The site is fantastic - at worst there is going to be a very good course on it that will appeal to most tastes.  But many on here will find things to criticize about it, like we do for most courses and some will feel that the resulting course will be a lost opportunity because it doesn't fit with their personal view of greatness.

Charlie,

He's right - the dunes at Balmedie are better than at Bandon - think of a property with lots of dunes like the one beside the 13th at Pacific Dunes.

Gary,

As long as Hawtree is doing the design, I think there is hope for greatness.  If the Donald makes it a DIY project, then I think there is less chance of greatness, but then other amateur designers have created great courses.   ;)  It'll be hard to mess up this site.

Melvyn,

Not sure what you have in mind with Cruden wildness.  The Balmedie site could lend itself to holes along the lines of 4, 5 and 6 at Cruden, but hopefully not ones like the 15th.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 11:14:59 AM »
Three things about the show:

First, I'd like to think I'm a pretty openminded person, but I don't see how anyone could watch that show and not conclude that Trump is a jackass.

Second, the property is absolutely amazing.

Third, when they superimposed the hole designs on top of the existing property, it seemed to me like they will need to bulldoze out lots of the really cool terrain features to get to that end product. I'm sure the artist's renderings aren't exact, but the finished holes looked a hell of a lot "smoother" than what is currently on the ground. I hope they don't make it too tame and instead leave some of the heaving aspects of the property in place.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »

For those that have not seen anything of Trumps plans

Melvyn

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 01:58:10 PM »
My favorite part was when The Donald would talk about Berming up an eyesore. Au Naturale'
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Niall C

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 02:27:40 PM »
But, as I have saying since this project kicked off, its got nothing to do with Golf !

Too true Brian, too true. However whether we like it or not, and I personally don't, a golf course is going to be built on this dune system part of which is designated a SSSI. Part of me wants them to make an arse of it for the shear folly of wasting such a beautiful and pristine landscape but a larger part of me hopes that they create something worthwhile. I have my doubts that they will however and not just because of the owners interference in the design process but also the nature of the property.

I heard someone who was deeply involved in two of Scotlands recent and most lauded new links wish them luck while shaking there head. How easy is it going to be for them to tame a moving dune system ? How much seaviews are the golfers going to get given the size the dunes fronting the ocean. That last ones not a problem for me but apparently seaviews are a must for many. Overall I suspect this might not be the easiest to develop but time will tell.

Niall

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »
his performance was nauseating, in particular his effort to de-humanize Michael Forbes

Tim Pitner

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 03:07:53 PM »
What an insufferable person--quite disrespectful to Royal Aberdeen, I thought.  I hope for the best with regard to the course, but count me as skeptical. 

George Pazin

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »

For those that have not seen anything of Trumps plans

Melvyn

Thanks, Melvyn, and thanks for the thoughts as well.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brad Klein

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 04:29:30 PM »
I've walked the routing. Each hole is more exhausting to traverse than the last. He's got 18 awe inspiring holes w/o relief, w/o rhythm, w/o let up.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Brad,

Having walked the routing, can you envision cart paths? What will it take to stabilize those dunes for them? Might they used crushed shell instead of concrete. Will the power carts need the Stryker/Erwin Rommel package to traverse the madness?

I'm certain the Donald will have caddies, complete with authentic, Trump tarten-trimmed, white overalls and topped with the dated, 70's style pillbox profile caps the Donald wears , sporting his crass Trump logo. They'll need the fitness levels of Olympians just to finish 18 on a nice day,  judging from the sound of the trek described... and a Medivac chopper on standby for the players that get chewed up having a go.

Many that frequent this site are certainly familiar with how driving winds shift sand mercilessly, and can sting the face and fill the eyes, when playing links golf, especially amongst towering dunes. The other oddity of the Trumposity is the elevated tee box mantra that seems to be part of the plan. Sure, the views will be awesome...how the hell is one suppossed to flight a ball off of Everest in the stiff winds that area is certain to present quite regularly. Remember, the Scots call Aberdeen the "Windy City!"

Sounds like things are right on track for a Greek eerrr...Scottish tragedy.
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
He needs to stay in NY and forget about being best anything other than hype man

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back