News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard_Mandell

Looking for a Superintendent from the British Isles
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »
Steven Richardson of Sunningdale New had to back out of the Symposium on Affordable Golf due to a family issue so I am looking for a replcement for his discussion.  The goal was to have a super from the British Isles speak about maintenance practices there and how those practices contrast with attitudes in the US.  The thought being that in the British Isles, golf courses aren't expected to be so highly maintained and the golfer accepts that ideal. 

Anyone know of someone who would be wiling to travel on such short notice to the Symposium to present this topic?

Scott Warren

Re: Looking for a Superintendent from the British Isles
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:59:06 PM »
If Gordon Irvine were able to attend I can say he is a most interesting and knowledgeable presenter after his talk at Buda 2009, with many of GB&I's best courses in his stable/resume.

He is a member here but is not often on. If you contact Mark Chaplin he may be able to put you in touch.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:51:08 PM »
Richard M. -

Chris Haspell is a GCA-er and the superintendent at Castle Stuart. Hopefully, he will see this and either offer to come himself or suggest a colleague in GB&I who might be able to attend and participate.

You can contact at Castle Stuart. www.castlestuartgolf.com

DT

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:58:04 AM »
Richard M. -

Chris Haspell is a GCA-er and the superintendent at Castle Stuart. Hopefully, he will see this and either offer to come himself or suggest a colleague in GB&I who might be able to attend and participate.

You can contact at Castle Stuart. www.castlestuartgolf.com

DT

David, this is an AFFORDABLE golf seminar!   ;D

Gary Slatter

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:45:14 AM »
Neil Ballingall at Fairmont St Andrews

neil.ballingall@fairmont.com

excellent
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Dan_Lucas

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:46:54 AM »
I second the nomination of Chris Haspell. He was in the Netherlands before Castle Stuart when they shut down pesticide use. He did a  presentation at a fescue symposium a few years ago on the fescue renovations at the poa courses there. Very interesting speaker with great experience and a great guy.

Dan

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 10:51:08 AM »
Bill M. -

The super who was supposed to come is at Sunningdale. It does not get any more posh than that. ;)

DT

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 10:54:57 AM »
Bill M. -

The super who was supposed to come is at Sunningdale. It does not get any more posh than that. ;)

DT

Good point!  I'd like to see the super from Pennard there!

And oh yeah, go Giants!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 11:30:53 AM »
Bill M. -

Alex Macdonald, the super at Golspie, would also be a good choice. However, the greens staff there would be reduced by 1/3 while he was gone!

DT

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 12:06:34 PM »
Bill M. -

Alex Macdonald, the super at Golspie, would also be a good choice. However, the greens staff there would be reduced by 1/3 while he was gone!

DT

That's what I'm talking about!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 12:25:26 PM »

Then of course you have Gordon Irvine

(http://www.gordonirvinemg.com/)

Melvyn

Gary Slatter

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 01:14:23 PM »
I nominated Neil because I think you should have a super familiar with what goes on in the US.  Neil has worked all his life in Scotland,
Muirfield, Carnoustie, Lossiemouth and Fairmont, but he has also spent time at Mayacobo (for 3 PGA events, Banff, etc.).
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »
Bill M. -

DT

And oh yeah, go Giants!!

Bill,
The last time I played Pennard-they had no super!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 05:21:23 PM »
Bill M. -

DT

And oh yeah, go Giants!!

Bill,

Jeff, here's the maintenance crew, looking for guidance!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 05:42:35 AM »
A great scene from the greaatest golf movie:

"Sandy [with heavy Scottish brougue]: Carl, I want you to kill all the gophers on the course.
Carl: Correct me if I'm wrong, Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key.
Sandy: Not golfers, you great git! Gophers- the little brown, furry rodents!
Carl: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.
Sandy: Aye! Well, do it, man!
Carl: OK, but why don't we do the same thing, but with gophers? [Sandy storms off] It's not my fault I Don't understand what your saying"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 07:08:07 AM »
I second the nomination of Chris Haspell. He was in the Netherlands before Castle Stuart when they shut down pesticide use. He did a  presentation at a fescue symposium a few years ago on the fescue renovations at the poa courses there. Very interesting speaker with great experience and a great guy.

Dan

I recommend Dan Lucas as Kingsley Club remains the best maintained course I've played.  If you want fast, firm and brown there is no one better than Dan.

If only his golf game measured up....
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Dan_Lucas

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 10:13:35 AM »
JC

I've heard you can only be really good at one thing at a time, my golf game is not it. But I'll give you credit, you are a really good smart-ass.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 11:33:12 AM »
Bill M. -

DT

And oh yeah, go Giants!!

Bill,

Jeff, here's the maintenance crew, looking for guidance!

Where's that picture from? Surely somewhere very north of Scotland?!! Looks amazing!

Brian, that's Pennard, very early Braid on the cliffs just west of Swansea.  The photo was taken during the recent Buda Cup in Wales.  I suspect next year's courses (Liphook and Hankley Common) will be a bit more well groomed.  But no cattle roaming freely!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back