News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Re: Changes to the 18th at Dismal River
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 10:35:15 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to repsond to all the questions from the group.  One more for you - are there any more proposed changes in the works or will the new green at #18 be it?

Scott

Hi Scott.  Great question!  We plan to move the tees on #6 about 25 yards down and into the valley between 1 and 7 fairways and maybe adjust the faiirway a bit tio make the forced carry a bit less daunting.

As part of the "living ecosystem", we will need to to rework greens from time-to-time to address changes caused by wind.  Believe it or not, wind here can actually chage both the shape and contour of both greens and bunkers.

I hope to see you, and other GCA'ers, out next season to see a very special place to me.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 11:18:26 PM »
Chris,

Would love to come out and see for myself next summer.  Thanks again for all the input.

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Chris Johnston

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »
Chris,

Would love to come out and see for myself next summer.  Thanks again for all the input.

You are welcome!

Any other GCAers interested in visiting?  Should it be a group event on a set date or ala carte?

Weigh in?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 10:41:37 AM »
Chris, In the words of Tom Huckaby..."Plan it and they will come".

Both is likely the reality if you do plan something for the group. I say both, because invariably some can not make the trip on the dates planned. By leaving open this generous invitation, more people will probably be able to experience the new and improved DR.

I have one for you...

Are there talks to change the name of the 8th hole?

I'm partial to "JC's Triumph"

On a more serious note. Above you mention that one or more of your greens gets re-shaped by the elements. Now, I know bunkers are subject to that, even on less windy sites, but, I was unaware of greens having that vulnerability. Is there a specific cause, other than the elements, that could have been designed in? In other words, is there a correlation to the greens shape size or orientation that is causing it to shift?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »
Good discussion...

I like the change, especially the walk off tee. The view from the shack and a 19th hole on a course like this will be ideal.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Chris Johnston

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2010, 01:00:51 PM »
Chris, In the words of Tom Huckaby..."Plan it and they will come".

Both is likely the reality if you do plan something for the group. I say both, because invariably some can not make the trip on the dates planned. By leaving open this generous invitation, more people will probably be able to experience the new and improved DR.

I have one for you...

Are there talks to change the name of the 8th hole?

I'm partial to "JC's Triumph"

On a more serious note. Above you mention that one or more of your greens gets re-shaped by the elements. Now, I know bunkers are subject to that, even on less windy sites, but, I was unaware of greens having that vulnerability. Is there a specific cause, other than the elements, that could have been designed in? In other words, is there a correlation to the greens shape size or orientation that is causing it to shift?

Adam - naming 8 is under consideration in honor of JC's shot.  With that kind of talent, I know he won't ever get strokes from me!

To the serious question- the greens are changed via "natural top dressing" due to wind blowing out of bunkers.  In particular, #6 (small punchbowl) is slowly filling in and #14 now has ridgelines that were not intended.  I have long said the area is "alive", that is, the sand and water out here have a mind of their own when the wind is up.  Thus, from time to time, we will have to rework greens to restore.  I don't believe there is a design solution - it just is part of the charm out here.

Jeff - I agree, 18 will be better on many levels.

Anyone else interested in a Dismal Day (or two) next June?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:05:01 PM by Chris Johnston »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »
Id make every effort to show up to the extent a person can say that, so many months out.  The earlier - even early May, the better.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2010, 09:16:57 PM »
Id make every effort to show up to the extent a person can say that, so many months out.  The earlier - even early May, the better.  ;D

RJ - We don't open until late May and I will keep you posted here when we can host GCAers who wish to play Dismal River.  It will cool to meet some of you guys!

Eric Smith

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 10:32:08 AM »
Here is a pic of the new 18th green that I scanned from the recent Links Magazine Nicklaus issue. 

If any of you are looking to experience golf in the sand hills of Nebraska, you are welcome to join me this summer for a weekend at Dismal River.  An outing is already in the works for July 1-3 with room for a few more. The plan is to first, GET THERE :D, play a ton of golf and have a good time with a bunch of gca friends.  If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll tell you all about it.

JC Jones

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »
It is a cape hole!!! The templates are alive!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 11:21:06 AM »
As one who like dthe old hole...It looks great, and I confess more esthetic than the original, with the green in full view.
Marvelous job....re my old post and ideas...what old green?

Eric Smith

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
I am excited to see it turn out so well. CJ, when was the picture taken?

It is a cape hole!!! The templates are alive!

JC,

I think I see an Alps in there too. Wait that's in front of the old green.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:48:46 AM by Eric Smith »

Jerry Kluger

Re: Changes to the 18th at Dismal River - update
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »
I think it looks great. Now all you need is a buried cooler in the grass hill behind the green where you can grab a drink and a seat and watch the following groups finish. 

Chris Johnston

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
I think it looks great. Now all you need is a buried cooler in the grass hill behind the green where you can grab a drink and a seat and watch the following groups finish. 

Buried cooler...hmmm.

Wonder if that is a Golf Committee or Food and Beverage Committee item?

The new green really enhanced an already lovely finish.  The view of it from Jack's is an added plus.

Sean Leary

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »
Chris,

Was their much thought to keeping the old green  as a green?

Chris Johnston

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 05:04:20 PM »
Chris,

Was their much thought to keeping the old green  as a green?

Sean - Great question.  We are thinking about retaining the old green and having a 19th hole, or closest to the pin, etc from Jack's Shack to the old green.  I'm not a huge fan of extra holes but this may be fun.  I'll let the members weigh in before making the final decision.

If not, we will restore the whole upper area to native, We plan to immediatly restore the area right and above the new green this spring.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 05:46:44 PM »
I'm looking at that kick plate on the right and I'm going Yuuummmmyyyyy
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Anthony Gray

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 06:07:52 PM »
I assume par will change, but, will wait til Chris responds.

The center fronting bunker needs something. Not sure what, but if it is just that bit of a circular thing, it will definitely be out of character. I'm assuming it's nowhere near completed. Just throwing it out there.

And take away the short miss?

Anthony

Chris Johnston

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 06:24:05 PM »
Adam - the kick plate will definately attract the eye, and it wraps round the back right.  Good pickup!

Anthony - We may "gnarl" the bunker a little bit but want the hole to play to several strengths, including the short miss/chip master.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2011, 11:15:36 PM »
The new 18th is a better hole, now. What's not apparent in these pictures is how much back up the hill it really is. It's still a stout par 5 to where this new green now sits, for the majority of golfers.

Played it today and watched Chris exemplify why it's a better hole. He reached in two. Why does that make it better? Because, the hole now puts the player into making the decision, go, or no go. Before, it was never a go. To illustrate how good those shots were, Today, it was also into the wind, at least quartering, from the right. So, Chris' experiment, test, whatever you want to call it ( His repeated phrase prior to swinging, was, "we'll see" "we'll see" ), eased his mind and body, and he just busted it up there. We couldn't tell if it went in the bunker, until we got a little closer and could see it on the green. 

An epic day on a most improved award winner of a course. Only one ball was lost between the entire group and it was mine because I abandoned it.

Chris and his team has made a better atmosphere, course, and, club. Can't wait to see what's next. :)

Eric Smith

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2011, 11:56:56 PM »
Where the heck is the jealous button on here?! :)

A man - one thing I have wondered about is the layup shot to the new green. Is there ample room up there? I can't recall...

Thanks for the report. See you in a few weeks!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:22:38 AM by Eric Smith »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2011, 12:36:33 AM »
Plenty of room. I hit 7 iron for my 3rd from about 135.  It caught the green side, of the ridge that's right of the green, took an almost 90 degree straight left bounce, on to the green about 35' from the pin which was middle left. Since it's up hill the effective is greater than what's visible.

One reoccurring motif today, the terrain, makes distance judging very difficult. I suppose it's the openness of the site and the rolling topography that confuses the brain.

Eric, you're way ahead on jealousy points lately.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2011, 01:36:09 AM »
Hey, 135 7I uphill, wind against?  Where can we get some of those new swivel hips?   ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2011, 08:54:16 AM »
Eric - 18 is exactly what we wanted - not particularly long, very uphill, reachable with two good shots, plenty of room to layup, Par 5.  With your skill, you will be challenged and the average golfer will find it a hoot!  Green looks very small from the fairway.  For variety, could be a great Par 4 too from forward tees and favorable wind.  Cart path goes through the bunker.  Ground game is option is very available.  Creativity is encouraged and rewarded.  Beautiful to the eye.  With assistance from my comrades and my EBay driver, I was able to reach her in two. 

Wait until you have the pulled pork at Jack's - straight from the Montgomery Inn in Cincinnati. 

Adam - Aside from great to have you up and, more, great to see you playing - golf is better off with you feeling better.  You did miss my namesake at dinner and my head hurts from the box.  Your observations on the "ground" game following was fun - thanks for peeking at the, ahem, youknowwhat, double secret, never existed, Abottabadoperationlike, big and little horseshoeian, meandering... um.... whatchamacallit.   

Eric again, after playing some extra holes afterwards, you should be very jealous.  Adam saw all my shots!

Day was a hoot! 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2011, 09:06:02 AM »
The hole sounds great.  But the big news is Adam is playing.  Awesome!! 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back