News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: Changes to the 18th at Dismal River - update
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 09:15:03 AM »
A hoot is exactly what is was.

A note on the improvements to the whole.

I brought a friend, who normally struggles mightily on the country club in town. Mostly because of the trees and rough which stile creativity and recovery. He carries a 20 index, but yesterday at DR, he finished with the same ball he started, played all the shots that a low ball-flighter could conceive, and even some high ones, finishing with an 85. He made sandy saves and recoveries from native. Before this, last years visit to the Prairie Club was his first foray onto a golf course of any note.

The man was on top of the world thanks to the course and the camaraderie.  
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mac Plumart

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 09:22:44 AM »
This is bogus...totally bogus!!!   >:(

Adam is out there getting in a few practice rounds before the 5th Major, so when the balls are officially in the air for the tournament he will be primed and ready to kick are butts.  We need to consider this when we dole out the strokes for that event.

Nice try Adam, but we are on to you!!!!   ;D :D ;) :D ;D
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2011, 10:05:07 AM »
Mac:

Like a baby cobra, Adam is already dangerous - my wallet is lighter today!

At a minimum, a "Zorro mask" may be issued to warn others of the Bionic hips?  We are all being set up.

Adam is the spider, the rest of us are the fly.

Eric Smith

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »
Thanks again fellas. Sounds wonderful. Particularly the post golf tour...(and the pulled pork :))

Chris Johnston

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2011, 07:27:11 PM »
You will be here soon enough, my friend.  JohnK will get a preview in mere days!

Thanks again fellas. Sounds wonderful. Particularly the post golf tour...(and the pulled pork :))

JC Jones

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2011, 07:37:46 PM »
You guys sure know how to make a girl jealous.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tim Martin

Re: Changes to the 18th at Dismal River
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »
I am excited to see it turn out so well. CJ, when was the picture taken?

It is a cape hole!!! The templates are alive!

JC,

I think I see an Alps in there too. Wait that's in front of the old green.

Guys-That is a great looking hole and appears to be all you could ask for as a match play finisher. The backdrop is awesome.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2011, 11:43:58 PM »
Jason - You need to see it for yourself!

You guys sure know how to make a girl jealous.

Eric Smith

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2011, 12:04:48 AM »
Chris, unfortunately I missed the call today so I'll try to reach you tomorrow.

Jason's coming out with me in early October. All he asks is that we have the Spartans on the big screen Saturday afternoon. I told him fine - enjoy, we'll be out playing golf!

Chris Johnston

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2011, 12:10:23 AM »
E:

The greens are getting quick and 18 is a hoot!

Tell Jason it will be next to impossible to get the 2xBarky Sparky so he'd better have some new tricks.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2011, 06:14:13 AM »
Any aces on it yet Chris?  ;)

I'm with Adam - the right side kick point looks fun - I hope it is visible from standard approach points.  The old hole was just too much of a ball-buster - new one looks far more enticing and managable.

JC

Chris Johnston

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2011, 08:45:19 AM »
JC

We have a Member-Guest this weekend and plan to play 18th as a Par 5 one day, and move the tee up and play a Par 4 the other.  Each of 6 and 8 will be reachachable on alternative days, and moved back the other.  "Flexicourse" = fun.

We had a hole-in-one on 10 last Saturday, a terrific potential Member.  As of yet, no one of sufficient skill has equaled the Cummings test.  Few dare try. 

18 is a blast.  Lots of options.  Uphill shot into her makes the green look tiny.

All - We are considering removing yardage markers on sprinkler heads.  Then we would only have 100,150,200,250 plates and 150 posts.  Anyone here have an opinion?  Looking for input.

Scott Warren

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 08:51:06 AM »
Chris,

I for one quite like limited yardage info that gives me a ballpark distance, but makes me work out the exact number myself, working out how far I am from the marker, how far back or forward the flag is, then the wind and any elevation change... A bit of thinking is good for the brain and I find I try more shots in that situation than if I know I am exactly X metres from the hole.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2011, 09:00:35 AM »
Chris,

I for one quite like limited yardage info that gives me a ballpark distance, but makes me work out the exact number myself, working out how far I am from the marker, how far back or forward the flag is, then the wind and any elevation change... A bit of thinking is good for the brain and I find I try more shots in that situation than if I know I am exactly X metres from the hole.

Chris, It's my opinion that taking out the distances from the sprinkler heads is a waste of time and money.

As stated above, and felt last Saturday, judging distance is a real chore there. So, for those who care to use their nose, they won't look for a marker. Those who feel they need the information, will have it.

It might piss a prospective member off, if he can't find the yardage, while it won't offend the sensibilities of the more purist, if it remains. Ergo, a waste of time to remove. They will fade soon enough, and then you'll have to decide to re-do them, if you get any complaints.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2011, 09:04:40 AM »
Chris,

As far as removing markers on sprinkler heads goes, I think once they are marked it is to late to remove them after a number of years.   Dismal is a special course with enough blind shots and lack of gps reception that I fear less help will only result in slower more tedious play.  My motto is "Let Dismal be Dismal".  If you want to play mind shenanigans you have plenty of opportunities with the Doak.

John_Cullum

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2011, 09:16:52 AM »
I have no dog in this hunt, but in my opinion, actively undertaking to remove distance marking from sprinklers is a silly idea.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Eric Smith

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »

Chris, It's my opinion that taking out the distances from the sprinkler heads is a waste of time and money.

As stated above, and felt last Saturday, judging distance is a real chore there. So, for those who care to use their nose, they won't look for a marker. Those who feel they need the information, will have it.

I agree.  Leave 'em be.  Never in my life have I experienced a course so difficult to judge distance. I can't believe I went around 3X last summer without hitting a single par 3 in reg! :-\ My tribute to grandpa using his old eye 2's was nice and all, but I am definitely looking forward to having my own sticks in the bag.

John Kirk

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2011, 11:19:31 AM »
Chris,

I like having yardages on the sprinkler heads, so I can figure out the yardage quickly.

The less yardage info available, the more you will see yardage devices in the hands of the players.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »
All - We are considering removing yardage markers on sprinkler heads.  Then we would only have 100,150,200,250 plates and 150 posts.  Anyone here have an opinion?  Looking for input.

Why?

Who are you trying to impress?

Who would you frustrate/anger?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back