News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: The White House will soon make golf/country clubs extinct if
« Reply #525 on: November 08, 2010, 06:08:47 PM »
The previous administration told us we could all have both guns and butter without any sacrifice at all...in fact, they told us we could all get a tax cut...

Among all the nonsense of the previous administration, I think this is my biggest issue.  Bush going to war(s), but trying to keep the country running as if nothing is happening.  If a country is truly at war, all of it is at war.  Americans now consider their duty done once the paying off of however many volunteers to strap on a helmet and gun is done - oh, and keep feeding the economy with consumerism.  In essence, we hire mercenaries and only them and their families suffer in this type of Bush warfare.  The entire country must suffer to really know the effect of a war and only then will any real debate about its merits/legitimacy occur.  This is something we must learn (and Obama is far from it) if we are ever going to stop using our military as a stop gap rather than as a diplomatic tool of last measure.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Dugger

« Reply #526 on: November 08, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »
Jeff Goldman writes:
Exactly where is this cascade of spending that has exploded the deficit?

This is where you go wrong Jeff. The problem isn't real spending. The much bigger problem is mythical spending. As a country we really have to stop this mythical spending or China is going to own our mythical ass. Then who will be able to join some of our great mythical golf clubs which currently are in tons of mythical trouble?

Go ahead Jeff, bury your head in the Arizona sand, believing mythical problems aren't real problems.  Be careful; while your head is buried in the sand some illegal immigrant might just come along and lop it off.

Cheers,
Dan King

I love a good beheading, but it's more likely a cartel goon that does it than an illegal...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

George Pazin

« Reply #527 on: November 08, 2010, 06:09:59 PM »
The bailouts are going to end up costing very little.

The bailouts will only cost us our soul.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan King

« Reply #528 on: November 08, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »
Jeff Goldman writes:
The "stimulus" was maybe $600 billion max, which costs $12 billion a year.  BFD.

Perhaps government math works different than real math, but if you only pay $12 billion on a $600 billion loan, does it ever get paid back? Or is it $12 billion a year until the End Times?

Cheers,
Dan King
I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times.
 --Everett Dirksen

Dan King

« Reply #529 on: November 08, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »
Michael Dugger writes:
I love a good beheading, but it's more likely a cartel goon that does it than an illegal...

Would that be a mythical cartel goon or a real one? Or are Arizonans more likely to lop off their own heads?

Cheers,
Dan King
Now we all know that Fidel Castro dressed up like Marilyn Monroe and gave JFK a case of syphilis so bad it eventually blew out the back of his head.
 --Stephen Colbert

Michael Dugger

« Reply #530 on: November 08, 2010, 07:57:47 PM »
Michael Dugger writes:

Would that be a mythical cartel goon or a real one? Or are Arizonans more likely to lop off their own heads

I thought I read about a real beheading just the other day.  Those cartel folk are vicious.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #531 on: November 08, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
The previous administration told us we could all have both guns and butter without any sacrifice at all...in fact, they told us we could all get a tax cut...

Among all the nonsense of the previous administration, I think this is my biggest issue.  Bush going to war(s), but trying to keep the country running as if nothing is happening.  If a country is truly at war, all of it is at war.  Americans now consider their duty done once the paying off of however many volunteers to strap on a helmet and gun is done - oh, and keep feeding the economy with consumerism.  In essence, we hire mercenaries and only them and their families suffer in this type of Bush warfare.  The entire country must suffer to really know the effect of a war and only then will any real debate about its merits/legitimacy occur.  This is something we must learn (and Obama is far from it) if we are ever going to stop using our military as a stop gap rather than as a diplomatic tool of last measure.  

Ciao

Bob Herbert  of The NY Times advocates bringing back the draft to end these wars:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/opinion/23herbert.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=the%20way%20we%20treat%20our%20troops&st=cse

"I would bring back the draft in a heartbeat. Then you wouldn’t have these wars that last a lifetime. And you wouldn’t get mind-bending tragedies like the death of Sgt. First Class Lance Vogeler, a 29-year-old who was killed a few weeks ago while serving in the Army in his 12th combat tour. That’s right, his 12th — four in Iraq and eight in Afghanistan."

John Kirk

« Reply #532 on: November 09, 2010, 12:01:41 AM »
Actually addressing the original question...

Patrick, I think it is widely accepted that the rich are getting richer in America.  I recently heard a statistic that the top 1% of earners now make 25% of all the income, compared to the top 1% making about 10% in the early 1980s.  By the way, the last time the top 1% earned 25 of the income?   That's right, 1928.

Based on this logic, one would assume that firat and second tier country clubs will do fine.  Perhaps third tier clubs and public/municipal courses are the ones to worry about.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html

This says the share went from 8.5% to about 21% over that time, if you look at one of the bottom tables.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #533 on: November 09, 2010, 07:35:53 AM »

Ciao

Bob Herbert  of The NY Times advocates bringing back the draft to end these wars:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/opinion/23herbert.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=the%20way%20we%20treat%20our%20troops&st=cse

"I would bring back the draft in a heartbeat. Then you wouldn’t have these wars that last a lifetime. And you wouldn’t get mind-bending tragedies like the death of Sgt. First Class Lance Vogeler, a 29-year-old who was killed a few weeks ago while serving in the Army in his 12th combat tour. That’s right, his 12th — four in Iraq and eight in Afghanistan."

We had the draft back then but it still took us almost 10 years to get out of Vietnam.  Without the draft we'd probably still be there........

"I ain't no senator's son" -- John Fogarty, Fortunate Son.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #534 on: November 09, 2010, 08:31:48 AM »
"My last of few thoughts on this thread is that everyone is making this into a question of morality and philosophy while Rome burns.  Regardless of who was at fault in this mess, getting out of it is a a technical matter.  I don't care about anything but getting the economy growing and unemployment back down, and if we have the guts, which Obama didn't, we know how to do that (see Mucci's post about the arsenal of democracy)."  Jeff Goldman

Jeff,

I am just auditing this class, so I won't be offering my 2 cents worth, but please, tell me precisely what it is that "we know how to do (that)".  Are you with Reich, Krugman, vanden Heuvel, and Johnson (Hank) on this one?

Dan King,

Why is it that when you post, "Truckin' " and "Sugar Magnolia" just pipe through my mind?  What a pleasant reveille from life's more burdensome concerns.  Thanks for being.

David_Tepper

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #536 on: November 09, 2010, 10:00:52 AM »
Considering there will be over one billion dollars spent by 2012 convincing you rubes of what you already know, do any of the posters on this thread know where to invest your money so a guy can pay that beautiful highest rate?  I suppose whoever Ran is paying bandwidth fees to would be a start.

mike_malone

« Reply #537 on: November 09, 2010, 11:22:15 AM »
  John,

I recall the OT discussion in Oct/08 on this site. It was an interesting snapshot of investor sentiment right at the low in investor sentiment. So, I listen to the OT topics that go on like this because of their insight into the social mood.

This topic shows the fractious nature of politics right now. This is consistent with the horrible economy, the fragile financial system,and  the negative investor attitudes of depressions.

All of these together constitute, in my opinion, what I call "Depression Investing". If you study the behavior of investors in previous examples of the current social mood you can possibly develop a framework for investing. My best guess is that we will see much more volatility which can be traded over a few year time horizon. So, this means sell now and wait for the next decline and monitor sentiment for excessive negativity.

Depression investing requires a willingness to be out of the markets while the speculators are dominant and the courage to return when the prevailing attitude is "all is lost". At the end of 2008 there was talk that corporations would all default on their debts, meanwhile the spreads on junk bonds were 100% more than their all time wides and simple math indicated the greatest buying opportunity in history.

Now, I feel  the average investor thinks such profound negativity is a thing of the past and never to be seen again.  They are complacent, drugged by rising security prices.

But, those few who embrace depression investing see it differently. We think that the cycle is one of bubble and crash with the end coming , likely, 80/90% down from the peak. This whole process could take 15/20 years.

So, get out of the way and let it fall.

BTW, this is bad for golf clubs since frugality is rampant and saving to protect your own future is more important than spending money on such frivolities as golf.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:50:52 AM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Jud_T

« Reply #538 on: November 09, 2010, 11:49:19 AM »
 We think that the cycle is one of bubble and crash with the end coming , likely, 80/90% down from the peak. This whole process could take 15/20 years.

So, get out of the way and let it fall.

Mike,

Please get me a bag of whatever you're smoking...The average investor is light on stocks, they are not expensive by any measure, they have underperformed bonds for the past 20 years, and smart companies have great balance sheets and are minting money.  Yes the next 5 years could be dicey as the deleveraging process continues and the real estate supply and unemployment rates are whittled away...And please don't start talking about the 1930's or Japan.  Sell America short at your own peril.  John, you may want a second opinion from someone who's rational.  Stock returns equal GDP + Dividends + Inflation. Real bond yields are essentially zero.  Or you both can put all your money in the mattress and be serving me burgers at the turn in 20 years..... ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:52:47 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

« Reply #539 on: November 09, 2010, 11:52:06 AM »
Just to turn the discussion a bit, but not away from politics ...

Today, in the mail, I received a letter from the World Golf Foundation asking for my financial support in helping golf to grow.

They have several p.r. and marketing plans to create "a new image for golf", which I assume means trying to minimize the view of golf as a rich man's game, which of course has resulted from YEARS OF MARKETING AND P.R.

However, the most disturbing part of the mailing was their lobbying plan.  The first piece of their lobbying budget is to pay a major K Street firm $350,000 per year to lobby our government on behalf of the golf business.  It's the first time I've ever seen the price tag for that sort of stuff.

Is that the way government is supposed to work?  Is the White House really threatening to make golf extinct, or is K Street just trying to make some money "preventing" it?  One would think it would be in K Street's OWN interest to keep the golf business humming, since I am sure they spend a fair portion of their budgets courting individuals on the golf course.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #540 on: November 09, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »
P.S. to Jud:

Your post reminds me a bit too much of the young man from Ireland who was telling us three years ago about the sure future of real estate in Ireland.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #541 on: November 09, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »
Just to turn the discussion a bit, but not away from politics ...

Today, in the mail, I received a letter from the World Golf Foundation asking for my financial support in helping golf to grow.

They have several p.r. and marketing plans to create "a new image for golf", which I assume means trying to minimize the view of golf as a rich man's game, which of course has resulted from YEARS OF MARKETING AND P.R.

However, the most disturbing part of the mailing was their lobbying plan.  The first piece of their lobbying budget is to pay a major K Street firm $350,000 per year to lobby our government on behalf of the golf business.  It's the first time I've ever seen the price tag for that sort of stuff.

Is that the way government is supposed to work?  Is the White House really threatening to make golf extinct, or is K Street just trying to make some money "preventing" it?  One would think it would be in K Street's OWN interest to keep the golf business humming, since I am sure they spend a fair portion of their budgets courting individuals on the golf course.

I'm surprised it's only $350,000.  It's hard to buy a second tier senator for that these days!

mike_malone

« Reply #542 on: November 09, 2010, 11:55:53 AM »
 Jud,

I won't argue with you. You express what I see as the conventional view.  I'm perfectly willing to see how this plays out over time. Since 2000 it has been going according to script. How has it been going according to your view?
AKA Mayday

Jud_T

« Reply #543 on: November 09, 2010, 12:02:08 PM »
Jud,

I won't argue with you. You express what I see as the conventional view.  I'm perfectly willing to see how this plays out over time. Since 2000 it has been going according to script. How has it been going according to your view?

In my view it's going exactly according to plan...As long as I'm a net buyer of stocks the best possible scenario is they continue to go sideways for the next 6 years (hello 2016 election?) then the next bull market begins out of nowhere.

Tom,

If you don't have 50% of your dough in equities at your age and weight then you're essentially short the market.  Not a good long term call.  And Real Estate is never a good investment.  It's a place to hang your hat....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #544 on: November 09, 2010, 12:12:10 PM »
Hello Lou,

Hope you are doing well.  To answer your question, yes, I am straight Keynes on this one.  Those guys are the ONLY ones whose predictions about the economy, and analysis of past events, have proven correct.  Conservative economists of all stripes have been wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong for the last 20 years (remember they uniformly predicted that Clinton's tax increase would immediately lead to another great depression.  I'll be if shivas is honest he'll say he thought so too.  Oops.)  Interest rates are zero, so monetary policy, always the first choice, can't do anything.  In similar conditions, QE failed during the depression, it failed in Japan, and won't do much now (though it's worth trying, if only to perhaps stoke some expectations of inflation).  Liquidation, austerity and paying down debt now may sound moral, but it is totally immoral given where we are, leading only to deflation, lower consumption, more poverty, higher debt, more unemployment, etc. etc. etc.

Mucci is dead right on this one.  We would not have gotten out of the depression without the largest stimulus anyone had ever seen (which in fact produced very little that was productive), and I think we will imp along for years with very high corporate profits, corporations (and banks) with tons of cash (have their cash positions ever been higher?), and employment and GDP way below full.  

Very glad to say that I got my golf swing back a couple weeks ago during a match with the Atlanta Athletic Club, after a 2 year hiatus.  Too bad the season is over.  Oh well.

Best,

Jeff
That was one hellacious beaver.

Dan King

« Reply #545 on: November 09, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »
Shivas writes:
Uhh, Dan, you're a reasonably smart guy,

And people were claiming we couldn't be civil. I also think you are a reasonably smart guy.

but get your facts straight before you say innane things like this.  What I said is light years from what she said.

I don't think light years, more like spitting distance. I didn't say you two agree on everything, just there are numerous similarities between what you two say.

I said I doubted the number from the beginning.  She said she bought it.  I said that I have no issue with the trip at all.  She said it should have been done by video conference.

If my grandma had a penis she would be my grandpa.

Michele Bachmann is crazy but not stupid. You, me and I'm betting her all knew this report was bogus. But you and her want to make hay out of it anyway. Both of you want to take advantage of a totally bogus report to embarrass a president you both don't like.

My issue was the White House's Heisman of an answer to the legitimate question of "They're reporting in India that this is going to cost a fricking fortune...what's it really gonna cost?" - a perfectly legitimate question.

It's a legitimate question based on what?

She has already decided that whatever it costs, it's too much.  I want the number first, before drawing any conclusions.

So, in fact, although our topic may be the same, what we're actually saying about the topic is nothing at alll alike.   Yet despite all that, you just couldn't stop yourself, could you?

Your positions are different but not in any major way. You both feel this silly report has enough significance to cause embarrassment to Obama and you both claim the WH must respond to the crazy numbers.

Did you know on Michele Bachmann's last trip abroad she brought along 96 young men and she flew them all first class? They each had their own suite at a four-star hotel and dined on lobster and caviar every night. All of this at government expanse. What about that, Ms. Bachmann?

Cheers,
Dan King
You have a teacher talking about his gayness. (The elementary school student) goes home then and says “Mom! What’s gayness? We had a teacher talking about this today.” The mother says “Well, that’s when a man likes other men, and they don’t like girls.” The boy’s eight. He’s thinking, “Hmm. I don’t like girls. I like boys. Maybe I’m gay.” And you think, “Oh, that’s, that’s way out there. The kid isn’t gonna think that.” Are you kidding? That happens all the time. You don’t think that this is intentional, the message that’s being given to these kids? That’s child abuse.
 — Senator Michele Bachmann, speaking at EdWatch National Education Conference, November 6, 2004

Tom_Doak

« Reply #546 on: November 09, 2010, 01:43:01 PM »

Tom,

If you don't have 50% of your dough in equities at your age and weight then you're essentially short the market.  Not a good long term call.  And Real Estate is never a good investment.  It's a place to hang your hat....

Jud,

Personally, I am fine being short the market.  I love what I do and I live comfortably.  I don't really care about being rich, but I know that if the economy goes well, my business should prosper from the trickle-down effect a lot more than your average union man will. 

The only way I am screwed is if the economy collapses and my life savings go with it, or if the stock market continues to go up while the real economy collapses, which should only happen if the game is completely rigged.  I am hoping it is not completely rigged, even though some signs are in place.

I hope to God you are just a stockbroker with a narrow perspective, and not a financial planner who could get sane people in real trouble.

Jud_T

« Reply #547 on: November 09, 2010, 02:47:48 PM »
Tom,

I guess I understand the correlation of the economy and your business.  And if your risk tolerance is simply to preserve capital and not diversify and actually make more than inflation on your investments, then that's fine.  No I'm not a financial planner, but I think that's probably about what most would recommend. Most people actually need to have a real return above inflation to supplement their retirement savings and given a time horizon of more than 10 years, equities will play an important role.  The bigger risk may be having longer dated fixed rate bonds, rather than floating rate or inflation linked securities as rates inevitably rise, rather than high dividend paying stocks in your situation....

John Kirk

« Reply #548 on: November 09, 2010, 07:13:35 PM »
 This topic shows the fractious nature of politics right now. This is consistent with the horrible economy, the fragile financial system,and  the negative investor attitudes of depressions.

Depression investing requires a willingness to be out of the markets while the speculators are dominant and the courage to return when the prevailing attitude is "all is lost". At the end of 2008 there was talk that corporations would all default on their debts, meanwhile the spreads on junk bonds were 100% more than their all time wides and simple math indicated the greatest buying opportunity in history.

But, those few who embrace depression investing see it differently. We think that the cycle is one of bubble and crash with the end coming , likely, 80/90% down from the peak. This whole process could take 15/20 years.

BTW, this is bad for golf clubs since frugality is rampant and saving to protect your own future is more important than spending money on such frivolities as golf.

Bump.   :D

Most find it hard to believe that a drop of 80-90% in market value is possible, since very few of us have seen such a thing.  I get a sense that such a severe drop is unlikely, for a variety of reasons.  But some statistics, such as the magnitude of outstanding debt, are similar to the Great Depression, and all the fancy accounting and maneuvering by corporations and government may not be able to stop a big decline.

More short take opinions:

The Japanese stock market (NIKKEI) is 75% below its peak 20 years ago.

High unemployment is here to stay, because of globalization and mechanization.  Move manufacturing overseas, build robots who do the work of 5-25 men, and presto, there are fewer jobs needed.  Seems pretty obvious to me.  And what are we going to do about those people who can't find a job?  Tricky problem.

Unions are a favorite whipping boy in the press, because they can be corrupt and because they tend to support one political party (the Democrats).  However, I think the country is a happier place with more of those type of medium paying jobs here in country.  But as long as it's profitable to import the goods rather than produce them here, those jobs are gone for good.  American corporations and their shareholders benefit greatly from globalization.  Third world countries benefit greatly too.  I believe the majority of Americans suffer as a result.  We could argue that, but it's not going to change any time soon.

Large American corporations are very powerful, both at home and abroad.  Laws and politics benefit the big companies.  Many American companies have huge economic moats and barriers to entry, and are still expanding globally.  This is likely to keep the stock markets from dropping too far.

Some regulation is bad and some regulation is essential.  The cry to continue dismantling regulation loses me when I see the havoc investment banks caused over the last ten years.  Sure, people should only buy houses they can afford, but I can remember a time not so long ago (like 15 years ago) when the bank was the policeman in this transaction, and responsibly rejected applications for credit.  As far as I can tell, the mortgage/housing bubble/crash is enormous, the largest we've seen, and is not anywhere near reconciled.

Quantitative easing raises the price of all assets, including housing.

Mike, FYI I haven't made a move in a long time.   I maintain an undiversified portfolio with one dominant holding, a powerful American corporation with a huge economic moat, that provides a tangible, necessary service to its customers.  That and a few broad based index funds, plus enough cash for 2-3 years of living on the sidelines.  I don't have the stomach to play the shorting game, and I've been schooled to believe that timing the market is difficult if not impossible.

(On the other hand, when quantitative easing is signaled by the Federal Reserve, as it was recently, it's fairly easy to assume that assets will stay buoyant.  I learned that from the "other" David Tepper on CNBC one morning, who said it was easy for him to invest recently, since the Federal Reserve kept signaling their intent.)

I don't buy for a minute the logic that says "reduce the taxes on small business so they can grow and hire more people."  You've got to be pretty gullible to believe that shit. I think a small business owner will only grow and add personnel if demand for his/her products grows.  Lower taxes puts more spending cash in people's pockets, and they will likely spend most of that on goods and services, which increases demand, but if I saved $50k a year in taxes on my business, I'd take a vacation or join a golf club, but I wouldn't add somebody.  The last thing I'd do is add a body around the office.

Call me crazy, but I believe the availability of cheap, high quality oil is a primary driving factor in world politics and the markets.

I have some friends who (rightly) think the market should be much lower, as the market appears to be propped up by artificial means. But it is in the best interests of most Americans that these assets maintain a higher price, so they can be used to purchase goods and services.  Perhaps I'm not being clear here.  (Added:  What I'm saying here is whether it is right or wrong, fair or unfair, it's good for America that these assets are fully valued.)

If money gets tight, and stocks drop to where I need to hunker down for a few years, those nice golf club memberships will be the first thing to go.  They are my only real luxury anyway.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:17:17 AM by John Kirk »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #549 on: November 09, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »
Credit: John Kirk

I don't buy for a minute the logic that says "reduce the taxes on small business so they can grow and hire more people."  You've got to be pretty gullible to believe that shit. I think a small business owner will only grow and add personnel if demand for his/her products grows.  Lower taxes puts more spending cash in people's pockets, and they will likely spend most of that on goods and services, which increases demand, but if I saved $50k a year in taxes on my business, I'd take a vacation or join a golf club, but I wouldn't add somebody.  The last thing I'd do is add a body around the office.

John,

:)

I played golf this summer at Kingsley Club with the president of my local bank, who I didn't know would be in our foursome.  When we met, I asked him if he could loan me a bunch of money so I could hire some guys to sit around the office asking me for something to do.

Sorry I missed you at Stone Eagle.  That place seems to be in good hands / deep pockets now.  One of the investors told me he anticipated they would lose a million in operating revenues this year, but they expected that when they bought and it wouldn't phase them!  They all love the golf course and don't plan to change a thing, other than signing up a few more members. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back