News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: The White House will soon make golf/country clubs extinct if
« Reply #300 on: October 31, 2010, 10:08:18 PM »

Why should banks take any risk when they can borrow from the Fed at close to 0% and use that money to buy Treasury notes?  No risk and a decent margin.  This continues to stifle small business growth and commercial development and construction.  (You don't want to know how I know).  There should have been some more productive strings attached to those TARP loans in my opinion.

Bill

Take it one step further. Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley (Noel's firm) were NOT banks until the financial crisis and they went running to Uncle Sam. Guess what Hank Paulson allowed them to become banks practically overnight:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/22/business/22bank.html

Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, the last big independent investment banks on Wall Street, will transform themselves into bank holding companies subject to far greater regulation, the Federal Reserve said Sunday night, a move that fundamentally reshapes an era of high finance that defined the modern Gilded Age.

The firms requested the change themselves, even as Congress and the Bush administration rushed to pass a $700 billion rescue of financial firms. It was a blunt acknowledgment that their model of finance and investing had become too risky and that they needed the cushion of bank deposits that had kept big commercial banks like Bank of America and JPMorgan Chase relatively safe amid the recent turmoil.

Now Noel stated earlier in this thread:

What bothers me is this?  No body wants to do the right thing.  The government won’t do the truly free market or Ludvig Von Mises (Austrian school) solution.  Take the hit, go bankrupt and start over.  The economy would recover much much faster instead of this long drawn out death.  I mean seriously, on a micro level, if you are in debt with not enough income to service it, what do you do? You go bankrupt and start over, you don’t go borrow more and keep doing that in the hopes you hit the lottery or get a great new job and can service the debt.  Sure that works if the overall debt level is low, but not when it is uber high like our country’s is.

When was Noel calling for doing the right thing in September 2008 ???

On to Obama .... here he has a second tier White House assistant Blog about small business creating jobs:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/10/06/helping-high-growth-small-businesses-create-jobs#

Thanks Obama for taking such an interest - ONE MONTH BEFORE MIDTERM ELECTIONS.

I did not think I would ever say this on GCA, Shivas was right!

He warned us about Obama and I did not listen.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #301 on: October 31, 2010, 10:09:53 PM »
But Patrick, your issue is how all this return to the original tax burden, and the application of reducing the mortgage deduction of amounts above 250K single to 500K family is going to harm the membership rolls of the private golf clubs.  

I bleieve that this country is in an economic hole, largely created by the phony promise that lower taxes, particularly for the wealthy, would stimulate the economy with jobs-growth and a better stronger society.  But, it didn't happen. And when the times got tough, the wealthy went golfing, and countryclubbing second golf estate home buying, etc.  Now, is time to straighten this out by putting those wealthy back at the very least to where they were prior to 2001, which would still leave them wealthy by any honest measure.  If it means a curtailing, or constricting dwindling scene on the membership rolls for a while, TOO FREAKING BAD!!!  Our country needs fiscal rectitude, more than it needs full memberships to preserve golf course architecture.  The immature taxphobic teahadist mantra is like a bunch of whining children wanting more rides at the amusement park after they have already been on all of them twice.  

I beleive that we must be ever diligent to cut waste and unnecessary spending.  But that will never happen because the most influencial in getting those wasteful spending programs are often the ones that can raise the most $$ to lobby legislators.  But, it is time to buck up old boy, pay a few more taxes, and start supporting initiatives to actually get jobs back at living wage standards from offshore, create new industry sectors like renewable energy and all its aspects.  Then, when we get back on track, you can come back for your tax breaks.  

Taxes go up, taxes go down.  there was never any guarantee it would be ever downwards.  the house is burning, we need some water, not hot air.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:02:54 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #302 on: October 31, 2010, 10:29:01 PM »
Here is what gets me.. I'm so sick of people talking about the Wall St. Bailout.  Outside of Citibank which the government has to IPO off its holdings or sell somehow, the govt is free of its stakes in the large Wall St. banks and it made a profit! Hello, a profit!

Noel,

The Federal Reserve rushed to the assistance of the banking sector by guaranteeing banks' debt, intervening in capital markets, and slashing banks interest rates to zero. In essence, the government altered the banking environment (Goldman Sachs switched to a bank in something like 3 days time during the crisis) so that it would be astonishingly easy for the banks to profit and thus earn their way out of trouble.

I am glad The Fed did it and Bernanke has done a great job, but for those of us that pay interest on a loan at market rates and had credit lines pulled during the crisis by the banks that got free money, it does not look like genius to us.

The capital and credit markets for small companies are still backed up, and it was not "Wall Street" that did it, it was your institution (which my brother also works for, so don't take it personally) and about 10-12 others that did this. The growth of this economy. specifically jobs, has been and will continue to be the small business and Obama does not seem to get that.

Why should banks take any risk when they can borrow from the Fed at close to 0% and use that money to buy Treasury notes?  No risk and a decent margin.  This continues to stifle small business growth and commercial development and construction.  (You don't want to know how I know).  There should have been some more productive strings attached to those TARP loans in my opinion.

Bill,
Not to get all Econ teacher-ish (which I am...) but banks rarely borrow from the Fed at the discount window.  They borrow from each other at the Federal Funds rate, which the Fed uses bond transactions to manipulate.  The discount rate is actually a half percent ABOVE the federal funds rate.  In other words, despite historically low rates, not much borrowing is going on.

The problem is that Fed actions are very effective at managing inflation, much less so at ending recessions.  The simple fact is that if businesses don't think they can make a profit, it doesn't matter how low the interest rate is; they won't borrow and invest.  That is turning around, but ever so slowly.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #303 on: October 31, 2010, 10:43:06 PM »
[quote author=A.G._Crockett l

Bill,
Not to get all Econ teacher-ish (which I am...) but banks rarely borrow from the Fed at the discount window.  They borrow from each other at the Federal Funds rate, which the Fed uses bond transactions to manipulate.  The discount rate is actually a half percent ABOVE the federal funds rate.  In other words, despite historically low rates, not much borrowing is going on.

Okay but they did borrow directly from the Fed when it REALLY counted and that is when they lost faith in each other:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE48O9B920080925

If the Fed will give me the 3 day bank application like Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley and I can borrow at ) 0.5% FF rate, I like my chances.

The problem is that Fed actions are very effective at managing inflation, much less so at ending recessions.  The simple fact is that if businesses don't think they can make a profit, it doesn't matter how low the interest rate is; they won't borrow and invest.  That is turning around, but ever so slowly.

Agreed, and this goes back to confidence. We need leaders in Washington. Not sure that will change on Tuesday.  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:55:39 AM by Mike Sweeney »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #304 on: October 31, 2010, 10:45:28 PM »
On to Obama .... here he has a second tier White House assistant Blog about small business creating jobs:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/10/06/helping-high-growth-small-businesses-create-jobs#

Mike, why don't you tell us what is bothering you.  ;)  Your link is to a report of a conference convened in May2010 and incorporated in an Obama speech, Aug2010.  How fast do you want them to work?  Do you expect policy to come out, have intitiative proposed and enacted into law instantaneously?  When it comes to Obamaphobia, Shivas is on the leaderboard, that is for sure.   

And, to what real extent to you think Noel might be right in his comments likening our US economy and all its aspect to a small business or family biz, where the right thing to do is 'take the hit'.  What does a hit mean in your world?  In mine it means darwinian principles and only the strong survive - the weak are cast away; and the trouble with that is we were nearly universally weak on all fronts crumbling.  I don't think it is as simple as 'taking a hit' as if it is some essoteric paper accounting mechanism of free market principles.  While most of the well written posters above on both sides of the fence are far more educated to converse on these matters, none of us can speak in cavalier terms for the pain and suffering of an entire nation of lower and middle class people as if they are merely some economic discussion talking point, and not real flesh and blood with real pain and no reserve resources to carry them through. It seems to me that if anyone has to take the hit, it is the upper 5%, which won't hurt too much for too long or even I will cry for them.  :'(  :)

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #305 on: October 31, 2010, 10:55:07 PM »
A. G., if the banks won't lend, how else can they make money?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #306 on: October 31, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »
Agreed, and this goes back to confidence. We need leaders in Washington. Not sure that will change on Tuesday. 

Mike with some of the teaparty lunatics that are projected in some polls to win, I predict you will be back on here cheering any veto and resistance Obama will have to mount to childish legislative initiatives born in belligerance recalcitrance and uneducated qualifications of that bunch.  You get Obama until 2012, and he may very well become your ideal of the best Prez ever when you get to see the real alternative out and about on the political wave in this country right now.  Shivas won't seem quite so right then... ::) :o

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #307 on: October 31, 2010, 11:04:58 PM »

Mike, why don't you tell us what is bothering you.  ;)  Your link is to a report of a conference convened in May2010 and incorporated in an Obama speech, Aug2010.  How fast do you want them to work?  Do you expect policy to come out, have intitiative proposed and enacted into law instantaneously?  When it comes to Obamaphobia, Shivas is on the leaderboard, that is for sure.  

Dick,

It will sound like I do not like him. It is not true. I voted for him and I am incredibly disappointed.

And, to what real extent to you think Noel might be right in his comments likening our US economy and all its aspect to a small business or family biz, where the right thing to do is 'take the hit'.  What does a hit mean in your world?  In mine it means darwinian principles and only the strong survive - the weak are cast away; and the trouble with that is we were nearly universally weak on all fronts crumbling.  I don't think it is as simple as 'taking a hit' as if it is some essoteric paper accounting mechanism of free market principles.  While most of the well written posters above on both sides of the fence are far more educated to converse on these matters, none of us can speak in cavalier terms for the pain and suffering of an entire nation of lower and middle class people as if they are merely some economic discussion talking point, and not real flesh and blood with real pain and no reserve resources to carry them through. It seems to me that if anyone has to take the hit, it is the upper 5%, which won't hurt too much for too long or even I will cry for them.  :'(  :)

Dick,

As the father of an Autistic child trust me, I have no interest/support of/in Darwinian principals. I was simply pointing out the double standards that Noel was advocating. In a nutshell, I think you and Obama have it all wrong. At 47 years of age, I have recreated myself once again and started a new business with a partner out of savings and cash flow. WHEN I start to hire people as employees rather than contractors we can circle back and have this discussion as they and we will be paying taxes.

First you get the country working, then you figure out who to tax. I had the same opinion of healthcare.

Not sure where or when the defense budget became the third rail of politics but does it make sense to spend what we spend when you can UPS a bomb into America. I know it is not that simple, but is it really that complicated? Reminder, I live 7 miles north of 9/11.

PS. Here is my vote for President 2012:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2010/10/24/2010-10-24_mike_bloomberg_for_president_in_2012_its_not_going_to_happen_says_author_of_mayo.html

« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:25:37 PM by Mike Sweeney »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #308 on: October 31, 2010, 11:33:56 PM »
Mike, I am the least able to speak authoratatively on the fine points of all the fiscal monetary discussion that I appreciate reading on here. 

I do know of some of the value of having a child that needed special services, and I am thankful for the ones we received from the mid 80s until he was independent by early 2000s.  My son wouldn't have had anywhere near the developmental opportunites were it not for caring and thoughtful programs enacted by good legislation and mandates for special ed, that came about with the sifting and winnowing of the years and political changes ebb and flow.  It was a process of progressive advances for all of us in such need, no? 

I'm all in favor of Obama breaking out of any traditional Dem party mold when it comes to rational assistence to stimulate small and large business, as long as we don't take too much out of the safety nets of the many who need help and who have fallen by the economic prosperity promises wayside over the last decade and more.  You are in the top % of those that can and will create.  You have an outstanding education, probably excellent connections, wit charm, good looks,,,,,, oh I digress.... ::) ;D

But, there are folks not situated to succeed quite as well as you.  I think a large majority of those that would like to, don't have the horsepower to get that biz started, or the age or the market, or the luck in some cases.  We need jobs for the less than entreprenurially able. I personally don't believe we make it up by small biz alone.  We need to recapture industrial initiatives on a larger scale that were lost off shore. That is going to take some real leadership and courage.   I don't think we need tax policies that keep CC membership rolls full or oversubscribed.  We need to balance what is needed now in bold industrial policy and return to realistic tax rates that keep our services alive, balanced with what easing can be possible again later.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #309 on: October 31, 2010, 11:49:24 PM »
Mike, even though Pat has been tauting Bloomberg for years on here, I see no reason not to consider it!  ;) ;D

But, the article also makes sense why it won't happen.  The only way you get Bloomberg, is if he is VP for somebody which may help that somebody get elected-relelected, and that somebody goes away by crook, (like Nixon) or some other not acceptable=unforseeable tragic means.  And time does not favor MB at this late time.  So, maybe the first I heard Pat yammering about it, would have been the right time, but then we would have missed Bush!  ;D ::)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #310 on: November 01, 2010, 06:30:48 AM »

I didn't say the banks wouldn't lend.  I said that businesses won't borrow at any interest rate if they don't think they can make money on the expansion.  The link between business investment and the interest rate is anticipated profit.  If you don't anticipate a profit, you don't borrow, no matter what the rate is.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #311 on: November 01, 2010, 08:14:04 AM »

I didn't say the banks wouldn't lend.  I said that businesses won't borrow at any interest rate if they don't think they can make money on the expansion.  The link between business investment and the interest rate is anticipated profit.  If you don't anticipate a profit, you don't borrow, no matter what the rate is.

AG,

This is if you believe in efficient markets. I don't, especially now. I could go through any of my clients which range from start-up to $300 million NASDAQ market cap to show you the inefficiencies of the bank and capital markets. Making loans through credit card rates of 12-14% is not bank lending. The smart/lucky ones figure it out, as I had one last summer get a loan/investment from Gov Ed Rendell of Pennsylvania because he could not get reasonable bank rates and he did not want to dilute his shareholders (which includes himself) in a down market.

Dick Daley,

There is a politician that understands how to make deals, make investments in his state in order to maintain, and in this case with a new plant being built today, grow jobs in his state. There is another one to look at for 2012.

David_Tepper

J Sadowsky

« Reply #313 on: November 01, 2010, 09:24:23 AM »
For the love of G'd, please end this thread.

archie_struthers

« Reply #314 on: November 01, 2010, 09:42:16 AM »
 :( ??? ::) >:(

We can argue alll we want about Dems vs Republicans , it's what keeps the system intact. Isn't it great that allour legislators have the time and money to fly allover the country spending milions on congressionall and senate races from Florida to Alaska .  If Dustin Johnson was a politician , they would hae gotten an injunction for a redo on the 18th hole .

In NJ my town built a school for $40,000,000 with mmost all the bells an whsitels less than ten years ago.  At the same time and it may still be on the internet the town of Millville proposed building a similar , slightly  larger school for the bargain price of $153,000,000 . This job was run by the school construction corporation, a state agency created in the last regime . With record unemployment and building trades workers laid off all over the place these these guys figured they could get the job done for the bargain basement price oF $390 A SQUARE FOOT....and no one blinked !  Are you kidding me ???

At every level we should vote politicians out after one term and return them to the workplace , it's the quickest eaiest way to fix what is broken. Unless of course you want them to check your voitng records and campaign contributions before you pull a permit to paint your house .  It's copming i!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:46:42 AM by archie_struthers »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #315 on: November 01, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »
Jesse Ventura said politicians should be like NASCAR drivers and wear bright flashy suits that blatantly display who owns them.

I like that idea...

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Noel Freeman

« Reply #316 on: November 01, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »
Jesse Ventura said politicians should be like NASCAR drivers and wear bright flashy suits that blatantly display who owns them.

I like that idea...

Mike-- I thought he was living off the grid in Mexico.. Great comment though..

Noel Freeman

« Reply #317 on: November 01, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »

Why should banks take any risk when they can borrow from the Fed at close to 0% and use that money to buy Treasury notes?  No risk and a decent margin.  This continues to stifle small business growth and commercial development and construction.  (You don't want to know how I know).  There should have been some more productive strings attached to those TARP loans in my opinion.

Bill

Take it one step further. Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley (Noel's firm) were NOT banks until the financial crisis and they went running to Uncle Sam. Guess what Hank Paulson allowed them to become banks practically overnight:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/22/business/22bank.html

Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, the last big independent investment banks on Wall Street, will transform themselves into bank holding companies subject to far greater regulation, the Federal Reserve said Sunday night, a move that fundamentally reshapes an era of high finance that defined the modern Gilded Age.

The firms requested the change themselves, even as Congress and the Bush administration rushed to pass a $700 billion rescue of financial firms. It was a blunt acknowledgment that their model of finance and investing had become too risky and that they needed the cushion of bank deposits that had kept big commercial banks like Bank of America and JPMorgan Chase relatively safe amid the recent turmoil.

Now Noel stated earlier in this thread:

What bothers me is this?  No body wants to do the right thing.  The government won’t do the truly free market or Ludvig Von Mises (Austrian school) solution.  Take the hit, go bankrupt and start over.  The economy would recover much much faster instead of this long drawn out death.  I mean seriously, on a micro level, if you are in debt with not enough income to service it, what do you do? You go bankrupt and start over, you don’t go borrow more and keep doing that in the hopes you hit the lottery or get a great new job and can service the debt.  Sure that works if the overall debt level is low, but not when it is uber high like our country’s is.

When was Noel calling for doing the right thing in September 2008 ???

First of all who I work for is irrelevant here, this is a forum about golf although I did make a comment on TARP that is completely true, I did not invoke any particular firm that I work for and it does not belong here..  My point in arguing on it, was it is weak politically since both democrats and republicans can both take credit for it being a success yet continue to milk it as a reason why unemployment is weak and the economy is bad, it is purely a scapegoat.

In 2008, what was correct public policy and what I think are irrelevant.  First of all, I believe your history is flawed in a few respects.  I believe it was Paulson who called in the heads of the investment/commercial banks and said guess what boys, you are taking TARP.  And then some of the banks were made commercial banks to further give discount window borrowing if needed.  Would any of the banks survived if this did not take place?  I'll leave that to the great book, Too Big to Fail.  And the answer is this, there would have been massive consolidation with several banks failing due to the inability to get financing in the repo markets-- Since the repo markets are going to be above many here's ken I'm not going to go into it but say this-- Investment Banks financed themselves thru interdealer markets with collateralized lending, not thru DEPOSITS like a normal bank does.. When confidence erodes the system, banks will not lend to each other so gasp they can't fund themselves and they must unload assets which causes a vicious circle.. With no discount window to go to (because they are not commercial banks), the crisis builds.. So I didnt see Goldman etc go running to the Fed, once TARP was developed, this was a natural progression to give another layer of protection and made sense after the whole existing system was scrapped.  If all the banks went down (with the exception of JPM which would have survived) I'd imagine new ones would have taken their places or the assets of other would have been picked apart by survivors...New boutique investment banks would have started, there are too many smart people out there, it just would have taken time..  And a lot of those damn hedge funds the press loves to flame would have went down with no repo market to fund themselves either.

What could have happened was this:  The Fed seeing this as a crisis of confidence could have guaranteed interbank lending (Ireland did this) allowing firms to fund themselves without TARP etc.  It could have then allowed the markets to calm and then ordered stronger capital requirements on investment banks--and let us not get started about Glass Steagal and how that comes into play.

Here is where I see the double standard:

The only solutions so far are more debt and stimulus spending-- I note I see NASA suffering now, which amazes me.. $1trn in spending and we defund NASA, the main incubator of technology and discovery in this country, Government Spending I do support.  Why on a micro level does it make no sense to borrow your way out of debt but on a macro level it does? Explain that to me.  Here is what is happening that the average american doesnt understand:

1) Social Security will have to be means tested in future years because interest on debt plus SS spending will usurp most government revenues
2) If all this money creation (right now it is sitting in the monetary base and stuck b/c the money multiplier is broken) eventually results in inflation, this vaporizes the middle class because the cost of goods go up and this impacts the lower/middle classes the most
3) Peak Oil--we are running out of oil and oil is what also greases the farming economy.. When gas and food prices go up you vaporize your middle class.. Since the Fed is trying to reflate the massive debt load this will eventually HURT the middle class.
4) This country has LOST its manufacturing base (1/3 of it disappeared in the last 10y) so all of those hard working blue collar workers actually got in on the latter part of the housing boom.. What are they supposed to do now? Where will these jobs come from?  I don't know but it seems the stimulus was a big waste if they can't find work or re-tool..

So what is my answer-- well there are no adults out there, no one from both sides to get together and say we need to solve the problems.  I would imagine the right thing would be a short term stimulus (not a huge one) combined with a 1-2y plan to get the deficit down sharply which would mean defense spending needs to be cut).  I don't think the Fed needs to quantitatively ease..  With a credible medium term deficit reduction plan, confidence will come back into the system.  I also think there needs to be a huge boom in Westinghouse scholarships in the US to get the best and brightest here, a flat tax to simplify the tax code and tax incentives for factories to locate in the US.  The flat tax can phase in at a higher income level with possible surcharges for income levels above a certain level.. In lieu of that it is hard for me to say that taxes on the wealthy won't go up, but 40pct as the top seems to be the limit for the moment... Markets are all about credibility and our politicians lie and lie and most Americans don't have the time nor the education anymore to see what goes on, they just think government can solve all their problems which is about as likely as caddies on the LPGA tour actually doing the putting instead of all the currently do..

Again, I did not impugn your character with saying anything about double standards etc..

I just want to play golf.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:50:31 PM by NFreeman »

Jud_T

« Reply #318 on: November 01, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
Shiv,

I generally agree with you.  However, all this fear of future inflation is misplaced.  What we have now is a potential deflation problem.  Everyone is in a race to devalue their currency.  I know there's some commodity inflation, but frankly if gas is more expensive that gets us off the mideast teat sooner (frankly I think we should slap a huge gas tax on each gallon, but that's not a progressive tax and hence isn't politically correct).  You can't have a domestic inflation problem with 9.5% unemployment, 3-5 years supply of homes sitting idle and a ton of excess industrial capacity in the system.  And please don't start in with the Wiemar Republic!  ;D  and ANYONE who starts talking about the price of gold will go directly to the penalty box!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Craig Sweet

« Reply #319 on: November 01, 2010, 02:51:43 PM »
Shivas, that is the wildest, most misplaced hatred,  I have ever seen you spew here!  A huge chunk of the current deficit is Bush's tax cut.  For 8 years he and his rich conservatives continued to spend money they didn't have.  Meanwhile, those "rich conservatives" created very few jobs in America...but they sure did a great job investing in China or parking it in a bank 

There's some real problems in this country and guys like Mucci are concerned about country clubs closing down...and guys like you are so blinded by ideology and a hatred of working Americans that you don't realize your arrogance is a major turn off...the middle class is smart enough to know that NO rich conservative is going to provide them with a job because that rich guy got a tax cut...it hasn't happened..Never has happened...never will happen. 

LOCK HIM UP!!!

JESII

« Reply #320 on: November 01, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »
What is "The Middle Class"?

Tim Martin

« Reply #321 on: November 01, 2010, 03:22:16 PM »
Pat-Anyone that was on the ledge has now plummeted to their demise after reading the tenor of your post. I can only imagine that this will escalate into a political donnybrook of epic proportions. Things were getting king of boring in the DG I guess. ;)

I`m not one for saying "I told you so" but please refer to post # 2 :o

Craig Sweet

« Reply #322 on: November 01, 2010, 03:26:59 PM »
You are absolutely right Shivas...professional liars are everywhere....I see them all the time on TV...most have an 'R' after their names, and way to many have a 'D' after their name.  They like to keep myths alive....(god, how horrible life must have been when the highest tax margin was close to 50%!) These ass clowns depend on keeping these myths alive to maintain their own political lives and to enrich themselves and their buddies...the best myth...of all time..???? "government can't do anything right"

So yeah Shivas...professional liars are bad. Who gets to decide who the liars are?

So here we are Shivas...I think it would have been most interesting if the government (Bush/Obama) had said screw you to the banks and the auto industry and let them fail....I think it would have been very interesting to have resisted any kind of economic stimulus...let private industry dig us out of the recession on their own...Yep..screw the tax cuts...no tax cuts for anyone. Take our cold war era military and cut it in half...bring the troops home from Germany, Great Britain, Japan, Italy, the Middle East, Korea...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jud_T

« Reply #323 on: November 01, 2010, 03:35:01 PM »
Craig,

No mortgage, credit card, bank loan, car loan, college loan.  Dow 3000...30% unemployment, riots in the streets...great call dude...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

mike_malone

« Reply #324 on: November 01, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »
 To get back to Pat's question "Can political moves seriously hurt golf clubs?" I say "No!". It is the economy that does it . The golden age of architecture was coincidental to the Roaring 20's. This excess was logically followed by a major retrenchment in the economy that I believe is mostly affected by mood. The mood changes from ebullient to depressed. I don't make any causal statements here just observations.

It only makes sense to me that the same golf/economy bubble happened in the last decade or so and now the mood has shifted to depressed. This should lead to problems for clubs just as it did in the 30's.

The politics gets radicalized in this environment so it makes sense that we vote in Obama then two years later we look to the Tea Party. Politics is hostage to the economy.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back