News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Is the reason more info isn't exchanged about Chicago Golf Club...
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »
whoops

Its incredible how many greens have bunkers to the rear and that essentially creates a squared effect.  I hadn't noticed this aspect of Raynor before.  Are there other Raynor's with so much rear bunkering?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Buck Wolter

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2010, 11:30:32 AM »
That was Macdonald's original Muirfield-style routing, with all the OOB left, favoring his typical ball flight, left to right.  What a competitor!

He must not have planned to play St Louis very often as the OB is all to the right
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

V. Kmetz

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2010, 11:40:24 AM »
Bill and all:

Without having to flesh it out like a factual and legal argument, I guess one of the insinuated "theses" I wished to poll the board about is

1.  Whether the old, pre-Raynor 1921 layout of Charlie's isn't very revealing in the biography of American GCA, in that one of its great agitators first made a course that looked more like the steeplechase bowling alleys of what was starting to develop than the sophistication and nuance of studied, imported principles which he and Raynor and Banks became famous for.

Charlie played plenty of golf in the UK all throughout his 1875-1893 so-called "Dark Ages" but the little I know of his Chicago to date seems to say that those trips had little influence when he designed his first 18 hole version.

I have no way of knowing the answer to that, except the aggregate of opinion.

I put it to the board:

Is it possible that Charlie was dissatisfied with what had been developed by he and his cohorts at Wheaton and this inspired him to make real study of courses and architecture when he thought to build another...like the NGLA project?

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back