News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard_Mandell

Symposium on Affordable Golf Update
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
The Symposium on Affordable Golf continues to grow in attendance as golfers and industry people alike converge in a meeting of the minds.  The event, to be held on Monday, November 8th at Southern Pines Golf Club in Southern Pines, North Carolina, expects to top more than 100 attendees from all over the world.  The goal is to generate healthy discussion on how to return the game of golf to a state of stability, prosperity, and affordable simplicity.

www.symposiumonaffordablegolf.com

We're glad to announce that Wildhorse Golf Club in Gothenburg, Nebraska has agreed to participate as our second case study at the Symposium on Affordable Golf (along with Herndon Centennial Golf Course in Herndon, Virginia).  Wild Horse Golf Club was built in the Sandhills of Nebraska for less than $2 million dollars (including land purchase) by a group of golfers who wanted to upgrade the golf offerings within their hometown of Gothenburg.  Banded together with efforts from local farmers willing to help out, Wild Horse is an excellent example of allowing the land to dictate the development of a fantastic, playable golf course.  But more than just seeking out a great piece of rolling Nebraska Sandhills, Wild Horse Golf Club is an example of affordable golf from the maintenance and operational side as well.  Doing without the extras that most modern facilities have deemed “irreplaceable”, the folks at Wild Horse have proven that pure golf architecture and sensible day to day operations can rank Wild Horse among the best golf courses in the country. Don Graham, (General Manager) and Josh Mahar (superintendent) will be representing the course.

We are also happy to announce that both the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America and the PGA of America have determined that the Symposium on Affordable Golf is worthy of continuing education for their respective members. (GCSAA Education Points - .70 and PGA – 6 Hours MSR) There is no cost to attend the Symposium, but you do need to register.  Visit www.symposiumonaffordablegolf.com to reserve your participation in the discussion.  If you have problems registering, just email me the info at richardmandell@golf-architecture.com

One final thought:  On the morning of Tuesday, November 9th, we have a block of tee times to play Southern Pines Golf Club for $35.00.  This is a great Donald Ross golf course that is certainly a good example of affordable golf in the sense that it is all about the routing of the golf holes and nothing else.  Golf this simple is simply this great.  No frills, no additives, no high fructose corn syrup, no waterfalls.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:21:32 AM by Richard_Mandell »

Adam Clayman

Re: Symposium on Affordable Golf Update
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:57:12 AM »
Richard, That's a great call having Wild Horse participate.

It's on the short list of best values in the country, when you factor price with the quality of golf available.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Michael Blake

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:26:06 PM »
Richard,

It's great that Wild Horse will be presenting.
Were Dan & Dave invited to speak as well regarding the design & build or are you just focusing on the operations aspect?

Thanks.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »
Richard, congratulations and thank you for being a champion of this vitally important topic of promoting affordable golf.  You have an all-star panel of truly 'the real deal' experts on the subject to share ideas with the attendees.  What a perfect place to hold the event, with Southern Pines being one of those unique places where location, and circumstances of being an Elks club and available to Elks members at truly affordable prices.  While I don't know specifics of membership there in recent years, I do know it was a no-brainer for someone living in that area.  Even Ran Morrisett somehow found his way from Australia to Southern Pines, which would seem to be a journey of improbable destination, if it weren't for the recognition that a great deal in golf was available at the end of that trail.  ;D

When it comes to the speaker schedule, it just seems that each section's topic could be a whole day of presentation and discussion onto itself, and 1/2 hour to hour hardly scratches the surface.  Picking a course like Wild Horse is an obvious special sitution where many synergistic circumstances have to come into play.  Yet, they had a model of 'intra-state' share offering, along with a homesite component to help capitalize the venture.  I would encourage you to have Don and Josh (if they haven't already planned to do so) bring out the actual offering prospectus and allow attendees to see the specific approach that was taken to make their home course a reality.  You couldn't have two more compelling industry reps to recount a successful project from the begining to current issues.

Those who attend the forum presumably want to foster affordable new projects, and in that vain may be looking for models on projects to copy or learn from.  In that vain, I would offer the project I was involved with in the form of that old prospectus for attendee purusal.  You would be amazed at how close in structure it was to Wild Horse, even though it was attempted 6 years prior to WH.  I'll send you an IM.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 01:05:52 PM »
It's great that Wild Horse will be presenting.
Were Dan & Dave invited to speak as well regarding the design & build or are you just focusing on the operations aspect?

I did want someone who could speak from a perspective beyond just the design and development which is why Don and Josh are coming.

Those who attend the forum presumably want to foster affordable new projects, and in that vain may be looking for models on projects to copy or learn from.

Bottom line is that this Symposium must focus on what people with existing courses can do to change things today more so than prospective developers seeking out a model for future projects.  We will be discussing things from the new development perspective as well, bu the focus won't be entirely there.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 01:17:15 PM »
Perhaps George Pazin could be enlisted to print up some tee shirts with the slogan coined by Tim Wieman, "people want to play more, not pay more"... ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 01:57:06 PM »
I doubt that Josh will toot his horn, but, if the attendees want to learn how to keep costs down to make it more affordable there's no better model than Josh Mahar. As I was told last week, "he runs a tight ship" (Maintenance side) and he runs it like a general should run his resources. Tight and efficient. One major key is that Josh works. Whatever needs to be done. He's not only delegating, but doing.  There are other great example of affordable golf here, too. At West Wind. Corey works. Knows his stuff, and, has some of the best conditions of any town's course. (and given the irr system) Bayside; day in day out Elton delivers enjoyable conditions. Considering his budget, that's awesome.
Western Nebraskans are fortunate indeed to have al these affordable choices within relatively close proximity.

Is it a coincidence that of all three of these courses have several of the same people associated with their origins? Bunker Hill boys help build Sandy Hills, where Corey and Josh work. Then they build WH, taking Josh away from Corey and SH. Then they build Bayside. And Finally Corey buys West Wind. I tell you it's like a fairy tale. And considering all the horror stories coming out of the major markets and their golf course seen, a fairly happy ending.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »
Adam, there have been lineages or traditions of mentoring within the superintendent/golf maintenance circles forever.  Yet, this 'sandyhills gang' are an unquestionable group that deserve their own designation (like we designate 'Philidelphia school, Chicago school, Dye School in architecture, etc.). 

Is Sandy Hills school the right moniker?  Believers?  Maybe, Corey's Clan?  Yes, they are rugged, make-do, are resourceful and skilled, work very hard.  And, I for one have been the unlikely and lucky witness of how skilled they are at 'playin hard' .  It is like in the old MMM cowboy song, "When the Work's all Done in Fall"!!!

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »
I doubt that Josh will toot his horn

I am expecting him to toot his horn.  That's the kind of tooting we need to make this thing work.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back