News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Burke

NLE course info
« on: October 26, 2008, 02:46:45 AM »
I grew up on the Jersey Shore, and was fortunate to get to play many of the Metro NY are golf courses.
I remember my dad talking about Fairway Mews in Spring Lake, and it seemed that he thought it pretty good.
It was plowed under for condos with an exec course years ago.  Found an aerial from historicaerials.com  that showed the course in  1947.
Any info on this course?  It is pretty interesting with my family background abd the amount of golf I played across the street at Spring Lake
Somehow, I thought a well know Architect had a hand in it

Thomas MacWood

Re: NLE course info
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:46:11 AM »
I was looking in an old golf course guide and there was course in Spring Lake called Homestead. I wonder if that is your course. I believe Homestead was designed by Donald Ross.

Pat Burke

Re: NLE course info
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:40:17 PM »
I was looking in an old golf course guide and there was course in Spring Lake called Homestead. I wonder if that is your course. I believe Homestead was designed by Donald Ross.

Thanks Tom, I do believe it was Homestead.  Not sure, but remember my dad (who was a pretty good player) saying it was a pretty good course.  Tough to tell from aerials, but it looks pretty interesting in spots.
Thanks again

Jim_Kennedy

Re: NLE course info New
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:59:53 AM »
Pat,
I was rummaging around at the FultonHistory site and found a reference to the Homestead golf course. It was built by Donald Ross and the Ross Society has it listed as one of his courses.

The course known as Fairway Mews wasn't on the 1920 photo from HistoricAerials. There is a course shown on that aerial that is known today as Spring Lake CC but that's Tillie/Thomas(I think).

The Homestead course was in service for the 1921 golf season, as supported by this article:

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%205/Brooklyn%20NY%20Daily%20Eagle/Brooklyn%20NY%20Daily%20Eagle%201921%20Grayscale/Brooklyn%20NY%20Daily%20Eagle%201921%20Grayscale%20-%206393.pdf#xml=http://www.fultonhistory.com/dtSearch/dtisapi6.dll?cmd=getpdfhits&u=ffffffff927b9a5e&DocId=13194071&Index=Z%3a%2fFulton%20Historical&HitCount=3&hits=81a+81b+81c+&SearchForm=C%3a\inetpub\wwwroot\Fulton_New_form.html&.pdf

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:08:47 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back