News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

How does gca.com end?
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »
I posted this in the sticky comment, but felt that it possibly deserves its own space as to not get lost.  Bascially, I asked Ran how he saw this web site ending?

Can it go on forever, being run by the heirs or appointees of Ran Morrisett?

Does it morph into some bigger site?  My favorite Dallas Stars board, started and run like this one just did that, going into ESPN.com Dallas.  Of course, its popularity went way down because it feels corporate.

Or does the next Merion thread just have Ran throwing up his hands (or just throwing up) in disgust and shutting her down?

BTW, I still envision any formal ending with an all time list of participants doing a version of the old Mary Tyler Moore show "group hug" but shuffling off the 18th green of some famous course in our last desparate act of access whoring via this website..........   ;)

And I still wonder who will play the Ted Baxter role?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

George Pazin

Re: How does gca.com end?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »
Forever is kind of a meaningless concept in today's world, but that gets my vote.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Steve Wilson

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:13:19 PM »
Jeff,
I'd volunteer for the Ted Baxter role--I can do the pretentiousness and the bombast--but alas I lack the silvery hair.  Indeed, I lack hair altogether. 

Sorry about these frivolous posts, but I always get giddy on the eve of traveling to the Dixie Cup.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 01:12:28 PM »
To promote "Frank Commentary" in this digital age I always figured eventually that GCA would become a private site. But then that is unlikely. I can't imagine the sight changing much from it's current form and doubt ESPN or Yahoo would buy the website as this board almost defines "niche."
H.P.S.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 02:03:20 PM »
GCA.com ending...

FINAL SCENE

SETTING:  THE MASTER BEDROOM AT THE MORRISETT HOME IN PINEHURST, NC.

>> OPEN WITH BLACK SCREEN.

>> SUDDENLY A BEDSIDE TABLE LAMP IS TURNED ON.

Ran Morrisett sits up in bed. Next to him, with only the back of his head above the covers, is Tom Paul.

Ran says, "Tom, I just had the craziest dream. I dreamt that I was in a 1910 Pennsylvania pub with Hugh Wilson discussing his thoughts for a course at Merion... when all of a sudden C.B. McDonald crawls out from under the table shouting, "Those are my ideas!!!"

Tom Paul pulls back the covers and turns to Ran... only to reveal that he is actually David Moriarty!!!

David says, "See... I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

Ran screams like a 12 year old girl on a roller coaster.

FADE TO BLACK

THE END
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
It ends not with a bang but with a whimper.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »
GCA.com ending...

FINAL SCENE

Ran Morrisett sits up in bed. Next to him, with only the back of his head above the covers, is Tom Paul.

Ran says, "Tom, I just had the craziest dream. I dreamt that I was in a 1910 Pennsylvania pub with Hugh Wilson discussing his thoughts for a course at Merion... when all of a sudden C.B. McDonald crawls out from under the table shouting, "Those are my ideas!!!"

Tom Paul pulls back the covers and turns to Ran... only to reveal that he is actually David Moriarty!!!

FADE TO BLACK

THE END

That is good but I think it should be more Sopranos-esque in that we should all be left thinking that somehow the power went out and it will come back on in just a minute for the final scene.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 02:11:29 PM »
GCA.com ending...

FINAL SCENE

FADE TO BLACK

THE END

M Night Shaymalan ain't got nuthin' on you:):)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 02:12:42 PM »
GCA.com ending...

FINAL SCENE

FADE TO BLACK

THE END

M Night Shaymalan ain't got nuthin' on you:):)
;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 02:17:59 PM »
Newhart, the best ending ever! And, golf related.

Other possibilities include last season's Lost ending, or Dick Van Dyke where Rob Reiner buys Rob Petrie's life story script to turn into a TV show.....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 02:22:48 PM »
Dallas, where a whole season was just a dream.......

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »
Jeff
Why do you ask?

It can end for any individual any time they want.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 02:37:25 PM »
The site gains consciousness, starts referring to itself as Hal. Kills all participants in an effort to prevent being shut down.
Eventually marries Geoff Shackelford's site.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 02:38:44 PM »
Maybe our leader will one day grow beyond our lying, petty morality and thus beyond caring; and so will gain 80 pounds, shave his head, and take a Life photoghrapher with him into the jungles of Vietnam, way up the river; and he will then sit perfectly motionless in a dark shack thinking about all the poor golf courses he's seen in his life, saying "The Horror. The Horror." And then when I volunteer to go up there to get him back to gca.com, he'll sit me down across from him in the gloom and dank and ask:

"Are you an assassin, Peter?"
"Actually I'm a writer, Ran, well, at least a part-time writer, you know - for my own interest, that kind of thing."
"You're neither - you're an errand boy, sent by a grocery clerk, to collect a bill".
"Ah. I see. Listen, the thing is - some of the fellas back at gca.com are getting a little worried about you."
"What are they saying about me, Peter?"
"Well, to be honest, they're saying that you've gone totally insane and that your methods are unsound".
"Do you think my methods are unsound, Peter?"
"I -- don't -- see any -- method -- at all, Ran. For example, this hickory kick that you're on - I mean, what's up with that?"

Peter

(Rory - Ha, ha, very nicely done!!)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
GCA.com ending...

FINAL SCENE

FADE TO BLACK

THE END

That's not bad, but I have an alternative ending:

Scene is the 18th at National, Mucci and Morrissett are all square in their match, both in the fairway after hitting good tee shots. Check that, Ran is in the rough (and gets a shot) and Mucci is debating whether or not to go for the green in two and pondering what CBM would have thought about the 460cc driver he used to hit it this far...

Suddenly, they are caught in the final shootout between  MacWood/Moriarty and TEP/Morrison. Kennedy is carrying weapons for the MacWood side: shivs made out of old microfiche and shields crafted out of 10,000 old newspaper articles held together by Elmers glue and a vivid imagination. Jeff Brauer is carrying weapons for TEP/Morrison: medevil flails with the swinging end made out of drafts of their book on Flynn. Joe Bausch is frantically snapping pictures of the hole and the combatants and downloading them on his iPad. It looks as if MacWood has the advantage since they have their backs to the green and hold the high ground, while TEP is blinded by the light behind the green. Phil Young is egging both sides on but just before the fighting starts, Mucci pulls a water cannon from his bag and splatters everyone with green paint. In the ensuing bedlam, Morrison quits the fight, hops in Melvin Morrow's buggy, and makes a break for nearby Shinnecock in an attempt to plant a sign that says Hole 8 is NOT a Redan.  MacWood pursues Wayne and shouts: "how can you PROVE that Macdonald did not visit Rolling Green and therefore deserves co-design credit?"

Ran hangs his head and walks away muttering: "This is what I created?"
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:58:00 PM by Bill Brightly »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 03:19:24 PM »
Bill,

Tell me, who among us will be the one to pee on Ran's grave?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 03:45:44 PM »
Bill,

Somebody did that in "Dallas?"   ??? :o

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 04:10:47 PM »

Great, now I have a vision of Bill McBride grinning widely with shiraz stained teeth while contemplating the curves of one Delta Burke.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Michael Huber

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
Donald Trump will by the site and proceed to declare 'THIS WEBSITE IS THE FINEST SITE FOR FRANK COMMENTARY IN THE ENTIRE UNITED STATES'

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »
Bill,

I think that's the cover of Ingvie Malmsteen's next album:):)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

JR Potts

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 04:39:37 PM »
With all who posted on this thread getting booted from this site for not discussing architecture.

Mike Benham

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 05:32:15 PM »

Much like a star that is many many light years away, perhaps it has already ended but we don't know it yet ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 05:38:53 PM »

By signing a 10 years contract with the R&A to promote their ideas (alas the R&A have never had an idea between themselves in nearly 200 years, but hope springs eternal like the British economy) :-\

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 06:07:13 PM »

Great, now I have a vision of Bill McBride grinning widely with shiraz stained teeth while contemplating the curves of one Delta Burke.

Delta Burke was in Dallas??

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 06:24:52 PM »

Delta Burke was in Dallas??

Bill-Wasn`t Delta in Designing Woman? If I remember correctly a show featuring 4 southern belles who used the great template holes as the inspiration for their interior design business. ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back