News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

The Continuing Education of JC Jones - New England
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »
As JC Jones makes his way from the swamps of Naples Florida to the pine trees of Carolina and last weekend to my home town of Philadelphia, I feel it is time to educate the “Double Sparky” from Michigan about the most underrated area in the USA and maybe the world (?) aka New England.

Noel Freeman has an interesting comment about New England golf:

Yale does not remind me of Cruden Bay at all.. Nothing at all..  It reminds me of a crazy topography New England course--see Eastward Ho! or Whippoorwill..

Yale

Taconic

Prouts Neck

Cape Arundel

Eastward Ho!

Ekwanock

Newport

Sankaty Head

CC of Fairfield

Rutland

Kittansett

Wannamoisett

The 9 Hole New Englander at Hotchkiss and Edgartown:

Myopia and Essec County (MA)

Thankfully, CC of Fairfield is first across the New England border, let’s see if JC can get me on!

JC Jones

Re: The Continuing Education of JC Jones - New England
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »
I guess when you are as good of an access whore as I am, they come to you before you get to them.

Thanks for the invite to play these gems, see you soon, buddy!!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 11:16:40 PM »
 8)  JC,

Maybe some customized balls are in order for your eventual sojourn to new england's venues.. "JCJ aka DBS Played Here" or something ;D
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Brian Laurent

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:00:58 AM »
Some amazing looking places there, Mike!  I recently had some business in Holyoke, Mass and stayed in West Springfield near Springfield CC.  One morning while on my way from the hotel to our project, I forced myself to make the left-hand turn into the club and get a little peak.  It seemed to have some interesting terrain and from doing a little more digging, found it is an old Donald Ross (at least a portion). 

What is the overall impression of Springfield CC and how does it compare to some of these other New England gems?

Thanks,

Brian
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 09:03:01 AM »
I've never heard of Prouts Neck, but that picture makes it look fantastic. Not much comes up on Google other that it's in Maine. Can you elaborate on the course information? Who is the GCA? Does the rest of the golf course look that good?
H.P.S.

Billsteele

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 09:47:55 AM »
Pat-I believe Prouts Neck is attributed to Wayne Stiles (of Stiles and Van Kleek fame). Every time I see their work, I wonder, "Did they ever do anything bad?" I have always been impressed by their courses and they are all over New England. At least three of the courses Mike mentioned have their imprint (Taconic, Rutland and Prouts Neck). Woods Hole down on the Cape is also very cool.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:49:45 AM by Billsteele »

Michael Moore

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 09:53:26 AM »
Does the rest of the golf course look that good?

Yes !
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 09:55:25 AM »
Pat-I believe Prouts Neck is attributed to Wayne Stiles (of Stiles and Van Kleek fame). Every time I see their work, I wonder, "Did they ever do anything bad?" I have always been impressed by their work and it is all over New England. At least three of the courses Mike mentioned have their imprint (Taconic, Rutland and Prouts Neck). Woods Hole down on the Cape is also very cool.

South Shore CC in Hingham, MA also a Stiles.  Incredible layout, fun green complexes, and reasonably priced.  The current 14 / 15 holes were rerouted due to new residential devlopments and don't fit with the other original 16 holes, but the round is still fun.  I consider it one of the better public options in the greater Boston area.  

Brian, I grew up ten min from Springfield CC in Enfield, CT, yet have never had the opportunity to play there.  I, like you, have gotten curious on a few occasions and have driven, and even walked a few of the holes.  The length on the card is pretty short by comparison to today's standards, but the grade change throughout the course should make up for the lack of yardage.  Looks like an incredible piece of property.  I wish I knew more about the place.    
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
I've never heard of Prouts Neck, but that picture makes it look fantastic. Not much comes up on Google other that it's in Maine. Can you elaborate on the course information? Who is the GCA? Does the rest of the golf course look that good?

Prout's Neck is a wonderful course and experience.  It is extremely laid back.  I believe walking only unless disabled.  Impression was a New England blue blood course but accesible by staying at the Black Point Inn across the street.  That being said many of the holes need a chainsaw for it to really be top notch.

Some pix from a few years back:

A couple to show the need for massive tree clearing:

View of the course from the Black Point Inn:

One more of the Inn:

BTW anyone else having trouble with the preview function working?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:21:22 AM by Cliff Hamm »

Mike Cirba

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »
Great Pictures, Mike...thanks for sharing.

New England is indeed a underrated frontier, and I'm really glad I was able to get up there for a few days recently.

Even the municipal courses like George Wright benefit tremendously from the wildly heaving terrain.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 05:22:35 PM »
Regarding Springfield CC:

As I am originally from the area, I have played out there probably 8--10 times.  I hadn't been in more than a decade, until visiting this past July for a tournament.

I would venture to say it would be a Doak 3, maybe a 4, tops.  The first and 10th are potentially drivable par-4s, very little interest.  You can hit driver, fairway wood or 5-iron, depending on whether you want a full wedge or a delicate pitch for the approach.  The 2nd is a miniscule par-3 over a little pond, maybe 90 yards.  Both the 9th and 18th are "blah" par-3s, side-by-each, heading uphill towards the hilltop clubhouse.  In between, you have 6-8 holes of some architectural and topographical interest, but there are many courses within a short drive that are far superior:  The Ranch, Orchards, Crestview, Longmeadow and Crumpin--Fox, a bit further afield.

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 05:24:32 PM »
Joel, has Springfield CC's routing been butchered throughout the years, or is the original course / character still in tact?
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Jud_T

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 08:11:33 PM »
Posted by: Nick Campanelli 

Joel, has Springfield CC's routing been butchered throughout the years, or is the original course / character still in tact?

Nick--I am no expert on Springfield CC, believe me, but you bring up an excellent point, and one I meant to make in my previous post.
It is my understanding that that GC has had more cosmetic surgery than Joan Rivers, and the result is equally abysmal!

It's not awful, but it's not anything special, playing-wise.  Post-round, the porch is comfortable, the views are long, and the beer is cold, so it has a trio of attributes, anyway....

JC Jones

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mike Sweeney

Re: The Continuing Education of JC Jones - New England New
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 08:28:58 PM »
The Silva tour:

Red Tail

Black Rock
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:31:28 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back