News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Re: Scottish Open heads to the links
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2010, 05:52:08 AM »
Though I'm sure most of us here would like to see the Scottish Open at a traditional or even a modern links, there are a few more inland possibilities? I think Gleneagles is out because they already have another event even though it's on the PGA Centenary course. How about Spey Valley? That already hosts a one of the minor tours and it would be a good way for resort owners to drum up interest. Or what about the "top secret" Gwest, next door to Gleneagles? When is that due to open and is it the sort of place that would want the publicity?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2010, 06:14:55 AM »
Robin
So you consider Kingsbarns a links course ?

It's not a links course in the strict definition of the term, but then I don't think they were being slavish to geomorphic correctness in the press statement.  Kingsbarns offers 'links' conditions in a 'links' environment, ie; hard by the sea shore.  I think that's basically what they are looking for. 

It deserves it's own tour event.  It gets my vote.

Plus there was a bunch of sand underneath the whole lower shelf of the site... So it's reasonable to presume that there were true links conditions there before they started farming it long ago...

Niall C

« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2010, 02:54:38 PM »
Ally

The lower half of the site was a nine hole links course about a century ago, I think.

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2010, 02:10:49 PM »
And the Irish .......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/9125700.stm

Graeme McDowell and Darren Clarke have both spoken of their renewed optimism that a European Tour event could be staged in Northern Ireland.

US Open champion and Ryder Cup hero McDowell says that the European Tour is keen for the Irish Open to be staged in Northern Ireland.

"A lot of players want it to happen too," McDowell told BBC Sport.

Clarke added that he would put his "full weight behind" the attempts to stage a tour event in Northern Ireland.

The third year of 3's sponsorship of the Irish Open will take place next July at Killarney but McDowell is hopeful that the Emerald Isle event could be played in Northern Ireland in 2012.

"All I would say is 'watch this space'. There's an opportunity for someone (a sponsor) to get involved," added McDowell.

"I'll certainly be on board and guys like Rory McIlroy and Darren Clarke will be on board. We're up for it.

"Golf is a 32-county sport in Ireland and it's important that both north and south shares the big events.

"Also we have so much talent up in the north, it wouldn't be fair not to have a European Tour event.

Links is the purest form of golf and Portrush is the best links course in the world

McDowell believes his own Portrush club would be the ideal location if the European Tour was to journey to Northern Ireland.

"It would be amazing and it's always been a dream of mine to play a big event at Portrush."

Clarke also believes that Harry Colt's Portrush masterpiece would be the "perfect" location to stage a major European Tour event.

"It's got everything. Links is the purest form of golf and this is the best links course in the world," said Clarke, as he stood next to the 18th green at the Dunluce links.

"It presents so many difficult challenges. The new tees that have been put in as well make the course much more of a modern-day challenge.

"Of course getting an event will be a lot of hard work with the current economic climate and the sponsorship required.

"You're looking at 4 million Euro by the time you look at prize money and the hosting fee but we have an amazing product here."

Clarke's manager Andrew Chandler last year made efforts to bring the British Masters to the Lough Erne Resort in County Fermanagh but he was unable to secure the necessary financial backing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:15:22 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »
If everyone wants to play at Portrush so bad, then why again do they have to find four million pounds in sponsorship money?

Jim Eder

« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2010, 05:07:59 PM »
It is too bad that professional golf is more about money now than about testing the players on the best courses possible. And I love the European Tour. It would be wonderful to see Portrush and County Down as future Irish Open sites.

On the Kingsbarns question the authors of the book "True Links" do call Kingsbarns a links despite it being (as they acknowledge) man-made. They did add some sand but the ground was sandy.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »
Portrush the best links course in the world? I don't know about that claim.
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Simon Holt

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »
Portrush is very, very good Grinder.  Not best in the World.

Heard from very reliable source that Castle Stuart is right in the hunt for the SO.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

SL_Solow

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2010, 05:11:52 PM »
Not sure that I could pick the "best" and I certainly haven't played them all but Portrush is definitely in the conversation.  As for Western Gailes, does it have the infrastructure and space for spectators?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2010, 05:33:55 PM »
Portrush is very, very good Grinder.  Not best in the World.

Heard from very reliable source that Castle Stuart is right in the hunt for the SO.

I suppose Inverness does at least have an Airport for all the G5s.
It's a helluva drive up the A9 for the Central Belt spectators though...

a confussed FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Simon Holt

« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »
I hear nothing but great reports about the place and from the look of their website the views they have will be great for the TV.

One of the partners, Grant Sword, was down at Renaissance earlier this summer of he was great company.  He gave me a pack with pictures and a DVD which were good.  I must get up to play soon.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »
I hear nothing but great reports about the place and from the look of their website the views they have will be great for the TV.

One of the partners, Grant Sword, was down at Renaissance earlier this summer of he was great company.  He gave me a pack with pictures and a DVD which were good.  I must get up to play soon.

Pick me up on the way past?? ;)
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Simon Holt

« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Delighted to.  We should get that game soon!  Lets get that Gailes 4 together that I couldnt make.  PM or email me and we can get something sorted in east lothian...perhaps somewhere you havent played before ;)

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2010, 06:01:53 PM »
Castle Stuart would make a fantastic venue and has plenty of room on fields nearby for extra parking and tent village etc.

However I’m not sure if I’d want herds of visitors trampling over the exquisite bare sand and marram grass areas if I was Mark Parsinen – there could also be some circulation difficulties between the upper terraces and the  holes along the sea front,  but nothing they couldn’t overcome.

If you haven’t played Castle Stuart yet you are missing out – it’s one of those courses one has to play at least once a year  - for the rest of your life.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2010, 06:07:33 PM »
I suppose Inverness does at least have an Airport for all the G5s.
It's a helluva drive up the A9 for the Central Belt spectators though...

I think its been apparent for quite some time, when it comes to holding a golf tournament, consideration for spectators comes last in their thoughts .

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2010, 06:17:47 PM »

Simon I picked up a couple of those packs in the Dunvegan this September, clever viral marketing.

I intended to give them to my GCA partners that day but was having so much fun I forgot. If anyone wants one PM me and if I can still find one its yours. First email, first served.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2010, 07:51:34 AM »
Castle Stuart would make a fantastic venue and has plenty of room on fields nearby for extra parking and tent village etc.

However I’m not sure if I’d want herds of visitors trampling over the exquisite bare sand and marram grass areas if I was Mark Parsinen – there could also be some circulation difficulties between the upper terraces and the  holes along the sea front,  but nothing they couldn’t overcome.

If you haven’t played Castle Stuart yet you are missing out – it’s one of those courses one has to play at least once a year  - for the rest of your life.

I think Catle Stuart is fantastic and I'd happily play it once a year for the rest of my life...but not at £150 a go!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2010, 09:41:07 AM »
Well , it’s all a matter of perspective and priorities I suppose.

These are the high flyers  one can get on as a green fee player.
Renaissance, Archersfields, Loch Lomond,  Royal Troon, and many others are only playable in the company of a member.

To visit the Old Course is £130
To visit the Castle Course is £125
To visit Kingsbarnes is £165
To visit Carnoustie is £130
To visit Prestwick is £125
To visit Muirfield is £185
To visit Turnberry is £175

Nearby alternatives which will still give you a great game of golf but another GCA experience are:-
To visit Nairn is £85
To visit Royal Dornoch is £85

All of these are pretty special experiences and a lot of people are of the same opinion – think “bums on seats” microeconomics.
If you book into a 4star Hotel for a night it’ll cost a similar amount.
If you want to go and see Eric Clapton in Concert it’ll cost you a similar amount.
Even Jaka could find some more expensive pastimes

I think an avid GCA’er would save his pennies for the opportunity and perhaps forego 5 visits to his local pay and play for an opportunity.

It’s not just another game of golf, but a very special golf course architectural experience.

The variety of visual texture and strategy that Mark Parsinen and Gil Hanse have envisioned and realised, together with the outstanding green keeping touch of Chris Haspell, one of the  “gingerbread men”,  who was also responsible for a large part off the construction, is an exhibition of golf course architecture like I’ve never seen before.

Alone the maintenance of the fairways as “fast and firm” with the straw coloured fescue makes my GCA heart melt.

I could go on and on but I’ll save that for another time, meanwhile digital photos speak louder than words – here’s a few I took while visiting and playing with Jon Wiggett about 6 weeks ago in the blissful highland late summer.

Having said all that there are ways of getting cheaper deals on all of these courses, wether it’s twilight rates, winter rates, knowing members, have a local address, using a local hotel etc.
That’s up to each individual to cut the cloth to suit his style.

Jim Eder

« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2010, 09:52:32 AM »
John,

GREAT photos, wonderful wonderful place!!

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2010, 10:19:53 AM »
Why thanks Jim,

and just for you a very special photo of Jon Wiggett reading his line to the pin with a putter from 85 yards out - which he got to within 12 feet!!!!
And before anyone asks - he didn't use the cheater line!!!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2010, 11:51:31 AM »
John C-S,

Thanks for the Castle Stuart pics. My enthusiasm for the course is well known here and I played there just 5 weeks ago.

Two things need to be mentioned when discussing the cost of playing there:

1) Residents of the Highlands and members of the Scottish Golf Union do have daily access to the course at green fee rates that are substantially less than 150 pounds. 
2) Those paying the full rate of 150 pounds do get unlimited range balls, use of a trolley and a nice goody bag (with an excellent course guide) included with their green fee. Granted, these perks are relatively small potatoes, but it is nice to know you don't have to shell out another 5 or 10 pounds for those extras.

DT   

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »
Hi John,

what a great day that was and CS more than lived up to its billing.

David,

for a moment I thought you were going to say that I cannot hit my driver 85 yards let alone my putter ;D

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »
John

I noticed in quite a few of your pics that they were taken from off fairway/playing area which funnily enough is where I normally play from  ;D, however at Castle Stuart the fairways are soooooooo wide its hard to miss them. Take a picture from the tee or middle of the fairway, hell any part of the fairway really and the view won't have all the nice sandy waste areas, fescue etc which makes your photos so visually appealing. My point being if you see by the eye-candy element and look at the bones of the course I don't think its really that exceptional (especially tee to green) and not the great course as is DT's view.

However don't want to be acting as a counterpoint to DT's enthusiastic support of CS once again. What moved me to comment on CS was to comment on its condition in light of Chris Haspell being a GCA member and to say that its one of the best conditioned course I've ever played and that in itself makes it a pleasure to play. I would be interested to get Chris's take on the grass at CS, is it pure fescue ? And how does that compare to other links. The reason I ask that question was that I got the impression, as did my playing partners, that there wasn't quite as much borrow in putts as we thought. Is that down to the grass type or mowing height ? I'd appreciate Chris's thoughts.

The other thing that interests me about the Scottish Open going to CS is how they would alter the set up ? Would they leave it as open as it is ? Would they be tempted or mandated to bring in the rough or plant a few new bunkers, and if so would Mark P be willing to do that ? More than anything I would love to know what a bunch of euro tour players would do to it in its present set up.

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »
David,

I knew about the residents' rate but not the SGU member rate.  I knew there'd be advantages to the Crail membership!

John,

#185 at Muirfield gets you 36 holes and lunch, I think.  For #40 I can play Silloth on Solway and I don't have to get to Inverness.  In fact, by the time you factor in travel and accomodation a round at CS would cost me the annual sub at Crail or Silloth.  I'd love to play there once (and no doubt will) but every year?  Too many courses to see, I'm afraid.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
I knew about the residents' rate but not the SGU member rate.  I knew there'd be advantages to the Crail membership!

David, maybe you will prove me wrong, but unlike many other courses in Scotland, I have never heard of a SGU rate for Castle Stuart, only a local resident and Scottish resident rates.

http://www.castlestuartgolf.com/scottish-resident-fee.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back