News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Scottish Open heads to the links
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:57:30 AM »
Daily Record reporting the new owners of Loch Lomond don't want the Scottish Open any more and it's going to be held on a links course to try and attract the best field.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/2010/10/19/scottish-open-to-leave-loch-lomond-and-head-to-links-course-in-bid-to-attract-a-list-stars-86908-22644453/
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jim Eder

Re: Scottish Open heads to the links
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 11:08:45 AM »
Wonderful. Will be interesting to see what course they choose. Could it be an Open rota course? Kingsbarns given the Dunhill? Is Castle Stuart too remote for them? Aberdeen? Or is it too remote. Anyone have an idea?

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 11:53:37 AM »
Wonderful. Will be interesting to see what course they choose. Could it be an Open rota course? Kingsbarns given the Dunhill? Is Castle Stuart too remote for them? Aberdeen? Or is it too remote. Anyone have an idea?

Jim
Unfortunately it will come down to money, and I cant see any of your three fitting the bill.

Back to Carnoustie would be my guess.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:56:30 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Jim Eder

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:14:28 PM »
Brian,

The more I think about it the fewer ideas I can come up with. It wouldn't be Muirfield or North Berwick, nor Troon, nor up in the Inverness area or Aberdeen area (because of the money issue you bring up). It would be great to see Royal Dornoch. Would be interesting to see Crail as well or Royal Aberdeen. I love Carnoustie so I would love that selection (your guess seems probable). I take it you are not a fan of Carnoustie. May I ask why? Thanks Brian.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:50:12 PM »
Jim
Its just struck me where it will go .......

"Great Dunes of Scotland"

You think I am joking ?

Jim Eder

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 01:23:55 PM »
Brilliant call.  I don't think you are joking. Seems very logical. Trump and Barclays.............................. makes sense. I am ignorant about the course sadly.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 02:24:31 PM »
It won't be Trump next year, cause the course won't be open.

Carnoustie is a good call. But I wouldn't rule out Troon, or Turnberry given its ownership.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 02:32:27 PM »
I suspect that the R&A might put pressue on any of the Open rota courses to NOT take the Scottish Open as it might dilute the uniqueness of the Open. I've told the story before how Carnoustie got the Open back in 1999 by being on the verge of signing up for the Scottish Open for a 5 year stint to be promised by the R&A that they would get the Open if they didn't sign up for the Scottish.

With that in mind, it might not be a bad idea for Trump to go for it.

Niall

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 02:43:44 PM »
I could see a rota more of Royal Aberdeen, Dundonald, Kingsbarns, Renaisance, Trumpton. I think Niall is right. Turnberry got the finger wagged about two years ago when there was a rumour of the European Open going there.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »
Its funny, but being Scottish, I am not so hung up on the Scottish Open being held on a links as the majority of you Guys.

Personally, I would love to see it return to the Kings Course.

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »
Brian,

Agreed, and judging by the comments from a lot of the pro's they would as well.

Niall

Jim Eder

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 02:52:58 PM »
I like Adrian's idea of a rota.  Would they do that though? Their history is one of a fixed site, no?

A return to the Kings would be wonderful but if the reporting is accurate not going to happen.

Very interesting colour on Carnoustie, Turnberry etc.

Would Troon really go for a yearly event?

I would agree that the R&A would probably be opposed to one of their courses being used.

The "follow the money" idea leads me to Trump (I think the idea is a 2013 switch?).

Will be very interesting, great tournament though, always one of my favs.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 02:59:42 PM »
Is it not about right now, a numptie shouts out "Cruden Bay" ?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 03:45:16 PM »
Dundonald, West Gailles, Kilmarnock Brassie??
Cave Nil Vino

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 04:17:58 PM »
I think if this tournament went permantly to links it would encourage a much better field of international players looking to practice/ play on ahead of the main Open, better players means more sponsorship. It would please a lot on here if the Scottish Open or indeed English Open (for when it is in England) were rota'ed around the second tier of links courses.... Dundonald or Prestwick when at Troon or Turnberry, Kingsbarns or Fairmount when at TOC, Royal Aberdeen when at Carnoustie, Archerfield or Renaissance when at Muirfield. Formby, Hillside, Hesketh, Deal, Princes might all get turns whilst, Saunton, Burnham, Porthcawl might get some action. I think those courses could hold a more traditional tour event. Plenty of options.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 04:32:04 PM »
The Scottish Open already has a very good field so I can't see a change of venue improving the level of players who will play it.  If anything they want to ensure the new venue encourages those how already come to maintain coming.  It is the week before a major so chances are whatever venue you play it on that will rule out Tiger (no doubt the ultimate dream for the organiser), and some other top guys.

Do the pro's really want to play on links courses anyway?

Carl Johnson

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 04:45:14 PM »
The Scottish Open already has a very good field so I can't see a change of venue improving the level of players who will play it.  If anything they want to ensure the new venue encourages those how already come to maintain coming.  It is the week before a major so chances are whatever venue you play it on that will rule out Tiger (no doubt the ultimate dream for the organiser), and some other top guys.

Ross, At least one answer to your question is found in the article linked to in the first post.  Here's a quote from the article:

"But switching the event may not suit everyone. Swede Johan Edfors, winner at Loch Lomond in 2006, said: 'To play two links courses in succession just might too much for some players.  The Open is a hard enough week as it is, given the tough conditions you're likely get.'"

I agree.  Many professionals simply aren't good enough to play links courses two weeks in a row.  Although links courses are not a problem for the average recreational player, the professional tour golfer is a very delicate creature and the challenges of links courses two weeks in a row could destroy many of them.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 04:47:38 PM by Carl Johnson »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 04:48:48 PM »
The Scottish Open already has a very good field so I can't see a change of venue improving the level of players who will play it.  If anything they want to ensure the new venue encourages those how already come to maintain coming.  It is the week before a major so chances are whatever venue you play it on that will rule out Tiger (no doubt the ultimate dream for the organiser), and some other top guys.

Yes, the week before the Open. The Scottish Open DOES NOT HAVE A GREAT FIELD if you consider the Open field, maybe 80 players dont play both and Tiger and a few others go and practice on links courses particularly for the Open itself. I think you might get them if the courses were good enough, they probably feel playing LL the week before is just not the right set up. Phil Mickleson is the ony top American that has really supported the event and thats because of his Barclay tie.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »
It would please a lot on here if the Scottish Open or indeed English Open (for when it is in England) were rota'ed around the second tier of links courses.... Dundonald or Prestwick when at Troon or Turnberry, Kingsbarns or Fairmount when at TOC, Royal Aberdeen when at Carnoustie, Archerfield or Renaissance when at Muirfield. Formby, Hillside, Hesketh, Deal, Princes might all get turns whilst, Saunton, Burnham, Porthcawl might get some action. I think those courses could hold a more traditional tour event. Plenty of options.

Well it wouldnt please me ...... the Scottish Open should be held in ...... Scotland !

Jim Eder

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 04:56:55 PM »
I was amazed at Edfors comment. I would think it would be a great way to get ready for the Open.  A few off the guys play links golf (non competitive) before the Open including (at least in the past) Tiger (with O'Meara). My guess is they are doing it for a better field (if you think better is more Americans) but it should be done because the links are much better courses. Nothing against Loch Lomond (which is beautiful) but there are much finer courses in Scotland to be played upon.

Simon Holt

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 04:58:37 PM »
Go the whole way and make it a WGC event.

The top players would come then.  I think there needs to be a WGC event in Europe...when I say need its from a 'share the wealth' for the spectators point of view.  It is frustrating that like the majors the WGC events are mainly in the US.  I understand why but lets break the mould...please??!!

If so would it be the strongest field ever to grace Scotland?  Post war?

I like the rotation concept and it is one I have suggested myself for years.  I know certain members who would not want it at their course every year...sounds like the members at LLGC feel that way too.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 05:02:29 PM »
..... sounds like the members at LLGC feel that way too.
Probably the first time they will have a say in the matter.

I think we may see their doors open to all and sundry soon as well .

Simon Holt

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 05:06:53 PM »
I hope not.   Purely for the members sake.

The place is very special I would like to see it stay as it is.  There may not be much sympathy for people with the money to join a club like LLGC, but they have has a rough time of it and I wish the club all the best for the future.

2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 05:12:35 PM »
I hope not.   Purely for the members sake.

The place is very special I would like to see it stay as it is.  There may not be much sympathy for people with the money to join a club like LLGC, but they have has a rough time of it and I wish the club all the best for the future.

Maybe if they had opened their doors to the likes of myself, then they would not had such "a rough time of it" .

Honestly ........ my heart bleeds  ::)

Simon Holt

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 05:16:45 PM »
If they had opened their doors to us then the conditioning would have been even more problematic and it would have had no where near the reputation it has.  I didn't expect sympathy for them but at least understanding of product.

Do you think Augusta would be as good as we are all led to believe if its doors were open to one and all??  Probably a separate thread but not one I desperately want to get into.

Back to the Scottish Open- I think a links style course the week before would give a much more hotly contested Open the week after.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back