News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gib_Papazian

Re: Sticky threads & the tenor of the Discussion Group
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »
Here comes the silver bullet, headed straight for the Armenian.

Ran is obviously greasing up the rope, trading me for JakaBarny and a future draft choice.

I'm not sure I can behave well enough to stay in good stead within these hopelessly elevated new standards.

The only hope is for me to avoid the trap door is stay off threads on politics, college football or factory firm architecture.   

Maybe the punishment for stepping out of line ought to be writing on the blackboard 100 times, like in grammar school.

"I will not make snide remarks about Rees Jones."

George Pazin

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2010, 03:52:38 PM »
Ran is obviously greasing up the rope, trading me for JakaBarny and a future draft choice.

More likely Ran is trading some unknown and unused poster for Jaka B.

I'd encourage everyone to take a look at the full list of posters sometime. As much as many infrequent posters on here seem likely to get axed, there are literally hundreds of others who simply do not ever post or haven't posted in this decade.

Welcome back, Barney, I hope you share your love for Victoria National, Dismal River, and all things Raynor.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JC Jones

« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2010, 04:22:18 PM »

I'm not saying those particular architects haven't earned it, I'm just saying Sugarloaf Mountain is not very good regardless of who the architects were (I happen to really like Hidden Creek, by the way).

Sugarloaf has 17 good holes.  No spectacular holes and only one bad hole (the 18th).  WPB had 18 good holes, no weak holes and a couple great holes.  To me, Belvedere has 3 weak holes (though 1 of them could be great if restored to its original form), 6 great holes and 9 good holes.  Belvedere is more fun than WPB which is more fun that Sugarloaf.

Keep in mind though, these are all really good courses and I'd give them all a 6.5-7 on the Doak scale.

Other than the move to Carolina, what happened at Sugarloaf ?

The two quotes above are not inconsistent.  I said it had 17 good holes, not great holes.  In fact I said it had NO SPECTACULAR holes and I rated it behind Belvedere and WPB.  In my quote today I said it was not very good.  Meaning, it is good but not very good.

I will acknowledge, however, that upon a repeat play at Sugarloaf AND doing what Mr Doak is telling me to do (go out and see great golf courses to determine what is great), that Sugarloaf has gone down in my overall rankings.

In the meantime, why don't you shut your trap and play some golf, somewhere other than those Connecticut municipal dog tracks that you try to claim are better than Merion.

Dormie Club on November 7, Mikey?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

DMoriarty

« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »
Words to try and live by from the first page of Ran's website . . .

Welcome to golfClubAtlas.com.

GolfClubAtlas.com is presented to promote frank commentary on golf course architecture.

I am glad to hear that Barney is returning to the fray.  For me the low point of gca.com was the inexplicable deletion of his Haiku Tuesdays threads.

frank commentary
on golf course architecture
g.  c.   a.  dot  com

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 04:52:49 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2010, 05:02:26 PM »

Newest member John Kavanaugh.God I hope he doesn't take my place.He had me eat raw meat once and refused to allow Eric Smith to purchase a members only logo hat.Higher handicapers have more fun.Only 200 more to go,I'm sweating it out.

Anthony

DMoriarty

« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
Anthony,

I've golfed with John.  I've argued with John.  John is a friendly adversary of mine.   You are no . . . .   On second thought, let's just say there is only one John a.k.a. Barney.  He takes the place of none of us and all of us.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2010, 05:21:35 PM »

David

Words to try and live by from the first page of Ran's website . . .

Welcome to golfClubAtlas.com.

GolfClubAtlas.com is presented to promote frank commentary on golf course architecture.

Are you sure Frank is what Ran wants  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9USvi173GE  I am OK with more humour but are you certain that Ran wants Frank Spenser from Some Mothers Do Have Them circa the 1970’s. ;)

Melvyn

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2010, 06:54:57 PM »
Why on earth John Kavanaugh would ever want to come back here is a topic I'd like to see discussed.
Why this discussion group would ever want John Kavanaugh back here is a topic I'd like to see discussed.

This place continues to ceaselessly amaze. Sometimes even in a good way.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jeff Loh

« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2010, 07:29:39 PM »
Will we ever get a women's perspective on GCA?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2010, 07:39:15 PM »
Jeff,
the few chicks who've ever posted here soon realise the error of their ways and return quickly to their secret pursuit of global domination.
I believe their goal is now pretty close. Praise your Lord.

FBD.

Shit, I've started channeling Melvyn...
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2010, 09:19:05 PM »
I for one am glad to see Ran attempting to take a more active role in shaping/directing the future of this site.

1) I think a trusted moderator would be good for this site.
2) I also think the ability to lock down threads would be great for this site too.
3)  Additionally, a warning system would be perfect, because then people would have a feel for the boundaries a little more.

Just my two cents.

P.S.  A big thanks to Ran for keeping this site up and running.  Even though I don't check in as much as before due to work and other constraints, I greatly appreciate the massive amounts of input in the form of interesting thoughts and comments that are brought forth on this site.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2010, 11:33:26 PM »
Ran,
   Please see your PM. 

Cheers,
Brad

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2010, 01:39:49 AM »

I'm not sure I can behave well enough to stay in good stead within these hopelessly elevated new standards.

The only hope is for me to avoid the trap door is stay off threads on politics, college football or factory firm architecture.   

Maybe the punishment for stepping out of line ought to be writing on the blackboard 100 times, like in grammar school.

My dear Gib,

Pray tell, what is your animus re Rees all about?

He came to MPCC Dunes and took a very mundane Raynor/Hunter/Mackenzie course and made it better by far than in its original conception for less than thee million dollars. The Shore course, finished up costing close to fifteen million. I think we got a better deal with the Dunes than the Shore.

Bob

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »

My dear Gib,

He came to MPCC Dunes and took a very mundane Raynor/Hunter/Mackenzie course and made it better by far than in its original conception for less than thee million dollars. The Shore course, finished up costing close to fifteen million. I think we got a better deal with the Dunes than the Shore.

Bob

Bob

That is a strong statement!  "He came to MPCC Dunes and took a very mundane Raynor/Hunter/Mackenzie course and made it better by far than in its original conception for less than thee million dollars."  I haven't seen it, but wow!

Best,
Chip

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2010, 10:00:32 AM »
Oh yea, welcome back John Kavanaugh.  I brace for your return.  Until then we still have Twitter :-)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »

My dear Gib,

Bob

Chip,

Should you get out to the Peninsula, call me and I'll show you why I think this way.

Bob

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2010, 12:46:42 PM »
"You are trying to insure Pat wins all future matches with him due to his rustiness."

That's some really bad analysis, Pal. It's quite the opposite. I try to insure that Morrissett wins all future matches against Mucci and the last two times out I was on hand to hopefully help that that would be the case and it was!!   :-*

TEPaul,

You're a rules official aren't you ?  For the GAP and perhaps other organizations ?
You've been doing this for years haven't you ?

Why would you deliberately violate rule 8.1 and allow Ran to violate rule 8.1, repeatedly ? ;D   ;D   ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2010, 05:09:42 PM »
Penalty: loss of hole!

Matt Kardash

« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »
I have very much enjoyed my 10+ years frequenting this site, and look forward to continue doing so in the future. I have learned much since I first started reading these pages when I was about 17 years old! I don't post as often as most, but I am always lurking and adding my two cents when I deem appropriate.
Thanks Ran.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Kirk Gill

« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2010, 06:48:16 PM »
I've learned a lot from this site, certainly more than I've contributed. I do love it.

I'll definitely keep reading, whether I can post or not.

And I welcome back Mr. Kavanaugh. He stirs the pot, and there's nothing wrong with that, within reason.

I'm glad to be a member of GCA, and the few hiccups and issues that have come along seem, in contrast with the quality of conversations and people, to be........forgivable.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2010, 07:31:03 PM »
Jeff,
My wife is very much into GCA an reads most threads here.  And she busts on me for some of the goofy things I've written (I don't mind - everybody needs somebody to remind you that you don't walk on water)

Jeff Loh

« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
Dan
My wife reads it a lot too though she doesn't post. I was half serious with my comment but do feel that another "perspective" could invigorate/stimulate what goes on here. I know "they" are out there!

Phil McDade

« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2010, 10:45:25 AM »
I've casually noticed, in the past week, that the Discussion Board has seen somewhat regular posts from the likes of Lou Duran, Gib P., Huck, and a few others, plus the return of the inimitable John Kavanaugh.

Are we all good now? Did Ran's admonition work? Were concerns about the demise of the Discussion Board over-stated?

Are we in the Golden Age of GCA as a website/discussion board? ;D (I note more than a dozen very good threads on the front page currently with detailed photos and/or discussions of courses both well-known and -- better yet -- obscure.)

TEPaul

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2010, 10:58:12 AM »
"Why would you deliberately violate rule 8.1 and allow Ran to violate rule 8.1, repeatedly ?"

Patrick:

There was no 8-1 violation in either match between you and Ran Morrissett. Perhaps you did not realize it but I was technically operating as Ran Morrissett's caddy----his one and only caddy in both matches as Rule 8-1 provides for.

I should not, however, have been acting as a referee as I was when I occassionally called out to the assembled gallery the state of the match but that transgression does not inure to either player in the match. For that I only had to answer to the tournament committee of that particular event.

William_G

« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2010, 12:29:14 PM »
In an effort to contribute constructively, I wish I could post photos, but the functionality of the image loader escapes me or does not work.
I'm on windows. Help!  ???
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back