News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Nash

Re: BUDA IX 2011 - Suggestions for next years venue
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »
Bob - I would back up Scott's comments - Hankley is awesome and probably my favourite course - glad to see it has been geting more praise over the past few months as I remember a few negative comments in past posts - I can't see how anyone could fail to be impressed - I doubt that there are too many courses in the world with a better site. Hopefully I will be able to attend but won't know for a while.

Another course only about 5 miles up the road worth seeing is Hindhead

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2010, 10:16:21 PM »
I am interested in participating next year.  However without much knowledge of either place, I have no preference or preference for dates.  I am sure someone working with Craig Disher would not pick unsatisfactory place(s).
Looking forward to booking and paying, and maybe a couple of days play around the event at other venues.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
Lynn, you would be a great addition to the American side, which needs a lot of help!

I think I have played in 4 of 7 Buda Cups to date, and all the venues have been first rate.  I'm sure 2011 will be no less.  Thanks for the work you fellows are doing!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
If I had a vote (which I shouldn't) then it would be Silloth in September...

Andy Levett

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2010, 03:13:23 PM »
Any further consideration about chartering a boat over to  Southerness?

Cheers,

James

(Southerness is a quality Scottish links around four miles from Silloth by boat but more like two hours by road).
I asked my wife about this, as she works for the RNLI and knows the lifeboatmen at Silloth, who have boats of their own and know others who do. Not practical near low tide, which rules out a 36-hole day on the Sep 16-18 weekend but would not be an issue for the other two weekends.
Other potential drawbacks include the number of boats/trips needed for 24 golfers and their clubs, where to land at Southerness and how to then get to the course, and the possibility of bad weather scuppering the trip or leaving us stuck at Southerness.
So not too hopeful, but that's just her opinion and perhaps some of the crew may be more positive. If Silloth does get the nod further enquiries could be made.

My vote is for Silloth in 2011 and Liphook/Hankley in 2012, purely because weekdays may be tricky next year. But hopefully I'll make it whatever.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2010, 03:42:57 PM »
Eric,

If (or when because BUDA is going there one year) BUDA is at Silloth then that route is great but you should stop at Southerness.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2010, 05:47:23 AM »
I vote Silloth in September.

The prospect of flying into Glasgow looks promising with Newark to Glasgow in just under 7 hours.

Maybe see (B)Troon, (C)Prestwick and (D)Turnberry before meeting up at (E)Silloth.  Anyone familiar with the drive from D to E?

Whichever place BUDA goes, I will be there if it is in September.

Thanks for doing all the hard work guys!

Eric

I can't recall exactly what the drive time is from Turnberry to a proper road, but a bit more than two hours sounds about right.  I am guessing 3.5 hours from Turnberry to Silloth, more or less.  If you are considering playing Southerness it is best to hit it on the way to Silloth from Turnberry (or vice versa) becuse its much easier to get back to Glasgow sticking to the main road.  One can always leave Prestwick or Wetsern Gailes as the last game before flying.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2010, 07:22:26 AM »

Sean

Not far but south of Carlisle is Windermere Golf Club (http://www.windermeregolfclub.co.uk/ ), a very sporty course that has been known to test one or two players in its time. If driving past must be worth a quick game

For a photo look at the course, the club links is http://www.windermeregolfclub.co.uk/image/tid/11 or with the new video guide a hole by hole view check it out at  http://www.videogolfguides.com/windermere/

The week day’s Green Fees are £35 per round £50 Day Ticket

Do not forget to ring the bell, nor do I think the course will disappoint

Melvyn

Martin Toal

« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2010, 10:17:32 AM »
I was a member at Silloth for about 5 years, and would strongly endorse it as a great venue. As far as accommodation is concerned, you could stay in Carlisle and that would shorten the trip to Southerness, which is about 50 miles round the corner into Scotland. Southerness is not too far from Stranraer, where the ferry to Belfast goes (2 hours each way), so for the adventurous visitor, there is a mega trip possible which includes Silloth, Southerness, RCD, Co. Louth, Portmarnock, Nefyn & District, Royal St Davids, Royal Liverpool, a few more Open Championship venues and a whole lot more golf courses en route.

Would take about a fortnight, but would cover 5 countries and 2 sea crossings (Stranraer-Belfast and Dublin or Dun Laoghaire-Holyhead).

in the Cumbria area, James Braid originally designed a few of the courses, including Brampton, near Carlisle,
http://www.bramptongolfclub.com/Course.html
and Workington, near Silloth,
http://www.workingtongolfclub.com

and if you have always wanted to play golf near a nuclear power plant, Seascale is a decent unpretentious links: http://www.settlegolfcourse.org/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:19:24 AM by Martin Toal »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2010, 03:47:24 PM »
Very intriguing idea! This is how it could work for one person with a car:

Day 1: Holyhead - Dun Laoghaire (2h crossing on hi-speed ferry, €119), arrive at noon, play Portmarnock in the afternoon.
Day 2: Drive up to Newcastle (2h), play Royal County Down, drive up to Portrush (2h).
Day 3: Play Royal Portrush, drive down to Belfast (1.5h), take ferry to Stranraer (€89), arrive 7:30 PM.
Day 4: Drive down to Southerness (2h), play Southerness, drive to Silloth (2h), play BUDA.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Eric Smith

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2010, 12:00:48 PM »

We want to commit on Monday, if at all possible so can any other BUDAites (or likely BUDAites for next year) let us have their prferences ASAP.

Bump

Mark Pearce

« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
Thanks, Eric.

I think Craig and I have reached an agreement as to BUDA IX, we just need to confirm with one of the clubs that they will be available in 2012 if not selected in 2011!  Announcement tomorrow.

In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back