News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Chapin

Hickory Stick rentals
« on: October 21, 2010, 04:32:26 PM »
Does anyone know where I can rent hickory sticks?  Our club is considering a hickory stick event for next year.....  we would need to be able to rent enough for probably 50 people.

Steve D

Re: Hickory Stick rentals
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 04:36:19 PM »

Rob Bice

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 04:45:31 PM »
love that the first interview in the video is a guy sitting in a golf cart with the hickories in back.  i'm no cart hater but just doesn't seem right.
"medio tutissimus ibis" - Ovid

Powell Arms

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »
Enjoy!  We did a hickory event (with equip from playhickory.com) to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the US Open at Philadelphia Cricket.  It went so well we purchased sets for everyday use.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:29:26 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Mike Policano

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 08:02:30 AM »
Brian, great to meet you this weekend.  Send me an email with your phone number to discuss your hickory outing.

Cheers, Mike

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:03:25 AM »

Do the shafts break easily?

Anthony

DMoriarty

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:09:59 AM »
Brian,

I second Mr. Arms' recommendation to contact playhickory.com.   I haven't rented clubs from them but when I first put together a set about five or six years ago, I contacted Chris McIntyre (proprietor) and he was extremely helpful and quite reasonable.   A real gentleman.

Rob Bice,

I agree it doesn't seem right. But then hickory players probably feel the same way about us when we regale the glories of golden age golf courses while wielding a TaylorMade R9 SuperTri (8.5°) with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki 70 Alpha shaft.    It just doesn't seem right.

Anthony Gray,

Do the shafts break easily?    It depends upon how you use them.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »

Anthony

In answer to your question check out this article (think it’s the 9th column down) http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jul/18/young-tom-morris-open-golf

So yes Hickory clubs can be broken, easily, No

Melvyn

Rob Bice

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 10:42:20 AM »
DMoriarty - agreed!  How great would it be for some of these golden age golf courses to offer hickory club rentals with period appropriate golf balls?
"medio tutissimus ibis" - Ovid

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 10:51:43 AM »

Anthony

In answer to your question check out this article (think it’s the 9th column down) http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jul/18/young-tom-morris-open-golf

So yes Hickory clubs can be broken, easily, No

Melvyn

I have some but I'm afraid to use them other than the putter.I have a Tom Morris framed in my office,but I don't think its the original shaft.My favorite is the rut iron,I could use it to serve ice cream.It speaks loudly about playing the ball down.

Anthony

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 11:04:54 AM »
David

"we regale the glories of golden age golf courses while wielding a TaylorMade R9 SuperTri (8.5°) with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki 70 Alpha shaft.    It just doesn't seem right".

You cheating again, what some do to lower their score, where is yourself respect Man ;)  But then is that not the reason why we should stop tinkering with our late great past courses and play them the way were designed - where is the fun in hitting a ball so far that is misses most of the course landing in front of the Hole on say a Par 4, in fact why design a course , just Greens.

Expect you have tried to remove the dimples in the face of the ball, or not quite gone that far yet in reducing you score ;D

Be good

Melvyn

Anthony

I was told in my younger days that repaired Hickory clubs were stronger that new ones and that many professional deliberately broke their clubs for this reason. Can’t remember who told me that my father or grandfather, perhaps another family friend.

Melvyn

DMoriarty

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »
DMoriarty - agreed!  How great would it be for some of these golden age golf courses to offer hickory club rentals with period appropriate golf balls?

Rob,  I've played a handful of truly great American courses with hickories, including a few of my very favorites. Despite the best efforts of some to mock me for having done so, I am sure glad I did.   

Many years ago, when Ran used to post, he suggested that playing these old courses with the appropriate era clubs was the best (only?) way to really understand the architecture.  I am not sure I'd go that far but seeing the course from the perspective of a hickory player certainly doesn't hurt one's understanding.   I like to joke that had I not played Merion with hickories, I'd have never noticed that Merion East was a CBM course at its bones, but unfortunately most don't see the humor in that.

Regardless, it sure is fun to play these old courses with equipment for which the course was designed.  I highly recommend it to anyone not afraid of a little ribbing, good natured or otherwise. 

Melvyn,  I am not sure I understand your post, or that you understood mine.   I don't wield "a TaylorMade R9 SuperTri (8.5°) with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki 70 Alpha shaft."   I didn't pull that description from my bag, but  from some internet "what's in the bag" description of a Ryder Cup player.  I do play with relatively modern equipment some of the time, and I play with older equipment some of the time as well.   

And I don't play modern equipment to improve my score.   I largely play it (when I do) so my matches against those who only play modern equipment are more enjoyable for all.  I don't like a match where the players have to play different tees, and I think my opponents more enjoy pummeling me when I don't have the excuse of old equipment to fall back on.   

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." 
  -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 05:37:30 PM »

David

It was just a joke.

Melvyn

DMoriarty

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 05:50:12 PM »
Yeah I picked up on that but I guess I just didn't get it.   No worries though, I can be a bit dense about these things.

Do you ever play using modern equipment?   

How do you decide what era of equipment to play? 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 06:01:42 PM »

Depends upon how much I want to cheat myself  >:( >:(.

My clubs are all pre 2000. As for the modern clubs I do not care how far they send the ball they sound terrible and look awful, In fact I would not want to be seen dead on a golf course with that modern junk - I have far more self-respect and anyway when Tee of I want to heat the sweet note not that tinny rattle. They may be good clubs guys but you have lost your course credibility by (a) being see using then and (b) and have them in your hand in front of cameras. They I believe the modern word is SUCK, but then some golfers are willing to sell their soul for an extra inch. :'(

Man you have to have respect and some cred on a course otherwise just who are you. 8)

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back