News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Fishers Island Club - a day in the life
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:55:35 PM »
An absolutely magical day. Thank you to all who made it possible.

7am... Boarding the ferry in New London as daylight breaks behind looming cloud

Looking back to the mainland

7.45am... first glimpse of Fishers Island.

8am... A lot of local kids take the 45min ferry to the island from New London because the school there is better.

8.15am... First glimpse of the club... heart beating fast.

The practice green has an alright view.

The bunkers have some bite to them.

Hard to play decent golf with your breath being taken away every five minutes!

9.10am... My heart hit 220bpm, then stopped for 30 seconds!

Looking back up #4. I may have made a 6 and an X, but I did find 14 balls down the cliff in the process!

The Biarritz.

David Kelly launches one towards the 6th green.

10am... The magnificent Double Plateau green at the 9th.

Donnie Beck, Superintendent extraordinare. Wearing shorts on a day in the 40s farenheit, blowing a gale! Never has it been more right for the super to get a mention on the scorecard. The conditioning is perfect and the greens were remarkably fast, firm and true for the time of year and recent weather.

Approach to #10. Some crazy putts up there when winds hit 35 or 40 knots in the afternoon!

The Eden is absolute golf heaven.

11.30am... In my next life I want to own this house next to 16 and 17.

A side view of the Redan 2nd with some well-travelled fella teeing off in the foreground.

The 9th green in the afternoon as the wind started to really whip up.

3.30pm... Shot of the day was Mark Arata's iron out of a puddle on a path. Even if he did move a stone to avoid damaging his new club!

5.15pm... It takes a lot of wind to make a timber flagstick do this!

The Short 16th as sunlight begins to fade.

6pm... The walk up the home hole and the realisation it's almost over has never been more unwelcome than after 35 wonderful holes at Fishers Island with three great blokes. The only fourball on the course, no less!

7.15pm... After finding a community centre open from which to buy some chips and a drink (late evening in October on Fishers Island is a quiet time, apparently) it was time to head back to reality.

7.45pm... High winds = rough seas. Mayhugh and Arata try to laugh it off as the teenage girls next to us ran to the back of the boat to spew, and a heartier soul across the ferry sat reading a book to everyone's disbelief. The hang time from cresting some waves to crashing down had to be two seconds!

8.30pm... Back on the mainland, straight in the car and off into the 2.5hr drive to Boston (it's only 90mins if you don't have to stop twice for fuel and food, before getting lost three times entering Boston half-asleep behind the wheel on an unfamiliar side of the road) to reintroduce myself to the bride!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:37:57 PM by Scott Warren »

ChipOat

Re: Fishers Island Club - a day in the life
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:04:53 AM »
Scott,

Two new Raynor threads (Yale and, now your Fishers Island) started back-to-back within minutes of each other on GCA.

Excellent pictures; there's several other threads with good pix, too, from about a year ago.  Maybe someone can post the links.

Yale was a wonderful surprise to me.  Fishers Island is beyond wonderful.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
That is the hardest Biarritz I have ever played.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 12:15:03 AM »
Chipoat, indeed

Jim Thornton: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41907.0/

and

Kevin Pallier: http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42687.msg917012/#msg917012

have posted some great pics. Both got better weather than I!

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:19:26 AM »
Looks like a fun time!

These threads make me glad I drafted Fishers and Yale last year. Hope I get to play em someday!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 03:47:26 AM »
Got lost 3 times? The little box on the dash should help!
Cave Nil Vino

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 04:24:10 AM »
Scott

Never mind the weather - surely none worse than you have experienced at Deal ? Glad to see Mr Mayhugh back at a favourite as well ;D

BTW - nice to see the double plateau pinned at the front and I think DK's shot is into the 6th (Olinda) is it not ?

Where are you getting the golf clubs out next ?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 04:27:48 AM »
Scott, excellent pictures.  You have a gift for the captions. 

Just one question.  35 holes??

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 07:38:06 AM »
Chappers: When you're falling asleep, it's easy to miss turns!

KP: You're right, that's the 6th DK is on. As chance would have it, I was there a year to the day after you! Next game is Riv late next week.

Jim: 35 holes with one to go. We played all 18 twice.

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 07:57:56 AM »
T time coming up. Thanks for the intro! I can't wait now.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 07:59:21 AM »

Scott,

Love threads with pics,Well done.

Anthony

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 08:20:47 AM »
Heading to New London shortly for an 11:30 ferry. Can`t wait to get out there. Last year at this time we played in monsoon conditions and it was still awesome. The weather today is spectacular with winds at 10-20 mph. Scott-thanks for the great pictures. 

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 08:46:32 AM »
You guys know the real Fishers Island is in Florida, right?   ;D  Great Pix, brings back good memories.  No place quite like it....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 10:09:49 AM »
Probably my all time favorite course. Just a special place.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 10:27:46 AM »

7.45pm... High winds = rough seas. Mayhugh and Arata try to laugh it off as the teenage girls next to us ran to the back of the boat to spew, and a heartier soul across the ferry sat reading a book to everyone's disbelief. The hang time from cresting some waves to crashing down had to be two seconds!

SOMEONE NEEDS TO SAY IT - MAYHUGH SIGHTING!

8.30pm... Back on the mainland, straight in the car and off into the 2.5hr drive to Boston (it's only 90mins if you don't have to stop twice for fuel and food, before getting lost three times entering Boston half-asleep behind the wheel on an unfamiliar side of the road) to reintroduce myself to the bride!

Scott,

We have not met but you are doing something right. Clearly your wife and mine did not come from the same neighborhood!!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 01:58:07 PM »
Unbelievable.  I've lived in the States my whole life, with Fishers on my top five "to play" list, and Mick Dundee gets to play it during his week in the States.  It looks like an awesome day there, Scott.  Two questions:

Is Seth Raynor the most underrated architect in GCA history?

How was the frosty at Wendy's?
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 05:32:25 PM »
Mike S: "The guy obscuring the 2nd green" is also "Hank" Mayhugh! I am absolutely aware I am the luckiest bloke in the world when it comes to Kerry's acceptance of golf. PV took me away from 5.30am-7.30pm and Fishers was 6am-10.40pm, but she seemed happy enough to while away each day.

John: By the time I spoke to you the other night and you recommended the frosty from Wendy's I was already exiting without one. But I will grab one next time I get Wendy's, which given how much I love those heart-stopping four-storey burgers is likely to be soon!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »
Mike S: "The guy obscuring the 2nd green" is also "Hank" Mayhugh! I am absolutely aware I am the luckiest bloke in the world when it comes to Kerry's acceptance of golf. PV took me away from 5.30am-7.30pm and Fishers was 6am-10.40pm, but she seemed happy enough to while away each day.

John: By the time I spoke to you the other night and you recommended the frosty from Wendy's I was already exiting without one. But I will grab one next time I get Wendy's, which given how much I love those heart-stopping four-storey burgers is likely to be soon!

Be warned, those burgers could be literally heart-stopping in the future.  Also, you need to try a real burger at some off-the-beaten-path diner to get the real American experience.

And you didn't answer the Raynor question...
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »
Scott you must have been a F+++++ saint in a previous life, to deserve all the positive Karma you continue to receive. ;)

Long may it continue. :)

PS  when a course has been photo profiled before these “travelogue” threads are most welcome.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 08:56:32 PM »
John L: Most underrated? Not on here. Maybe by the common man? I don't know well enough to say, but in my experience maybe JF Abercromby and Willie Park could make strong claims to the title.

Tony: I try not to question the way the past two years has panned out for me. It defies logic that so many wonderful things could happen to a Daily Mail journo if karma has anything to do with it ;D In so many different ways my life when I return home to Aus in a fortnight will never be the same as it was before I left in Nov '08, and in every case that's a very good thing!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 09:41:25 PM »
Scott,

Great photos.

It's such a unique course.

How can you not love the combination Alps and Punchbowl hole, it's so unique, so challenging.

I think you only made two mistakes in your photo captions.

# 1  You don't want to own the house in the picture.
       Instead, you want to date or marry the daughter of the owner, she's breathtakingly beautiful.

It's amazing how NGLA, Shinnecock, Fishers and Westhampton have stood the ultimate test, the test of time.

Those couses are so special, so much fun to play and challenging for every level of golfer.

George_Bahto

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »
Here is a construction picture of the Eden at F/Is - compare it to the above if youlike

If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Mark McKeever

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 08:19:35 AM »
Course looks like a beast in the wind!  Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Scott Warren

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 06:24:07 PM »
Mark: A beast of merciless anger, for sure. None of us made a score, but the conditions made the occasional good shot all the more satisfying!

Thanks George. Pretty cool to compare:

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »
Scott
Great photo's and a great day of golf for sure.  I very much enjoyed my visit there a few years ago when myself and my two assistants enjoyed a great day at FI before heading over to the Island and taking on Shinny and Sebonack the following day.

And just like today when I "had a great ride home" ;D I enjoyed my trip home from that golfing adventure.

Ian ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back