News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Re: A few Oakmont photos....
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 08:05:48 PM »
Thanks for the great pictures.  I hope to visit Oakmont sometime soon.

What's the preferred line from 18 tee?

WW

Deucie Bies

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 11:16:15 PM »
Jonathan:

Thanks for the great pictures.  Did you find it as hard as everyone says?

Unfortunately this thread reminds me that I had to turn down an invite to Oakmont a few months ago, which was incredibly painful to do.  My friend who did go said it was by far the hardest course he had ever played. 

Carl,

I was told by my host that I caught Oakmont on the easiest day in it's history.  It had rained all night the day before, balls were plugging where they landed, the greens were running at about 10, and I drove it pretty well.  But don't get me wrong, you could see the murder everywhere.  I just think that the course was asleep when I played it.  ;)

Apparently the day of my invite was the day of a big members' event, with most of the best players participating.  My friend played after that event, and before his tee time, repeatedly texted me about how high the scores were, even for the really really good players in the field.  I think he was intimidated even before teeing off!

Carl, sorry you couldn't join us.  It was the day of the club championship.  Your boy Karl played very well both days.

Jim Tang

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »
Thanks for sharing these pictures.  What a crazy cool place!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 04:56:05 AM »
JB

Nice photos - Oakmont sure looks lush

Look forward to seeing the F9 in your Spring  :)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 08:03:07 AM »

Looks like I could break 120 easily.Did you drive 17?

Thanks Jonathan.

ChipOat

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 08:03:54 AM »
I haven't played Oakmont in 25 years (I used to play in The Swat) and I don't remember any of the brown fescue that some of your pictures show.  It sort of gives the course a Shinnecock look where they've planted it although Oakmont is, most definitely, a parkland course.

While Oakmont has been renowned for it's ultra-fast greens even before everybody started stimping at 12+, it is a little known fact that all Pittsburgh courses have wonderful greens (e.g. Fox Chapel, the Field Club, Allegheny, etc.).  Apparently, the city's location creates summer weather of hot days and cool nights - a superintendent's dream for firm and fast in and around the greens.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 06:00:51 PM »
Jonathan:

Thanks for the great pictures.  Did you find it as hard as everyone says?

Unfortunately this thread reminds me that I had to turn down an invite to Oakmont a few months ago, which was incredibly painful to do.  My friend who did go said it was by far the hardest course he had ever played. 

Carl,

I was told by my host that I caught Oakmont on the easiest day in it's history.  It had rained all night the day before, balls were plugging where they landed, the greens were running at about 10, and I drove it pretty well.  But don't get me wrong, you could see the murder everywhere.  I just think that the course was asleep when I played it.  ;)

Apparently the day of my invite was the day of a big members' event, with most of the best players participating.  My friend played after that event, and before his tee time, repeatedly texted me about how high the scores were, even for the really really good players in the field.  I think he was intimidated even before teeing off!

Carl, sorry you couldn't join us.  It was the day of the club championship.  Your boy Karl played very well both days.

Deucie--
Sorry I missed it -- Oakmont that is, not Karl's good play.  Thanks again for the invite. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back