News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Pre-deployment week 3: Pine Valley
« on: October 11, 2010, 10:39:07 PM »
Gents, I tried.  

I had a real catchy title about repeated tactical detail equaling overall strategic success.  As I recounted much of the training we received this past week in high threat driving, weapons tactics, and combat life saving; I thought over and over again about how anal our former SEAL instructor was about each footstep, each head movement, each fleeting movement of weapon, team, and vehicle.  After many VERY detailed repetitions, a bunch of chAIR FORCE desk jockeys and pilots were catching onto real deal, spec ops type tactics and training.  After painstaking detail in each and every facet of our skills, the strategic goal of making us a formidable "advisor" in Iraq was taking shape.

I wanted to sit down this evening and write about how Pine Valley was such an organism.  I wanted to write about how each and every hole is unique, challenging, well placed, and--above all--an addition that makes the whole greater than the sum of its parts.  I tried so hard to gut out 500 or so words of real nuts and bolts about one of the world's best.   But alas, I failed as an objective seeker of great golf architecture.  

Where I failed in objectivity, I hope I can shine as a story teller.   Pine Valley Golf Club near Clementon, NJ is everything you've heard about it, and (gasp) more.  

Five weeks ago I was sitting in my living room, lamenting the sudden news of an unwanted deployment.  As I reviewed the various online golf avenues, I noticed a thread by a friend--Mike Nuzzo--informing the golf world of the news.  Within hours, the outpouring of concern, support, offers to play, etc., were filling up my inbox at a torrid pace.  Buried in a collection of 40 or so emails from a group of the most generous men of earth, was a very short note.  "When you find out your weekly schedule and figure out your days off, please let me know if you'd like to join me for a round of golf at Pine Valley before you head out for deployment."

My wife was cooking dinner as a guttural yell formed deep in the recesses of my caveman lineage.  My labrador--Bogey--seemed to understand as he and I jumped and skipped around the house and backyard for three or four minutes.  I was going to Pine Valley!  A bastion of golf, challenge, beauty, and as I came to learn, camaraderie.  

Fast forward to this past Sunday morning.  Tee time at 1130, show time at the club at 1030, 0930 departure time from Ft. Dix.  Which means I was awake at....0630.  I pressed my khakis and cleaned my shoes like I was meeting a four star general.  My clubs were shined with Brasso (really). My bag was trimmed of weight so as not to piss off one of the legendary caddies.  Every detail was perfected as if I was flying a mission into Kabul.   Some of you who are in my contact list may have woken up Sunday morning with a text message from me that looked like this.

Fellas, the most famous ferris wheel in golf.  Thanks for being a great group of golf buddies.

As I drove down Atlantic Ave next to the tracks, I flashed back to Peter Herreid's "Operation Ferris Wheel" and Tommy Naccarato getting out of the car and dancing as soon as they got past the gate.  Was this really happening?  The gate guard, with a smooth amble out of his shack asked my name.  I glanced down as he looked at his sheet and sure enough, there was my name.  I was in!  

I went to the clubhouse and was informed that I'd meet my host at the north range.  As I drove through the woods, I caught glimpses of the terrifying 5th and the all world 7th.  My heart never beats this fast at 300 knots and 6 G's.  I had the entire range to myself.  With exact yardages at each station, I was able to accurately assess how far each of my badly chunked 7 iron's were traveling.  I thought to myself "7 iron, 42 yards.  I'll make sure I make a note of that yardage for my caddy"  After 10 minutes or so, my host joined me on the practice tee.  We talked for 20 minutes about various topics.  I'd grown accustomed to this weird, almost latent familiarity that most online golf nuts share when first meeting.  

For those of you that have played or seen the golf course, no review that I can provide will show anything that hasn't been presented before.  For those of you that haven't played or seen the golf course, no review I can provide can possibly help you understand how wonderful the place is.  With respect to the club, folks that haven't seen it, and my host, I won't post too much.  But from this view

...until this one...

...the golf was at the highest level.  The sensory overload is never-ending for the entire round.  One amazing view after another.  One great challenge after another.  One great green after another.  It goes on and on.

As objectively minded as I can be 24 hours removed from the experience, Pine Valley is the best golf course I've ever seen.  Here's why.  Variety and playability.  Not a single shot is alike.  No two holes are remotely similar in my opinion.  The fairways are very generous, the approaches are brutal.  The greens are a near perfect combination of contour, tilt, and subtlety.  The golf course is in many ways as tough--or tougher--than the toughest I've ever seen.  But unlike places like Oakmont and Olympic Lake, the sting of a poor hole is followed by another chance to succeed and make a shot.  I always felt like I had a chance.  It was as if  I was alternating between punches and kisses from a Victoria Secret model.  

I found myself looking around at various times in the day and wondering at what else George Crump could have done had he been able to stick around for a few more years.  Would he have even tried to build another course?  Could any piece of land ever have compared to the rolling pine barrens just outside Philadelphia?  I think one part of Pine Valley's greatness is that we'll never know.  Like Oakmont and Pebble Beach, the uniqueness of each may add to their mystique.  Suffice to say though friends, that Crump was a very talented man. (EDIT--This is purely an experiential post, but I would welcome architectural discussion about the course)

After our round my host and I had a drink with our playing partners.  It was pretty cool to see my host win the final of a season long "knockout" tournament with me as his guest and the legendary Leo on the bag.  I did the obligatory New Jersey economic recovery plan in the proshop while the assistant behind the desk kept calling me Captain.  Just another cool detail in day full of them.  We took a peek at the short course and how it replicates certain aspects of the big course.  I thought I was pretty clever when I told my host, "this might be Fazio's best work!"  It seems that I remain a beard puller, even in the midst of such ethereal moments.

All in all, it was a very fitting addition to my trip here in Jersey.  I can't say that the task ahead becomes any less difficult with a day like yesterday, but it sure helps.  For a day, I was as much a kid as I have ever been.  I was witness to a rare and timeless experience.  With eyes wide open and a full heart, I am humbled by these past few weeks.  And above all I learned, when it comes to golf course architecture, the journey is just beginning.

(more pics from the week and weekend)

Combat life saving (or) my card after the short par 4 8th.

A hole that has generated some discussion here.

Anyone know CPR?

Hey Mr. Christian, want to be a pilot?  I'll trade you!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:43:30 AM by Ben Sims »

Mac Plumart

Re: Pre-deployment week 3: Working title...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:42:26 PM »
What did you shoot?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ben Sims

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:51:08 PM »
What did you shoot?

Weird question to ask, and I'm not sure I really care to answer.  But since you asked.

94 with 4 pars. +7 on 13 and 14 alone.  Two missed make-able birdies, and four missed make-able par putts.  I need a Gib Papazian putting lesson in a bad way.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:02:47 PM »
Ben,

You say,
"The greens are a near perfect combination of contour, tilt, and subtlety."

What sort of speed were they? Do you think if they had been slower or faster that they would still retain there character such as it is (of course I don't know what that is!). For example if they were slower would they be any easier?

Cheers Col
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:34:46 PM »
Ben,

You say,
"The greens are a near perfect combination of contour, tilt, and subtlety."

What sort of speed were they? Do you think if they had been slower or faster that they would still retain there character such as it is (of course I don't know what that is!). For example if they were slower would they be any easier?

Cheers Col

Colin,

If I had to guess, I'd say they were around 10-11 feet.  I've been wrong before.

What I have found as the best judge of whether a given turf condition matches a green's contour and tilt is not the downhill putts--they should be fast--but the uphill putts.  I found myself leaving uphill putts short of the hole, oddly enough.  The reason for this phenomena is a fear of hitting it too hard.  Many times yesterday I thought, "there's no way I have to hit it that hard to get it to the hole.

One thing to keep in mind, is that speed isn't always just about mowing height.  A few other variables such as turf density and texture have a large impact on speed as well.  It seems that PV has a great combination of turf quality outside of just mowing height that ensure a really great roll without being excessively slick. 

I don't think the greens at PV could have run much slower than yesterday and still retain a lot of their subtlety.  Then again, if they were much faster, the tilt and larger contours would make them a bit too much.  Just my opinion.

Mac Plumart

Re: Pre-deployment week 3: Pine Valley
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 07:47:57 AM »
I don't think my question was weird at all.  Great courses are supposed to be playable by all and still a challenge for the scratch golfer, right?  I've heard fans of the course say it is very playable for all and I've heard others claim it is too difficult.  Simply trying to gauge that discrepancy.  Congrats!

Do you have any pictures of the greens that you'd be open to posting?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:51:11 AM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 08:24:43 AM »
Great write up and thanks for sharing.

Pine Valley -- like many great courses -- exemplifies superior routing and design. No one hole really screams for attention. I savor every single one.

It's absolutely playable for any golfer who can carry a tee shot 180 yards and an approach shot 150.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 08:31:20 AM »
Great stuff Ben! Loving the weekly reports...
H.P.S.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 08:33:05 AM »
Ben- Just as good as listening to any 7 year old describe the joy of their first bicycle on Christmas morning. It speaks volumes about the generosity of guys on this board. You deserve this and every other top 100 that comes your way. Thanks for your dedication and service. :)

Matt Schmidt

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 08:37:12 AM »
I think this is the best assessment of the course I've ever heard: "the sting of a poor hole is followed by another chance to succeed and make a shot.  I always felt like I had a chance.  It was as if I was alternating between punches and kisses from a Victoria Secret model."

I also felt like I always had a chance, and know the punch-in-the-gut feeling of failure and the sweet kiss of success at PV!  While difficult and demanding on several shots, I didn't find spots where there weren't any reasonable recovery options.  However, if you think you should always be able to hit the ball closer to the hole on successive shots, then you might find a few spots you don't like at PV!

Did you try a shot from the DA?  If so, what club did you use and did you get kissed or punched?

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 10:08:16 AM »
The generous nature of the members of this website never ceases to impress me.  Congrats on playing Pine Valley and congrats on having a good time.  It is well earned.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Eder

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 10:15:43 AM »
Wonderful. Thank you very much for your service and be safe!!!

Ben Sims

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 10:57:02 AM »
Mac, Matt and others,

Not trying to ignore your posts. I'll reply this evening when we get off the range.

JC Jones

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »
Mac, Matt and others,

Not trying to ignore your posts. I'll reply this evening when we get off the range.

Do you really think that hitting golf balls is the best way to prepare for combat? ;) ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Richard Choi

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 11:38:33 AM »
I want even more detailed report when we get together next year!!! You lucky SOB... :)

Jim Briggs

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 01:32:19 PM »

Ben,

Thanks for the write-up.  I must say that when you mentioned to me when at Hidden Creek that PV was on your week 3 agenda, I've been anxiously awaiting the write-up and the ability to live a bit vicariously.  Great job in telling the story.  When you get some time, give us a flavor of some of the "kisses from a Victoria Secrets model" and the shots you were able to pull off in between punches.

Glad it lived up to and exceeded what I know where extremely high expectations.

Jim

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 01:56:11 PM »
Thanks for the write-up Ben...I'm really glad you got to play this course, and thanks for providing some insight to another person that has never had the opportunity to see, let alone play PV.

Good luck with your training/deployment!

Carl Nichols

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 02:10:44 PM »
The generous nature of the members of this website never ceases to impress me.  Congrats on playing Pine Valley and congrats on having a good time.  It is well earned.

+1

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 03:03:23 PM »
Keep your head low and your spirits high. Get back home safely so we can read more about your golfing exploits.

Steve Kline

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 03:26:20 PM »
Ben - absolutely fantastic post. I agree with everything you said and it reminds me of my great weekend at PV.

May you return safe and sound to your family when your Tour is over.

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 08:38:20 PM »
Ben,

Great post. As Mark Chaplin mentioned elsewhere, I got the same first taste yesterday, a day after you, and was similarly blown away. Floored. Even though I played pretty badly at times.

You're right that there's not much that can be added about the greatness of the course. The one thing that did amaze me was the greens. I had never read anything that prepared me for how amazing they were, especially the likes of 2, 3, 6, 8 and then there's those subtle slopes on the likes of 4, 12 and 13 that don't stand out, but the ball just runs and runs on the imperceptible slopes.

The other thing that surpised me was the elevation changes on 2, 3, 4, 8, 14 and 18. They are some steep slopes!

All in all it's the perfect course and club:

18 brilliant holes that, contrary to some people's claims, are tremendously playable.
A heavenly practice facility.
A clubhouse as warm, low-key and welcoming as your grandparents' house.

A couple of pics (I hope you don't mind Ben, but I figured two threads on PV concurrently was probably unnecessary)

The man himself:

The waves of the second green - we had a crazy tough pin in the back left

The 10th knocked the breath clean out of my lungs. I managed to put it to 15ft to create a great little memory

Absolutely on Cloud 9 after melting my drive on the 13th - before fanning the 4i right and making bogey!

The point from which I made an unlikely 3 on the 14th!

As wonderful as the 18th is, it was hard not to be upset to have reached the tee... almost over.

Ben Sims

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 08:41:45 PM »

Ben,

Thanks for the write-up.  I must say that when you mentioned to me when at Hidden Creek that PV was on your week 3 agenda, I've been anxiously awaiting the write-up and the ability to live a bit vicariously.  Great job in telling the story.  When you get some time, give us a flavor of some of the "kisses from a Victoria Secrets model" and the shots you were able to pull off in between punches.

Glad it lived up to and exceeded what I know where extremely high expectations.

Jim

Jim,

The best par of my life--not because of the hole, but how I did it--came on #15.  It's a beast of a par 5, around 590 yards, uphill, progressively getting skinnier as you approach the severely back to front green.  I hit my got to tee shot, the 280 yd or so power slice (as you've seen).  This left me barely into the right rough, but blocked out from the  layup area.  I choked up on the 3 wood, really came out to in on it and hit a screaming low cut that rolled off the right side of the fairway and near a tree.  Blocked out again, I hit nearly the same shot witht he same club and watched from under a branch as it rolled up the front of the green and past the hole to the very back of the green.  The putt was a 20 footer that I barely breathed on and it lipped out.  Tap in par.

Driver, three wood, three wood.   And I don't hit the ball short.  

This was the highlight of my abilities on Sunday.  Other shots that I remember are a flop shot from the front steps of the 18th tee (don't ask) to the back pin on the 10th green to four feet.  A hooded seven iron from the left side of the 9th fairway to a back left pin on the left green.  A dozen or so other ones come into my mind.  

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 09:41:05 PM »
Wonderful post.  The excitement in your words certainly has made me better aware of the magic surrounding that place.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 11:22:30 PM »
Ben & Scott

Am glad that you fullfilled lifetime dreams to play PVGC - it's almost a year to the day since I was there and I still remember every little bit of detail of the experience. Thanks for sharing.

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I suspect I will remember the day in detail for the rest of my life, Kevin. I can still taste the turtle soup!

I've tried to describe it here: http://theglobalgolfer.blogspot.com/ but to be honest it's hard to tap the magical feeling.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back