News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Gallagher

Carton House Montgomerie Course
« on: June 30, 2013, 10:23:02 AM »
    Irish Open this week at Carton House. On television the Montgomerie course looks intriguing. Anyone know about it's construction? Any posters who have played it? Is it sandy?
    I've played 17 links in Ireland and one parkland, K Club, the Ryder Cup Palmer course. It had some good holes, but I'd rather play the links courses, it's why I go over. Thoughts?

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Carton House Montgomerie Course
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:01:14 AM »
The course was designed by Stan Eby of EGD.

The fairways pitch and roll to a great extent - the bunkers have a large gathering area. The greens have a lot of run-offs.

It is an intriguing course. For some it goes too far and is too tough. I like it because it had a genuine concept of copying a "links style" on a parkland setting and it was executed well. The site was not sandy and as such it is still an aerial course.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 11:26:03 AM »
Ally,
   Succinct and information filled. So Monty just got to put his name on it?
   The roll of the fairways, bunker placement, and green collection areas all look alluring. Thanks for the reply.
    I like to base out of Dublin and then play courses like The Island, County Louth, The European Club etc. Maybe I need to divert and go check it out.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »
I have had the opportunity to play it a few times when I have been to Ireland but never went to play either of the courses.  I just don't want to get away from the Sea.  After watching the Irish Open I haven't changed my mind.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »
Tommy and Brian,
   I don't know if I will ever exhaust my interest in Ireland's outstanding links courses. I could play Baltray every day for the rest of my life and never be bored by it. I wound up at the K Club because a friend set it up. It was ok, but I don't need to go back.
    I've only played one links in Ireland I didn't care for, Doonbeg. I think it's got some very good holes, but its got 4 or 5 that are just not well thought out.
   Thank's for posting your opinions on the Montgomerie course. Sounds like I'll stick to the coast.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back