News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

The Greens at Greate Bay NJ
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:01:48 PM »
Got a chance to play Greate Bay yesterday in Somers Point NJ.  Strangely enough my grandparents many years ago lived next to the 14th hole and I never new what course it was as a kid.  I was pleasantly surprised by the course.  I really liked the 13 green, a tribute to the Postage Stamp at Troon and the 14th hole which has a very unique green that reminded me a bit of the 2nd green at Pine Valley but smaller.  Has anyone else gotten a chance to play Greate Bay?  What are your thoughts?

Rick Sides

Re: The Greens at Greate Bay NJ
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 02:06:50 PM »
Pleas note...... knew was spelled wrong.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 02:27:42 PM »
Rick did you get a chance to snap some pictures?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »
 The green I enjoyed was a double plateau with the dip running from front to back and the plateaus on either side.
AKA Mayday

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »
Played this course last week and really enjoyed it. Loved the smallish Willie Park greens which had plenty of slope and contour. Additionally the pace of the greens was plenty quick with putts running out more than expected. A number of interesting false fronts to put a premium on club selection. Hole 2 was my favorite, a 414 yd par four which required a good drive and an uphill second shot which had a left pin completely guarded by a large bunker. Plenty of variety in the holes and a course you could play every day.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:52:16 PM by Tim Martin »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:00:44 PM »
Rick:

Frankly, the course deserves a better share of hype -- it often gets lost in the sauce because of the more recent designs in and around the area.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »
Rick:

Frankly, the course deserves a better share of hype -- it often gets lost in the sauce because of the more recent designs in and around the area.

It has been a bunch of years since I have been there. It would be interesting to know all the changes over the years as I remember playing it once or twice when the old clubhouse was located at the current 17 green, 18 tee:

I always like a Super with the passion of this Blog:

http://greatebaycc.blogspot.com/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:26:22 PM »
Rick did you get a chance to snap some pictures?

Mark

I put together a photo album from my visit there last winter (thanks Archie!) that is now nicely hosted by Joe Logan's site:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/GreateBay/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

archie_struthers

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 11:32:28 AM »
 :D ;) :D

Happy to hear some of you have gotten to my home club . We were blessed this summer with good conditions, though the greens were a tad slow to protect them from the heat. ( our superintendent and his crew are doing great work)

The greens are a poa mix blend and were all push up when built in the early 20's. There is some dispute as to when the golf club officially opened for play as the old Somer Point Ocean City Golf Course. One look at the architecture and you have no doubt it is a Willie Park. The greens tend to be on the smaller side , with round pods very similar in look to some of those at Olympia Fields , a more famous Park work in the Chicago suburbs that has been the home to many USGA events.

When we purchased the club in 1998 I couldn't stand the 2nd and 3rd holes , which had been changed over the years. Two was an awful par three ( also slowed play) and number three had been shortened from an excellent  long par four / short five to a short 4.
NOw the routing starts with a nice four par with a really good green and a long four par number two .   This has really helped pace of play and  is the number one handicap hole . iI'spretty close to the original Park 4/5 that was played for fifty plus years until Roin Garl did a renovation in the mid eighties.  

I'm not too hep on the Garl work on holes 11 and 12 either as they bear little or no resemblance to the original 15 that remain  farily intact. The holes are ok on their own but definitely are the wrong genre.          

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:37:32 AM by archie_struthers »

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 12:11:37 PM »
Greate Bay is ARCHIE's course, right?

I think you and I first met there years ago, right ARCHIE? I think I came down there for the GAP membership committee. Remember?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »
Thanks Joe.  Based on the pictures the course looks pretty neat!  The second shots are visually appealing and I like the looks of some of the green complexes.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

archie_struthers

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

TEP I am one of the owners but more a happy member. We have lots of good players and plenty of fun there these days . HOpe some more of the guys can visit some day. Maybe we'll host a day of architecture , golf,  food and maybe a little beer!

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 03:14:18 PM »
I've played Greate Bay once a summer for the past 15 years and the subtlety of the course never ceases to amaze me.  I look forward to each round out there. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back