News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bradley Anderson

Camargo & Holston Hills New
« on: October 13, 2010, 05:44:12 PM »
This week a group of us supers from Detroit got away to play golf at Camargo and Holston Hills.

This first thread will be from our round at Camargo. I will do a second thread on Holston Hills, and possibly a third thread to contrast the two golf courses.

The weather was perfectly sunny and warm for both days of our trip. But our host supers would have welcomed a bit of rain as they have both come through one of the hottest and driest summers on record.

The first hole at Camargo is a good indicator of what is to come in your round:

Huge greens with plenty of internal movement.

Enormous fill pads - there is probably 3,500 yards of fill under some of those greens.

Wide open strait edge approaches - some are 40 yards wide. As the season winds down, Greenkeeper Douglas Norwell has been working a lot of sand in the approaches and the course played really lively for us.

Flat sand bunkers that sit deep around the sides of the greens.

The property is so huge that you rarely ever see an adjoining hole.

Nearly every hole has a valley to traverse either in front of the green, or beyond the tee. 36 holes of match play here would definitely separate the men from the boys.

Three green. This fairly short hole is open on the right side, but the ground falls away so steeply that you really feel forced to aim for a spot on the left side. Now you are hitting over a bunker to the putting surface. Short and sassy.

Four green. It is impossible to capture the scale of these holes with a camera. These bunkers extend well over 100 yards from both sides of the green, flanking the entire fairway and approach like the Biarritz does. And the crazy thing is the safe way to the green is so wide open here that there is absolutely no excuse for missing, but these bunkers are so huge and deep that its hard not to be intimidated by it all. "For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leadeth to destruction”

The Eden Hole. A very shallow green with nothing but trouble on all four sides. And you have to hit over this deep valley, which somehow makes it all the more daunting. On this tee shot I went in to full sphincter lock down. Lets just move on to the next hole shall we?

I think this is 6 Tee. On so many of these tee shots you have these beautiful panoramic views before you. I can’t remember playing a more beautiful course than Camargo.

Dan Dingman hitting down to the Alps hole green. The red flag is barely visible, in line with the big oak tree beyond.

The closer you are to the Alps green the harder it is to see the tip of the flag pole. Here you can see John Cooney crushed his drive, but he has no visual of the flag pole from where he is hitting. Whereas Dan, had at least a view of the flag tip from further back. How cool is that?

The green on 7 is probably a Punchbowl Green judging from how it is surrounded by frying pan embankment. This shot is looking down from the ridge that obscures the green from the fairway.

There is also the typical Alps bunker in front of the green that you can’t see from your approach shot.

NERD ALERT. I can’t believe Dan let me talk him into this: each of us is standing over the deflection spines on the front half of the Biarritz approach. I was curious to see if they were there and they definitely are, though not nearly as pronounced as they appear on some drawings of Biarritz holes. I think over time the spines are not as visible because the sand builds up on the edges of the flanking bunkers, not to mention years and years of mowing and aeration that tend to wear them down. But they are here if you know where to look for em.

Walking through the Biarritz swale.

Ten greenside bunker.

I found myself hitting a second shot after the ball rolled back down the grass face. You just don’t often have to hit such a high lofted shot out of a bunker like this. Imagine what it was like with the old hickories - IMPOSSIBLE!

The Short Hole. None of these greens are really that hard to hit. I mean they are so huge, that they shouldn’t be right?

But there you go again --  hitting from a greenside bunker. I think it has something to with the fact that the hazards are as large as the targets are? Everything is on such a different scale than what you are accustomed to in golf.

12 Tee. This shot really illustrates the nature of the property. The golf course is on over 250 acres of land and so there is often no indication of adjacent holes. And there are deep valleys cut through the property. Raynor worked with similar land at Shoreacres, but most of the breaks in the terrain at Shoreacres have steeper banked ravines. Here the land has as many breaks but they are much broader in scope than at Shoreacres.

Diagonal crossing bunker before 12 approach.

The 12th green appears to be almost half an acre. These greens are reminiscent of the greens at Oakmont. Because they are so large, there can be more internal movement within the green. And you find yourself making the longest lag putts that you will ever encounter unless you are placing the ball close to the pin. Too bad the camera does not capture the movement in this green.

Don’t be tempted to cut the corner on 13

The rough falls away deep to the right side and you can’t advance the ball forward from it.

I hit the perfect length 5 iron on the number 15 Redan hole, but it had too much loft on it to kick and roll down to the hole. Grrrr!

So I was left with a long downhill putt  - the pin was cut towards the back.

My second shot to the green. The mounding in the front obscures that you are hitting to a double plateau green. The pin was in the front of the green when we played. There are definitely some wild pin placements on the back half of this green.

Camargo was such a handful to play that we just didn't take a lot of pictures. But there you go.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:30:10 PM by Bradley Anderson »

Richard Hetzel

Re: Camargo & Holston Hills
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 07:15:33 PM »
Great pics and post. I have been fortunate to play Camargo on several occasions. AND, Mayhugh treated me to Holston back in April. Both awesome experiences! Keep the pics coming!
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

Jim Eder

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:53:06 PM »
The course is brilliant. Great photos and thanks again for sharing.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 02:08:08 AM »
Bradley

WOW!  Camargo looks brilliant in these photos - the best I have seen of the place.  It is interesting to see the Mac/Raynor templates on what looks to be ideal golfing terrain.   

Thanks for the tour.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Steve Kline

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 07:56:13 AM »
Sean - if you have not played Camargo you really MUST! It is an absolutely fantastic golf course. Great piece of land. Great movement in the greens. And, most of all, because of the movement, size of the greens, and fearsome bunkering, there is tremendous strategy involved. You need a very strong iron game to score at Camargo.

Brad - I noticed that you guys had what looked like to be some fairly easy pin placements. Imagine playing the course in the U.S. Am qualifier where the pins are all tucked near the edges of those greens and just over or behind slopes bringing the fearsome bunkers more in play because if you hit the middle of the green you have a hard two putt. I look forward to that qualifier every year because I get three rounds (practice round and two tournament rounds) at Camargo for $125.

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 09:03:52 AM »
Thanks for the pictures, it looks amazing!!!  My brother-in-law just moved to south Cincy and we drove by on the way back from Shaker Run so I could see a few holes from the road and entrance.  Just beautiful!!! 

I've played Yeamans twice and from what I could see, it looked like Yeamans on steroids....lots more elevation change, but definitely that signature Raynor style. 

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 09:08:38 AM »
Another fantastic post Bradley.

What a GREAT looking set of par-3's! The approach shot on the Alps hole also looks to be a ton of fun.

So many compare Camargo to Shoreacres, but other than the rolling land/somewhat steep slopes (and obviously the templates) of Camargo I don't see it as much as others from the photos.
H.P.S.

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 10:08:49 AM »
Thanks for the pics Bradley. I've always admired the few pics I've seen of Camargo and yours really capture the great land there that Raynor had to work with. I've only played one Raynor/Mac course, so take this for what it's worth, but Camargo looks like it could very well be the best example of Raynors work. It is such a compelling looking place.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »
Sean - if you have not played Camargo you really MUST! It is an absolutely fantastic golf course. Great piece of land. Great movement in the greens. And, most of all, because of the movement, size of the greens, and fearsome bunkering, there is tremendous strategy involved. You need a very strong iron game to score at Camargo.

Steve

There are so many wonderful looking courses in the States.  Even with invites to a mere tenth of them it would be impossible to take advantage.  Mind you, Cinci is more or less the same distance from Detroit as Chicago....how much further is Knoxville?  After you answer that question, get me an invite....

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

JLahrman

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 10:33:52 AM »
Great looking pics of my favorite course.

Did you stage the bunker shot on 10 or did you really wind up in it?  That's the deepest bunker on the course.  AVOID!

mark chalfant

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 11:40:15 AM »
Bradley,

Thanks for photos and very helpful comments about this great Raynor masterpiece. The routing, greens and exceptional spaciousness make Camargo one of America's finest courses. The template/par threes are very good. However, the inspired way that Raynor routed ALL of the 18 holes points to his exceptional skill and craftsmanship.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:44:44 AM by mark chalfant »

Mike H

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 12:06:47 PM »
I can never get enough of Camargo, its a special place.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »
It's a pretty time to play golf in Cincinnati right now as the leafs are turning. I'm sure these pictures don't do justice to how Camargo looked. I can never see enough pictures of this course.

It indeed has been very dry lately. A couple of the courses I've played lately have had rough that was like runaways. Nice if you're looking for a few extra yards, but not so fun on big slopes.

Sean, To answer the question about Knoxville, it's a little over 4 hours south of Cincinnati.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »
You said the run ups were "lively." Perfect discription! I wasn't going to read your entire post- I now the course well- until I read that. Greta choice of words.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
BTW, great pic of #11. Maybe it is just the light, because the angle is rather standard, but you've captured the nature of the hole perfectly. #3 and #11 are my two favorites ot Camargo (in no way demeaning the other 16 holes, which are all brilliant and flow as well as any.)
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

JLahrman

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 05:20:42 PM »

The Eden Hole. A very shallow green with nothing but trouble on all four sides. And you have to hit over this deep valley, which somehow makes it all the more daunting. On this tee shot I went in to full sphincter lock down. Lets just move on to the next hole shall we?

This is a great description of 5.  The first four holes offer large greens with plenty of room to run the ball up.  The greens are wide open and accessble, with the exception of coming into #3 from the left.

Then you come to this hole, which plays about 180.  The green is shallow (and looks even shallower from the tee than it really is).  After four holes of huge greens, this looks like you're trying to hit the ball onto somebody's fingernail.  It's jarring.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 06:38:49 PM »
Great looking pics of my favorite course.

Did you stage the bunker shot on 10 or did you really wind up in it?  That's the deepest bunker on the course.  AVOID!

Not staged. The flag was on that side of the green and I didn't want to blow past it so I hit to just clear the embankment and came up a foot short. So you get to hit it again. Where else do you play that shot? Blackwolf Run on a couple holes.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 06:41:09 PM »
You said the run ups were "lively." Perfect discription! I wasn't going to read your entire post- I now the course well- until I read that. Greta choice of words.

Oh yea, Douglas does an amazing job there, and what people may fail to realize is when he goes out to work sand into just one approach he is working on the square footage that most of us would be massaging on 5 holes.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 06:44:17 PM »
Thanks for the pics Bradley. I've always admired the few pics I've seen of Camargo and yours really capture the great land there that Raynor had to work with. I've only played one Raynor/Mac course, so take this for what it's worth, but Camargo looks like it could very well be the best example of Raynors work. It is such a compelling looking place.

David,

I wish I had taken more pics but the golf course was really just so much to handle. I don't think I have ever played a more exhausting round, and it wasn't because of the heat or anything - the holes are just that demanding.

JLahrman

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 07:28:33 PM »
Not staged. The flag was on that side of the green and I didn't want to blow past it so I hit to just clear the embankment and came up a foot short. So you get to hit it again. Where else do you play that shot? Blackwolf Run on a couple holes.

It gets real fun when you skank an iron into a front right bunker and the pin is back left.  On greens that size, you'll have an eight foot lip and a 100-foot bunker shot.  There's little hope of getting enough loft to get it over the lip but also fly it as far as you need to.

Steve Kline

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 07:56:09 AM »

Steve

There are so many wonderful looking courses in the States.  Even with invites to a mere tenth of them it would be impossible to take advantage.  Mind you, Cinci is more or less the same distance from Detroit as Chicago....how much further is Knoxville?  After you answer that question, get me an invite....

Ciao

Knoxville is about 4 hours straight down I-75 from Cincy. I wish I could get you an invite because then I could get one too. I know one member but not well enough to call him up and play.

Zack Molnar

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 04:00:20 PM »
I personally think the bunker on the left side of 5 is a more diffucult bunker than in front of 10. It it much deeper, and the shot you face is just as dangerous, whether the shot is across the green or just to the back left pin position, as there is no room for error over, and coming up short will leave you with a very tough putt.

JLahrman

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »
I personally think the bunker on the left side of 5 is a more diffucult bunker than in front of 10. It it much deeper, and the shot you face is just as dangerous, whether the shot is across the green or just to the back left pin position, as there is no room for error over, and coming up short will leave you with a very tough putt.

That's a good point...that bunker might be deeper than the bunker on 10, and it certainly is more difficult recovery shot.  There's just no good place to miss on 5, and that bunker is definitely not the place to be.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back