News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: What course was your biggest positive surprise in 2010?
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »
California Golf Club.  I was excited about the round after seeing the photos and renovation updates here on GCA, but seeing the finished product first hand was an eye opener for me.  I found it to be a top notch club with a wonderful membership and a world class golf course.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 10:15:08 AM »
Harrison Hills!

Despite it being profiled on here...didn't expect it to be THAT good.

2.  Sagebrush (3 days ago)...awesome place.
3.  Lonnie Poole in NC...wasn't expecting alot, and I was pleasantly surprised.  Definately will go back.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 11:55:02 AM »
Andy:

Good call on Ravenna -- gets little attention -- well done by Jay Moorish.

For me -- public this year -- Wine Valley

Private this year -- Clear Creek

Plenty of fun on both accounts and courses that are "must" plays for any serious student of course architecture.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 12:36:04 PM »
Brunswick Country Club
Absolute blast on the greens.  Fantastic flat golf course.  Dan Hogan was as hospitable as possible.  Can't wait to get back!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »
Guys,
What a great list!  I'm happy to see a lot of "under the radar" courses show up here.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 01:34:45 PM »
Locally, Flynn's Woodcrest in Cherry Hill, NJ was a pleasant surprise as it's never mentioned among the top Flynn's in the area.The par3s were very good. Also Jack Frost Nat'l in the Poconos was a very pleasant surprise as it was a thouroughly enjoyable and playable course.

In Arizona, I was pleasantly surprised by Aguila, a Phoenix muni designed by Gary Panks. It's a quality course with a good variety of holes. It's currently undergoing a restoration,primarily bunker work. I look forward to a return visit.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Richard Choi

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
University of Michigan course.

I think they did a fine job with the renovations. It was better than I remembered. Great greens and just a blast to play.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 01:50:49 PM »
Flynn's Country Club in Pepper Pike blew me away this year.  The awesome routing, the cool angles of approach into the greens, the best par 3 that I've seen in Ohio in #14, the downhill rolling terrain of #7, the terrace that divides #15, the crazy contours of #17....I could go on and on.

Seeing a course like Country showed me that rankings are overrated.  Country isn't ranked anywhere and I've played 20 or so other top 100s that I would put behind it.  It made that much of an impression on me.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 01:52:02 PM »
Schuylkill  - had heard it was good but good was a major understatement

Cobbs Creek

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »
Darn - how did I leave out Schuylkill?

A Ross gem in little Pottsville, PA (the original home of the Washington Redskins)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:06:34 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 03:10:20 PM »
Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails:

In anticipation of my trip to Bandon I was psyched about playing Pacific Dunes and Old Mac and really didn't expect that much from BD or BT but boy was I wrong.  Both courses are really good and a whole lot of fun.  Yes, Old Mac and Pacific Dunes are arguably the best but you should not miss BD and BT.  You can see that BD is the reason why the resort was initially so successful.  It is challenging and fun with those beautiful ocean views and playing with Ran, who was using his hickories, made it special.  BT is different because the land is much hillier and the course is mostly tree lined but certainly challenges the player with options on most holes and the green complexes are top notch.    

You should play all the courses at Bandon at least once before deciding which one is your favorite.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 04:12:55 PM »
Concra Wood

It's outside of Castleblayney in Monaghan, designed by Christy O'Connor Jr.. It was a big surprise how good it was, despite the name it's around a lake with plenty of elevation change, would recommend it to anyone.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Cory Lewis

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 04:18:16 PM »
My biggest surprise would be Charles River, there are just so many good Ross courses in MA that I think this one might get overshadowed by the more notable ones, but it sure was a lot of fun to play.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2010, 04:22:33 PM »
My new favorites thus far in 2010 include MPCC--Shore, Cal Club of SF, Berkshire Hills and Red Tail in Mass, Mountain Lake in FL, Tobacco Road, Caledonia in Myrtle Beach and Shuttle Meadow in CT.

I still have about 12--15 additional never-before-seen course visits planned this year, including the Dixie Cup, so this list might grow a bit.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2010, 04:46:22 PM »
I think one should have a good entry for this thread every year in order to consider the golf season well-rounded. I've played some incredible courses this year, but not much that I didn't know would be great beforehand. With a baby in the house I've had to sacrifice quantity for quality, but exploring the unheralded courses is one of my favorite things in golf.

I'd rather be offering something like a Copake Lake, but I guess my biggest positive surprise would be that I found myself genuinely enjoying Troon North. It's the antithesis of so many of the things I believe in golf, and I have no great desire to play it again, but sometimes a day at Disneyland really can be fun. I accidentally rousted a javelina from a bush while searching for a hooked drive in the desert--quite an exciting moment for both of us! I wish I had taken my camera for a great moment on the par-3 16th--off to the left there was a multimillion-dollar house with a clutch of MILFs having sunset cocktails on the expansive patio. And right next to the house, slightly upslope, was a gargantuan, three-story tall boulder, probably half the size of the house, perched on a diamond point at an incredibly precarious angle. The metaphorical nature of the scene was obvious and amusing. That's all off-course stuff, but I thought TN had a solid variety of holes and a bunch of memorable (in a good way) moments. And on the most basic level, it's pretty playable--something that isn't always the case when it comes to desert courses.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 05:35:11 PM »
Gog Magog's Old Course by Willie Park jnr / James Braid nr. Cambridge - was my biggest new surprise of this year - I will definitely be going back there to check out the newer Wandlebury course by Hawtree which looks good.

Cheers
Ben

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2010, 05:35:44 PM »
I had a couple of days off on a business trip to Sydney this year and decided to take the wife to Tassie and try out Barnbougle Dunes; wow I was truely blown away! I knew it was a Doak, so it had that going for it. I knew it would be linksy, but really hadn't heard a tremendous amount of buzz; maybe the discussions were out there but I was unaware of them. Truely a great experience from the course itself, with its true links conditions, to the cozy cottages and the wonderfully welcoming clubhouse and staff. It has posibly the best long par 4 I have played to date in #8 and two of the best short par 4's on the planet in #4 and #12. After our visit I found out that it is now the #2 rated golf course in all of Australia; it was certainly better than New South Wales which I played earlier in the year. I suspect that after the opening of the Lost Farm we'll all be hearing more about it. Fantastic work by Doak and Clayton!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

mike_malone

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2010, 05:44:52 PM »
 Odessa National was #1 .
   The construction is very profesisonal . The use of the reeds and wild grasses is sensational. I had the feeling of TOC with the  "vegetation blindness" .  For a course not on the radar even for my friends who find every good value within an hour of Philly It blew me away from an low expectations / high fun perspective. The course is seriously off the beaten track, inexpensive, and gets little play.
   The first four holes can stand with almost any start in the area with #2 being one of the most challenging and strategic holes anywhere. Mike Cirba started an entire topic about #4, a short par four. On the back there a couple of other short fours only slightly less charming.

A couple of short par fives , #5 and #16 , create very interesting decisions for the average golfer--whether to layup and where.

#6 , the first par three , is a bit weak but the other threes are fine.

I think the course is great for the mid handicapper. We usually play the blue tees but on some holes we went back to the blacks. That was a fun discussion with my buddies.
AKA Mayday

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2010, 07:02:58 PM »
Royal Worlington & Newmarket - I knew it would be good, but it was better.
Cruden Bay - I knew it would be good, but it was better.
Munster - I didn't know we had heathland courses in Germany.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2010, 07:20:55 PM »
Limited travel this year, just the King's Putter courses, Rock Creek Cattle, Circling Raven and Sagebrush. Sagebrush tops for me. Lots of fun, low key good people, pondering an away membership.

Scott Warren

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2010, 07:26:35 PM »
As a complete sleeper, I'd have to say Golspie.

Hankley Common was another. Ticks pretty much every box that needs ticking. Deserves more press (and the clubhouse isn't nearly as ugly as some people say!)

Silly as it sounds, Royal Dornoch. I expected great golf. I didn't expect to feel so moved by the experience. I've never had a golf course make me feel that way before.

Tim Gerges

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2010, 10:25:12 PM »
My biggest surprise of 2010 was my last round played, New Haven Country Club.  I've played a ton of golf in the state of CT and I'm shocked I haven't heard more about this Willie Park, Jr. gem.  Terrific routing and fun, fast, undulating greens.  What a treat to play.   

A close 2nd was the Country Club of Birmingham in Alabama.  Seemed like a tremendous place be a member and what a fun course.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2010, 10:51:36 PM »
I got to see some places this year that I'd wanted to get to for a while, but by far the most pleasant surprise was Askernish.  I had assumed a lot of the previous publicity was generated because it was such a good story and because the people involved were so authentic .  And they are.  But it's a way better golf course than anyone has given it credit for.

JR Potts

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2010, 11:24:07 PM »
If you asked me yesterday, I would have said Hidden Creek.  But, since I played Erin Hills today...and absolutely loved it....I must give Erin Hills the nod.  In my Top 10 for sure.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2010, 08:51:46 AM »
The biggest surprise of the year for me were the greens at Woking. Tremendous variety.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back