News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re: Who will be the U.S. Captain in 2012?
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 04:38:54 PM »
It's time for the PGA of America to right the CONSIDERABLE wrong they caused in not naming Larry Nelson.

The man's overall playing record and his involvement as a past participant in the Ryder Cup are as clear as day.

When people talk about other choices -- keep this in mind Nelson has won more majors than Couples & Pavin put together.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 05:04:08 PM »
Nelson was screwed, no doubt. I wonder if there's an inside story that we'll never know. Passing him over made no sense.

That said, there should be a gang rush to get the captain's gig for 2012, because it's on U.S. soil. The poor sap who gets stuck with the 2014 Ryder Cup -- no doubt to be played on an as-yet unbuilt Donald Trump course in Scotland -- is almost guaranteed to receive the same vilification Pavin is getting now. When you win once in 30 years on foreign soil, your team is facing an almost insurmountable home-field disadvantage. But somebody has to take the bullet. This year Pavin stepped forward. Bet he would have won at Valhalla -- or Medinah.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 05:24:40 PM »
Rick:

Captaining on USA soil is one thing -- doing it on the foreign side is quite a bit different.

I cannot fathom how the likes of Tom Lehman, Cory Pavin or even Fred Couples could be considered before Larry Nelson.

Nelson is not begging for the job -- nor should he.

The injustice needs to be straightened out because I don't want to hear the other names until Nelson is named.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 05:49:01 PM »
Jeepers, can't we roll Pavin over a few times before we talk about the next guy?

I was very surprised by Pavin as captain.  I was surprised I liked his attitude because I pegged him as one of the main psychos during War on the Shore.  Of course, that was a long time ago and Pavin may have mellowed.  In any case, his message was spot on this week.  Play your best and have fun.  The chips will fall as they may.  Its time we had more kinder, gentler Ryder Cups.  I don't care for the extreme intensity ala Poulter style with the crazy eyes or Monty with wobble chin and near tear in his eye.  I want to see laughter and skippity do dah behaviour during the Ryder Cup.  I hope we are slowly getting to that point.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Matt_Ward

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 05:51:14 PM »
Sean:

A layed back guy like Larry Nelson does that. Let his game do his talking -- would let his players do likewise.

David Egan

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »
Jeepers, can't we roll Pavin over a few times before we talk about the next guy?

I was very surprised by Pavin as captain.  I was surprised I liked his attitude because I pegged him as one of the main psychos during War on the Shore.  Of course, that was a long time ago and Pavin may have mellowed.  In any case, his message was spot on this week.  Play your best and have fun.  The chips will fall as they may.  Its time we had more kinder, gentler Ryder Cups.  I don't care for the extreme intensity ala Poulter style with the crazy eyes or Monty with wobble chin and near tear in his eye.  I want to see laughter and skippity do dah behaviour during the Ryder Cup.  I hope we are slowly getting to that point.

Ciao 

You should check out Jay Overton's comments after his match.  He has the right idea about what the Ryder Cup is all about.

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 06:01:48 PM »
Sean:

A layed back guy like Larry Nelson does that. Let his game do his talking -- would let his players do likewise.

Matt

I can only assume Nelson has a story about why he was never chosen as captain.  In any case, I hate the logic behind the selection process and the captain being close to the players.  I would want to bring back the older generation who had success with Ryder Cup and/or majors and want to do it rather than pick a succession of one time major winners.  This lot should be the last resort.  You betcha I would go for Watson or Jack as two of my prime choices especially if they made the captain's role a chilled out one.  Something like the captain is picked two months before the Cup.  A month later picks his team.  On the way to the airport he rolls into Hudsons, picks up a shopping cart full of jumpers and hops onto the plane.  A kinder, gentler Ryder Cup.

David

If Overton can't get his words out any quicker than he plays then I am not interested.  He was a serous shock to my system and I never want to see him strike another ball. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Scott Coan

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 06:26:06 PM »
Sean:

Matt

I can only assume Nelson has a story about why he was never chosen as captain.  In any case, I hate the logic behind the selection process and the captain being close to the players.  I would want to bring back the older generation who had success with Ryder Cup and/or majors and want to do it rather than pick a succession of one time major winners.  This lot should be the last resort.  You betcha I would go for Watson or Jack as two of my prime choices especially if they made the captain's role a chilled out one.  Something like the captain is picked two months before the Cup.  A month later picks his team.  On the way to the airport he rolls into Hudsons, picks up a shopping cart full of jumpers and hops onto the plane.  A kinder, gentler Ryder Cup.

David

If Overton can't get his words out any quicker than he plays then I am not interested.  He was a serous shock to my system and I never want to see him strike another ball. 

Ciao

I totally agree with your comments Sean.  The over-the-top enthusiasm needs to be toned down on both sides and that starts with the captains.  I was embarrassed by Overton's freakout after he binned his eagle, and then when Bubba jumped in they both looked like a couple of idiots.  Rory continually jumping around like a 16 year old that just discovered his first piece of poontang made him look like an idiot as well.  I could not help but contrast his behaviour/demeanor with that of Rickie Fowler.  What a class act that young man is!  He and Lee Westwood had it about spot on.  When you execute a great shot, act like you've done it before and show some class and comportment.  Never give your opponent any extra incentive to kick your ass, which is exactly what Overton and Watson did with Jimenez and Hanson.  Jack Nicklaus must have been shuddering if he by chance saw Overton after his eagle.

Having said all that, Larry Nelson would be the perfect choice for the next captain but it will never happen.  DLIII is a slam dunk and I would caution all those that think he is Mr. Bland.  Any guy that is mad keen on hunting, fishing, and motorcycles is pretty cool in my book.

Mike Benham

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 06:30:30 PM »

This guy!  A Playing Captain!!

Did Phil even play THIS year?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

JR Potts

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2010, 06:30:36 PM »
After reading Shvias coaching philosophy, all I can say is "thank god he's not the 2012 captain."

Man....those are some terrible ideas.   :)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2010, 06:31:57 PM »
Nuff of the one-major winners being captain for the USA squad.

Scott, I agree w you -- a laid back more professional approach works.

Nelson is a class act -- so his Love.

I've never been able to fathom how Nelson got dropped and all these other guys jumped in front of him.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2010, 06:35:37 PM »
Rick:

Captaining on USA soil is one thing -- doing it on the foreign side is quite a bit different.

Thanks, Matt. That's exactly what I said. Glad you agree.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Mike Benham

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 06:54:12 PM »

But knowing the PGA they will probably pick Davis Love...Corey Pavin part deux.

Not if rides this bad boy up the ramp at the opening ceremonies ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »
Another vote for Mr. Nelson.

Eric Smith

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 07:27:22 PM »

That just might make Whitty's day right there, Mike.  Very nice!

David Camponi

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2010, 07:59:47 PM »
How about Nicklaus, Palmer, Watson, even Trevino? Why not?

Don't see any reason they keep putting 1x or 2x major winners as captains........boring!

Why not add some interest and use a legend.

Wouldn't mind seeing Phil or for that matter Tiger as playing captain, at least it would add something to the event. 

Strange, Pavin, Love, Wadkins, even Crenshaw don't really subtract from the event but certainly don't add interest.  As I stated in another thread it is basically a ceremonial post, they make no difference outside of the captains picks.  Everyone on the team can play and if they happen to play well then it is there own doing, not the captains.  Someone else said that you could let the opposing captain choose the lineup for your team and then choose your own lineup and I don't think it would change the odds of who wins.  These guys are good.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2010, 08:25:18 PM »
David:

The legends you mentioned have all been previously selected -- some more than once.

Nelson has been left at the altar standing. Why ?

The captains can set the tone -- Nelson handled his entire career with class and dignity -- and a real competitor to boot.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »
Davis Love and his team will be:

Z. Johnson
D. Johnson
Watson
Fowler
Woods
Kuchar
Mickleson
Ohair
Moore
Palmer
Barnes
Molder

The Euros will once again be captained by Monty (If you can't win majors you can convince yourself and others that the Ryder Cup Captain is equivalent)

Off the Euro team will be Harrington, Jimenez, Hanson, Molinara and replaced by Rose, Casey,Hansen, Khan.

Love's team wins 15-13.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »
What about Mark O'Meara ?

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2010, 09:31:18 PM »
I say Dottie Pepper.

WW

John Mayhugh

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2010, 09:36:33 PM »
If the people at the PGA had any sense at all, they would quickly announce that The Captainess will the one who will be taking the helm of the US Ryder Cup effort in 2012. You all bring up fine points about how Vice Captains are being groomed for the job and are natural successors. Well, what about a Captainess? Last time I checked, a "Captainess" outranks a mere "Vice Captain". In my mind, she is 0-0-0 and the blame for this defeat obviously falls at the feet of her husband. She can learn from her, well, mistakes (the whole player waterproof fiasco and the spiked heels choice for Friday's fourballs) and take solace in her victories (wore a fawn-coloured shawl-cum-poncho draped over a fawn-coloured sweater that looked, simply, devine) that do not show up on the scorecard.

She has shown remarkable dedication (according to her interview, she pulled "several all-nighters a week during the months leading up to the event) and pride (take note of the red, white and blue flag and crucifix as the only clothes/accessories in her picture on the magazine cover) and is not afraid to throw convention to the wind (can you believe she went with a chiffon dress on Thursday evening's ball?!?!).

The Captainess for 2012!!!!

Perfect.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2010, 01:02:10 AM »

Phil was assigned to play with and mentor the rookies. Pity the poor rookies.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alex Miller

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2010, 01:11:35 AM »
Davis Love and his team will be:

Z. Johnson
D. Johnson
Watson
Fowler
Woods
Kuchar
Mickleson
Ohair
Moore
Palmer
Barnes
Molder

The Euros will once again be captained by Monty (If you can't win majors you can convince yourself and others that the Ryder Cup Captain is equivalent)

Off the Euro team will be Harrington, Jimenez, Hanson, Molinara and replaced by Rose, Casey,Hansen, Khan.

Love's team wins 15-13.

So  Furyk and Stricker fall off of the face of the earth and don't make the squad? Stewart Cink too? Where's Overton and Mahan? We may have had 6 rookies this year but we won't have 5 next time too.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2010, 05:21:37 AM »
Both Molinaris will qualify automatically.  They may not have had stellar weekends but these guys can play.  No way Khan is ahead of Rhys Davies.  Other Euros in with a shout of being in the team next time include Ross McGowan, Alvaro Quiros, Danny Willett and Chris Wood.  Then, of course, someone could come from nowhere like Dodo (who was still on the Challenge Tour last season).  Perhaps someone like Matteo Mannessero.  And then, of course, there's always the chance that Sergio could find his game again.

Fun but basically pointless to try to predict teams two years out.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

PCCraig

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2010, 09:22:06 AM »

But knowing the PGA they will probably pick Davis Love...Corey Pavin part deux.

Not if rides this bad boy up the ramp at the opening ceremonies ...

What a nerd.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back