News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Who Won The Ryder Cup This Year
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2010, 08:06:36 PM »

Very Good Guys, but just answer the original question please

Melvyn

David_Elvins

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2010, 08:09:45 PM »
Melvyn,

How many Ryder Cup teams was Old Tom Morris selected to play in? 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2010, 08:13:30 PM »

David  between which years and who is Old Tom Morris

Melvyn

Anthony Gray

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »

I'm glad to see someone having a laugh on this site.Well done Melvyn.

Your friend,

Anthony

Matthew Rose

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2010, 11:13:14 AM »
In all seriousness, I had clubhouse passes to the '95 Ryder Cup, but on the Euro side.  When the US and Curtis Strange fell apart on the Sunday singles, given how emotional the matches were, it was very hard for us few Americans in the room to stand up and be gracious in defeat.  The Euros were very gracious in victory that day, as well.

That is what it is supposed to be all about, so maybe peace on earth and the brotherhood of man really won.

I do sense a little bit of lesser interest in the Ryder Cup in the USA these days, given the Euro dominance over the last 13 matches.  Does anyone else feel that, too?

Good post Jeff.

Yeah, I was starting to feel that way after Oakland Hills...  Brookline was our one victory between '95 and '06 and that felt like a fluke more than anything else to me.

Maybe we should go back to GB & I like it used to be. They would have been tough to beat anyway.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

archie_struthers

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »
 ;D :'( ;D

Congrats to the Euros on their win, it was well played with lots of excitement at the end.  Shame that Mahan wasn't on his best game or it could have really gotten crazy fun at the end.  He really needed to find the fairway on #16 ....

Jim Hoak

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »
I think there is definitely less interest now on the part of Americans in the Ryder Cup, but I don't think it is primarily because of the recent losses by the US team.  Rather, I think it is a reaction to the over-the-top hype and fervor that surrounds what was to be a friendly exhibition.  I am offended by the attitude that it is a "war," the "ultimate battle", etc.  Despite what Monte may rationalize, it is not anywhere near the equivalent of  a major.  (Maybe it is only so to someone who has never won a major?)  The President's Cup seems much more rational than the Ryder Cup.  I think the Europeans especially need to get it into proper perspective.  Maybe it is their "complex" regarding the relative strength of the European Tour versus the PGA Tour?  If so, maybe the competition should be between those who play primarily on the respective tours, and the PGA Tour would have Donald, Rose, etc. on their team, as well as most of the top International players.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2010, 11:39:06 AM »
Matthew,

I think the population mass of Europe and the US is about the same, so in theory, it should be a fair fight as is, assuming both continents provide good golfers to the same degree, which I think they do.  If anything, we might add Canada and Mexico to our teams, on the chance that we might get a few better players, like Weir, to help balance.

Jim,

I thought about all of that "hoopla" argument, but it was still popular after that, and popular at Brookline.  Maybe these things go in cycles and the era of the Ryder Cup as a big deal is over.  Or, maybe both sides just like winners and so the Euros are more hyped now.  Maybe the Prez Cup actually dilutes it for the players and fans, since there is now an event every year, or in other words, they killed the goose by emulating the Ryder Cup and diluting it.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mark Pearce

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2010, 11:41:44 AM »
Jim,

Your post sounds like something that might have been written 15 years ago.  Reading coverage of the event on US based sites I was struck, this time, that perhaps for the first time it seemed to me that The Ryder Cup mattered as much to the Americans as to the Europeans.  I was also struck on reading a quote from Calcaveccia, in relation I think to the '89 Ryder Cup that he would have swapped his Open win for the 1/2 point that would have secured victory.  I have no idea where the idea comes from that the Ryder Cup is supposed to be an exhibition.  It hasn't been that for years.

As to your offence taken at the suggestion that it is a "war" or the "ultimate battle" I wonder where you can point to a single European utterance that suggests that?  If you don't like that aspect then you probably need to look closer to home and, in particular, to the US captain this year and his headgear at Kiawah and to the US press (and players?) who christened that event the War on the Shore.  You might, if you find the intensity of behaviour offensive, also want to question the bahaviour of the US crowd at Brookline in '99.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2010, 11:58:58 AM »
All of the "war" and "battle" language is just plain tired.  It's a golf match, that's all.

The European team played slightly better and they won.

Let's get over ourselves.  It was a golf match played on a soggy, stupid golf course which was won by a great group of guys.  Case closed.  None of this nationalism garbage is in any way useful.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jim Hoak

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2010, 12:14:29 PM »
Amen, Terry!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »

Terry

Agree it’s a game of golf with two team playing each other, None of this nationalism garbage is in any way useful, yet I suppose comments like ‘You Must Cheer when Europe miss putts’ was acceptable in 2008. Nevertheless I believe this topic was about celebrating a victory.

I along with many Brits have no problem with you celebrating on the 4th of July, so some want to celebrate a good clean game of golf on both sides, on and off field with not replays of 2008. Must be something to grin about

Simple question but hell of a job to get an open and honest reply. Amen indeed

Melvyn

Brian Phillips

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2010, 01:56:44 PM »
Melvyn,

I have a sneaky feeling that you did not watch the match live did you?
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tim Pitner

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2010, 02:08:58 PM »
Jim,

There are obviously many fine non-European, non-American players, but the President's Cup is a pale imitation of the Ryder Cup--there's no reason for the Ryder Cup to emulate it. 

I don't see a problem with the Europeans' perspective--the players regard it as a big deal, they're passionate about it, but they show good sportsmanship, by and large, just as the American players do.  Isn't that what's fun about sport?  Yes, it's just a game, but it's a lot more compelling if the participants really care.  Which contrasts it with many other golf events where many players seem more than satisfied with a 10th place check.  The Ryder Cup is a great event and, even as an American, I'll admit that it's at its best when on European soil--the Euro fans really have fun with it. 

PCCraig

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »
Melvyn,

I have a sneaky feeling that you did not watch the match live did you?

No...that would of included "modern technology aids" such as a "color television" and "sound." I'm sure he acutally used pigeons to transport updates from the matches. Maybe Melvn is just getting the 1997 results back now??
H.P.S.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2010, 03:38:40 PM »
I think it is easier to say who lost............Sun Mountain and Belding golf bags...........

Brad I

Brad, THAT was classic.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2010, 05:28:52 PM »

Brian

I have a sneaky feeling that I did watch the match on TV although not 24/7

Pat

My little demented cherub you do need to get your facts right, otherwise you just take the piss out of yourself. I do hate to see you looking so ignorant, yet regrettably I know it comes so easily to you. Apparently Doc Gray may have some ointment to rub upon your problem but hair loss may result.

Melvyn.

PS Pat what on earth is that personalized picture meant to convey – looks like a redundant USSR symbol or perhaps of neo Neanderthal heritage with the two old stone clubs and a big C, perhaps it could be a mating display or early warning sign for the onset of PMT – whatever I sympathise.   Please do have a nice day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back