News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

A. MacKenzie and Buffalo Bill in the Catskills (almost)
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:32:06 PM »
How many times when reading a golf article do you hear the names Buffalo Bill, Ned Buntline, and "Texas" Jack thrown onto the mix along with Alister MacKenzie and T. H "Riggs" Miller C.E., his right hand man on the east coast ??? ;D Sounds like a screenplay in the making.

The article deals with a proposed large scale golf/hotel/airport development in the Village of Stamford, NY called "Eagle's Nest". I haven't been able to find anything about the final outcome, but I'm thinking the upcoming depression put the kibosh on it. 

It's in two parts:

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2010/Stamford%20NY%20Stamford%20Mirror/Stamford%20NY%20Stamford%20Mirror%201930%20Grayscale/Stamford%20NY%20Stamford%20Mirror%201930%20Grayscale%20-%200264.pdf#xml=http://www.fultonhistory.com/dtSearch/dtisapi6.dll?cmd=getpdfhits&u=76232623&DocId=1616891&Index=Z%3a%2fFulton%20Historical&HitCount=3&hits=129d+129e+129f+&SearchForm=C%3a%5cinetpub%5cwwwroot%5cFulton%5fNew%5fform%2ehtml&.pdf

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2010/Stamford%20NY%20Stamford%20Mirror/Stamford%20NY%20Stamford%20Mirror%201930%20Grayscale/Stamford%20NY%20Stamford%20Mirror%201930%20Grayscale%20-%200265.pdf#xml=http://www.fultonhistory.com/dtSearch/dtisapi6.dll?cmd=getpdfhits&u=ffffffffd61e7eb6&DocId=1616892&Index=Z%3a%2fFulton%20Historical&HitCount=44&hits=1+2+d+7c+df+f2+196+445+62a+7ff+802+815+827+8ea+8eb+935+93b+98d+9d1+9e0+9f4+a22+a3a+a90+b37+c98+cbc+f29+f33+f66+f68+f69+f6a+f6c+f6d+f6e+f6f+f70+f72+f73+f74+f75+f76+f77+&SearchForm=C%3a%5cinetpub%5cwwwroot%5cFulton%5fNew%5fform%2ehtml&.pdf

Enjoy.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Neil_Crafter

Re: A. MacKenzie and Buffalo Bill in the Catskills (almost)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:58:18 AM »
Hi Jim
Interesting find there. And it's not one that our little Mackenzie research group has come across before. So thanks for bringing it forward. :)

I am puzzled though by the letter from T. H Riggs Miller. Wendell P. Miller, engineer, was effectively Mackenzie's construction man in the 1930s, having built Bayside and Augusta for Mackenzie, and also having sent one of his engineers, Luther Koontz, to South America with Mackenzie where he built the Jockey Club courses. So I am puzzled as to why they have referred to him as T. H. Riggs Miller.

And I imagine you are right that the project never got going as a result of the Depression, we have a few other projects Mackenzie was linked to that most likely suffered a similar fate and never got off the ground.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 08:17:21 AM »
I wonder if Riggs Miller is a relative of Wendell Miller. It looks like Mr. Woods has an interesting background too.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:51:43 AM »
Neil,
I'm happy to have added a small snippet to your knowledge of AMac. 

It seems this Miller fellow must have referred to himself that way, where else would the paper have come up with the name "Riggs" ? I've looked around a bit and haven't found any other reference to him. I'll post it if I do.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 09:58:47 AM »
Neil,
There is a man named T.H. Miller who is credited, along with George Lowe, for the 1897 version of Royal Lytham & St. Anne's GC.   

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:09:23 AM »
Neil,
Here he is! ...and the photos are of Saucon Valley, mentioned in the "Eagle's Nest" article.

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/GolfIllustrated/1928/gi286s.pdf
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:11:52 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:02:20 PM »
Hi Jim
Thanks for the GI article. It is clear that T H Rigg Miller was a real person and not Wendell Miller in error. I googled him after you posted that article and found out the following, also a photograph of him as well. It appears he was English or possibly Irish, as I found evidence that the Rigg Miller family were from Nenagh in Ireland. He was a greenkeeper who obviously was into course construction as well. Like Tom, I wonder if he was related to Wendell Miller. And how did he come to know and work with Mackenzie? A mystery.

THOMAS HENRY RIGGS-MILLER

Mr Thomas H Riggs-Miller was a passenger aboard the S.S.Penguin when it was wrecked on 12 February 1909 in Cook Strait, off the Wellington Coast of New Zealand. With a death toll of 72, it was the greatest New Zealand maritime disaster of the 20th century. He and Sylvester Edward Holcroft, a friend he was travelling with, were washed off the keel of the boat they had boarded by a large wave. He survived because he swam for half an hour or more holding on with one arm to a spar drifting in the water. With his other arm he held on to the arm of his friend in an attempt to save him, but his friend eventually drowned. In the extensive account of the tragedy which he gave to a local newspaper, he is described as "a well-built and well-groomed young man, who carries about his 13st 4lbs of avoirdupois as if it didn't worry him in the least."
Thomas Henry Riggs-Miller arrived in New York on 6th July 1913 on the S.S.Philadelphia from the port of Southampton, England. He is listed as being English, with his last permanent residence being Johannesburg, South Africa and his occupation is shown as a Theatrical Agent. The ship's manifest describes him as 5'11" tall with a brown complexion, brown hair and brown eyes, age 26 and born in Vanoua(?) Fiji - his marital status is not quoted. He was travelling from African Theatrical Trust Ltd, Johannesburg, South Africa, and going to visit a friend J.H.Allen at 500 Astor Theatre Building, 1531 Broadway, New York.
'Tomas'(sic) H Riggs Miller also arrived in New York 24 June 1914, on the S.S.Saratoga from the port of Havana, Cuba. He is listed as being Irish, with his last permanent residence being New York, and his occupation is shown as a salesman. The ship's manifest describes him as a single man 5'10" tall with a fair complexion, brown hair and brown eyes, age 28 and born in the Fiji Islands. He was travelling from Hotel Telegrafi Havana, and going to the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, New York.
On 2nd December 1930, Thomas Henry Riggs-Miller became a naturalised citizen of the United States. He was then age 43 and living in the New Dorp neighbourhood of Staten Island, New York. 

T. H. RIGGS MILLER, 123 Bache Ave., New Dorp, Staten Island

In January 1932 Miller was  recorded in The National Greenkeeper magazine as a District Vice-president of the National Association of Greenkeepers of America, and he was based at Richmond County Country Club, Staten Island,  New York.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 12:28:11 PM »
Neil,
I saw that info about Miller at a similar site (no photo though) and thought they were talking about three different men.  :-[  ;D

T H Riggs Miller got around!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 05:34:06 AM »
Jim
It does seem strange, but I can't imagine there was more than one T H Riggs Miller floating around. Not like trying to find a particular John Smith!

Tom MacWood

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 07:12:31 AM »
I found his obituary in the NY Times. He died in 1939 at the age of 52. He was living in Kansas City having moved from NY five years earlier. His profession was landscape and golf architect. The age seems to match up with Neil's theatrical agent/salesman.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
I wonder if the T.H Miller who built Royal Lytham with George Lowe was related? Father maybe?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 02:13:06 PM »
Jim, somehow I doubt it, the key is the surname Rigg Miller, being so unusual. If his father's name had have been Miller then he would have been a plain Miller too. But he wasn't.

Steve Lang

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 02:22:19 PM »
 8) Don't most all proper UK folks have 4 initials to their names?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »
Steve
yes, quite a few do, many of the old time cricketers had three initials, but in this case it's two initals and two surnames! Riggs Miller was also hyphenated so there were people who used Riggs-Miller as a surname.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back