News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Moore II

Re: Worst Ryder Cup Ever?
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2010, 10:37:09 AM »
It was Mahan's misfortune to be the last U.S. player standing, so his play on 18 is what will be remembered.

Just to be clear, Mahan's match ended on 17. I only say that because he was in the difficult position of having to win 2 holes with 2 to go.

Yep, and Rickie was in a worse position than that. Didn't see him chunk any pitches.

PCCraig

« Reply #151 on: October 04, 2010, 10:37:29 AM »
This thread should be asking "Worst Ryder Cup Captain Ever?"

Pavin stunk.
H.P.S.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #152 on: October 04, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »
I couldnt believe McDowells put caught the right edge on 16 in the first place.  Put looked low from the start.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #153 on: October 04, 2010, 10:42:44 AM »

Pavin stunk.

I've heard that a lot, but I'll say one thing - his pick of Fowler sure came good.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tim Martin

« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »
Constant rain, swampy conditions on a poor inland course, lift, clean, and cheat, play slower than drying paint.  This Ryder Cup is absolutely horrendous to watch.  Is it the least interesting Ryder Cup in history?  Would this sort of Ryder Cup have occurred if the venue was a well-draining links?
JNC-Any change of heart? As a spectator I don`t think it could have been much more exiting today. The U.S. almost pulled out an improbable win with about as much drama as anyone could want. Plenty of class shown by the euros when interviewed about the day`s events while giving the U.S. their due. Anyone that wants to focus on the rainsuits, venue, change of format, and lift, clean, and place has clearly missed the intent and spirit of the matches. Can`t wait for 2012 back on U.S. soil. :)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2010, 10:44:14 AM »
It was Mahan's misfortune to be the last U.S. player standing, so his play on 18 is what will be remembered.

Just to be clear, Mahan's match ended on 17. I only say that because he was in the difficult position of having to win 2 holes with 2 to go.

Yep, and Rickie was in a worse position than that. Didn't see him chunk any pitches.

John,

Who knows how Fowler would have responded in the anchor match all alone on the course. You can't compare the two. Two different situation. Yes. Hunter Mahan choked that chip, but there is no way to predict how others would have played in the spot.

Everyone seems to agree that it is the biggest pressure in golf.

JESII

« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2010, 10:44:44 AM »
John,

You say it like it is?

You have no idea how it is.

John Moore II

« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2010, 10:47:42 AM »

Pavin stunk.

I've heard that a lot, but I'll say one thing - his pick of Fowler sure came good.

Yeah, I don't think Pavin was terrible. His #1 team on Saturday evening got taken to the woodshed, and those matches just went downhill from there. Not to mention, the one full point USA could have gotten yesterday was fouled away on the last hole. Corey did what he could, the boys just let him down on Saturday night/Sunday.

Tim Martin

« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »
John,

You say it like it is?

Jim- Greatest 13 word post I have read on GCA. Bravo!

John Moore II

« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2010, 10:49:17 AM »
John,

You say it like it is?

Whatever, I'll take my beatings. I stand by what I said.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2010, 10:57:53 AM »
Congratulations to the American team for fighting back and making a game of it. USA was never predicted to win and it was a long shot, at best, that they would retain the cup. Coming within 1/2 point of keeping the cup is a major achievement, if you ask me!

Feel sorry that Hunter had to have it come down on him that way... but, the damage was done on Saturday with the 1/2 - 5 1/2 whipping the Americans took.

I wonder if the outcome would have been the same if they had played the originally scheduled match sessions instead of changing everything and putting all 24 players out on Saturday. As it turned out, they could have stayed with the original schedule as they had to finish on Monday anyway.

To the Euros I say, "Ole, Ole, Ole!"

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2010, 11:08:15 AM »
Was there any Monday coverage of the matchs on the US networks?
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tim Martin

« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2010, 11:08:50 AM »
USA Network

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2010, 11:10:09 AM »
USA Network

And on the internet.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2010, 11:11:37 AM »
Jim S-
I'd the say the course did exactly as it was intended--it created memorable matches, exciting action, spectacular golf by the best players in the world....and perhaps most importantly, it did all that and withstood monsoon-like rain for two days. 

Easily the most premature--and perhaps most wrong--post on GCA.com

The course caused the finish to take place in the middle of the night on Monday morning for us west coasters.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Moore II

« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2010, 11:18:20 AM »
Jim S-
I'd the say the course did exactly as it was intended--it created memorable matches, exciting action, spectacular golf by the best players in the world....and perhaps most importantly, it did all that and withstood monsoon-like rain for two days. 

Easily the most premature--and perhaps most wrong--post on GCA.com

The course caused the finish to take place in the middle of the night on Monday morning for us west coasters.

Sorry Garland, that just doesn't hold water, even for an Open Championship, you'd have to wake up well before dawn to catch the entire final round. This year, I think it ended around 1pm EST, so, 10 PST...Anytime an event is held in Europe, guys on the West Coast have to be up really early. But think about it, when they have the Australian Open at Royal Melbourne, you guys don't have to stay up as late (or as long, really)  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #166 on: October 04, 2010, 11:19:31 AM »

Pavin stunk.

How? By using a captain's pick on Mickelson? I can blame no US captain as long as they have to use Mickelson who if given his druthers would rather be on vacation.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Egan

« Reply #167 on: October 04, 2010, 11:21:18 AM »
Mickelson qualified for the event.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2010, 11:24:31 AM »
Mickelson qualified for the event.

Well, DUH!

And Pavin lost. A player that can go 50% in this event would have won it for him.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2010, 11:29:50 AM »
This captain thing has gotten riciculous.  It simply boils down to each man, the club in his hand and the ball on the ground - nothing more, nothing less.  I think Pavin conducted himself with dignity - that's all I ask of a captain.  

Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes, well he eats you.  That sums up the Ryder Cup in my book.

Congratulations to Europe.  

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »

John,

Who knows how Fowler would have responded in the anchor match all alone on the course. You can't compare the two. Two different situation. Yes. Hunter Mahan choked that chip, but there is no way to predict how others would have played in the spot.

Everyone seems to agree that it is the biggest pressure in golf.

I hit that same chunked chip in a match yesterday against my wife.

George Pazin

« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2010, 11:35:54 AM »
Nice post, Bogey.

Seemed like an event that, in the end, deserves a "well-played, both sides" and here's to the next one.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matthew Rose

« Reply #172 on: October 04, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »
Nice post, Bogey.

Seemed like an event that, in the end, deserves a "well-played, both sides" and here's to the next one.

Agreed..... I actually hoped for a tie because I thought it would have been the most fitting result.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Phil McDade

« Reply #173 on: October 04, 2010, 11:44:02 AM »

Pavin stunk.

Pat:

Too harsh. I think Pavin did an admirable job, and got a lot of a team with five rookies on Euro soil on a course few if any had played, and with Mickelson and (at least until singles) Tiger -- the best players in the world the past decade -- clearly off form. I think in the end, Euro's big players -- Westwood, Poulter, McDowell and Donald -- played much better than the US's big stars -- Tiger (carried by Stricker for the most part), Mickelson, and Furyk. Furyk in particular stands out as disappointing -- coming off FedEx win, won the fewest points on the US side.

Phil McDade

« Reply #174 on: October 04, 2010, 11:47:39 AM »
This captain thing has gotten riciculous.  It simply boils down to each man, the club in his hand and the ball on the ground - nothing more, nothing less.  I think Pavin conducted himself with dignity - that's all I ask of a captain.  

Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes, well he eats you.  That sums up the Ryder Cup in my book.

Congratulations to Europe.  

Bogey

Bogey:

Say what you will about Monty,  but he had the smarts to put McDowell in the very last spot in the line-up on a course he'd won on this year. Everyone will make hay over Mahan's chili-dip, but the match turned on McDowell's drive on 16 and subsequent putt to go 2 up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back