News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Kiser

Ballyneal Panoramics New
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:06:41 AM »
I had the distinct pleasure of making the pilgrimage to one of the modern Meccas of golf.

Yes, Ballyneal is quite the place.

I realize the course has had strong coverage and I won't even attempt to post a hole by hole.  Instead, I thought I'd post a few ... panoramics for a change.  I think they give a better idea on the grandeur of the place.

When I think back now on the experience (because it is an experience) and beyond my favorite holes or sequences etc., what really sticks with me even today is the sheer variety in holes AND the incredible amount of options off the various tees.  I mean if you EVER get bored here, you should probably hang 'em up.  That simple.  There are so many ways to tackle the holes and be creative about it ... it's mind boggling.

This also gives me another chance to especially thank Jim for hosting and Kyle for twisting Jim's arm.  Otherwise, I'd still be thinking about when I might get out there someday.

Also a special thanks to Rupert & Co. at Ballyneal.  I'm sure I'm forgetting some folks but Matt, John, Dave, and Mitch made a guest feel like a member.  Chunk and Justin helped my game with their caddying skills.  And Rupert was so right in that ... there are no sucker pins, only sucker players.  I think they've named the right side short of the 8th "Kiser's Chasm" or something like that.

I really enjoyed playing with and getting a chance to meet new fellow GCAers as well.  Sven, Tony, Tom, Deucie (aka Mr. 69 if you please), Bob, Dub, Brian, Norm, and I must be forgetting someone.  We did not get a group shot I'm afraid.

Last but not least, special thanks to Matt for being a very patient member.

Enjoy...

4th Tee Panoramic At Sunset:

17th Green Looking Back:

18th Green With Moon Looking Back:

18th Green Looking Back:

Clubhouse At Dawn:

Course At Dawn:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:06:42 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Kyle Henderson

Re: Ballyneal Panoramics
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 02:20:04 AM »
I'm very glad you finally had a taste of my favorite course, Von Kiser, but all credit must go to Colton, the man who has shared some of the best grounds in golf with so many in such a short time span.

If Doak has "Butt Boys," surely Colton deserves a "Crotch Clan" or some other uncouthly-labelled fan club...
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:18:00 AM »
Nice thread and photos.

Just for clarification, Ballyneal has one sucker pin.

I won't spoil the fun, of having those who've been there, guess. No fair if you've played with me, because I always point it out. First correct answer will get access for a foursome, anytime they want.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ron Farris

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 06:32:33 AM »
Adam, how hard would you say it would be to identify the sucker pin at BN if you have not been to Ballyneal?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:35:09 AM »
Ron. I did mention for those who've been there. Plus with all the pictures I wouldn't put it past anyone in this forum. Ok. Almost anyone.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:38:24 AM »
I've been there once, but I honestly have NO idea....  front right pin on #12?

Thanks for your generosity Adam...one of my great memories of my trip to Ballyneal was being informed by Brian (when he found out that I loved architecture) that you were in the clubhouse, and him taking me by to say hello right before we teed off!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:41:44 AM by Thomas Patterson »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 08:06:28 AM »
Thomas, Thanks, it was great to meet you too. No, it's not on 12. Brian is a great addition to the club. He literally can do it all, with grace and a sense of genuineness.

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 08:25:44 AM »
Patrick,

Pictures look great, are they stitched together or did you use one of the new Sony "Sweep Panoramics"?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Harris Nepon

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 08:35:39 AM »
Adam,

Sucker pin is on #11 front left?

Am i the sucker for thinking you actually get back on the course for guessing?

Not a day goes by I don't think about playing that course again or figuring a way to win the lottery and become a member out there.

Awesome pictures Patrick.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 09:02:30 AM »
Harris, I hadn't thought of 11. But, like all things, it depends on one's definition. Certainly getting to a front pin on 11 is tough, and anything left, is big trouble.

As for getting back out or joining. Please contact me, as I may be able to help you with either or both.

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »
Harris, I hadn't thought of 11. But, like all things, it depends on one's definition. Certainly getting to a front pin on 11 is tough, and anything left, is big trouble.

As for getting back out or joining. Please contact me, as I may be able to help you with either or both.

You know the winning lottery numbers?  No wonder Steve and Ms. Sheila tell me such great things about you.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 10:37:31 AM »
Patrick, great pics.  Those obviously were not taken on Saturday am!   ;)  I too enjoyed my time at Ballyneal immensely.  Thanks to Jim C. for the invite and to he and Matt for being such great hosts.  BN is a special place, and like Patrick said the variety is what makes it a place I could play over and over and not get bored.  My two days there consisted of 85 degrees and sun, and the very next am it was 40 some degrees, blowing hard, and spitting rain.  Someone said it "is really playing like Ireland today."  I'll take their word for it, as I've never been to Ireland, but I've now been to one hell of a golf course.  I have wanted to post more on it, but just been too busy lately.  Great pics again, Patrick, and thanks for sharing.  TW

Adam, how about front pin on #4 as a "sucker."  That would be similar to front on #11.  Or, high and right on #8, as we saw many a ball go straight back down that hill, even with putter in hand.  Or, way back on #7, as long there is simply death?  Finally, right behind the bunker on #16?  Well, I guess if I guess every darn hole I'd finally nail it.  Anyway, great place.  TW

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 11:07:37 AM »
#5 behind the bunker, or front right on #14

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 11:08:19 AM »
Pictures look great, are they stitched together or did you use one of the new Sony "Sweep Panoramics"?

JC,

I have the old school POS that stitches ... when it wants.

Those obviously were not taken on Saturday am!

Quite right... quite right...  I refrained from the shutterbug itch until my very last round played with Sven.  I have the "can't walk and chew gum" syndrome when it comes to playing golf and taking pics.  So I usually avoid bringing a camera, but how could I resist this time around?  ;D.  Sven was MORE than patient with me and I thank him as well for hanging in there with me.  I really tried my best to keep pace and not slow down the show.

Just for clarification, Ballyneal has one sucker pin.

Jeez...  I can think of a few that come to mind.  More play obviously would help me confirm  ;D...
How about the front pin on #3 or back left on #5 or front right on #8 or front left on #18 etc... etc...
No clue...

Does BN have one of the best starting sequence of holes with #1-4?  It's like a big crescendo for me.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:09:54 AM by Patrick Kiser »
course architect

Jim Colton

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 11:23:19 AM »

Does BN have one of the best starting sequence of holes with #1-4?  It's like a big crescendo for me.

Patrick,

Great pics!  That stretch from #1-#4 has been known to cause folks to open their checkbook and sign up on the spot.

Kyle, the Crotch moniker makes me think of Rich Harvest Links.  Definitely not a good thing.

Jim

Scott Szabo

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »
#5 behind the bunker, or front right on #14

I'd have to agree with front right on #14.

Of course with Adam's ground game skills there really should be no sucker pins at BN!

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Scott Szabo

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 11:42:10 AM »
Thomas, Thanks, it was great to meet you too. No, it's not on 12. Brian is a great addition to the club. He literally can do it all, with grace and a sense of genuineness.

I'll second that about Brian.  I've known him since he was about 10 and knew right from the start that he'd make a fine player.  Good kid as well - I think he will go far in this business.

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 12:34:40 PM »

Great pics!  That stretch from #1-#4 has been known to cause folks to open their checkbook and sign up on the spot.

That would have been me if I hadn't found out I was moving to SC the day before I arrived at BN..............  It really is that amazing, and the spirit and feeling of the club/membership makes it a great fit for me.  If only I wasn't 1800 miles away...

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 02:00:44 PM »
A right pin on 14 is the one I had in mind. It neednt be front. Anything right runs the risk of going down the hill farther right. So, Wyatt wins again. Unless he's been in contact with Doug. ;). Interesting other choices.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 02:52:42 PM »
A right pin on 14 is the one I had in mind. It neednt be front. Anything right runs the risk of going down the hill farther right. So, Wyatt wins again. Unless he's been in contact with Doug. ;). Interesting other choices.

Right must not be that tough.  I saw Wyatt get up and down from the edge of the fairway straight right of the pin, which was front right if memory serves me correctly.  Absolutely blew me away....

Is there a consolation prize for coming in second? ;D

Brian Joines

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 06:41:33 PM »
Great pictures Pat! That was a phenomenal weekend and one I won't soon forget! Thanks again to Jim, Matt and the Ballyneal crew for taking care of us so well!

Here's a picture of Patrick playing from the dunes in our first round:

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 07:21:34 PM »
No question, rt on 14 is sucker pin!

Brad I

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 10:33:23 PM »
Here's a picture of Patrick playing from the dunes in our first round:

Brian my friend...

The Fat Tire has gone to your head  ;D.  That or there was another Patrick out there...

Yes, I certainly landed in a few of those dunes and as much as I'd like to take the credit on this one ... alas ce n'est pas moi!

That's got to be either Matt or Norm.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 12:43:12 AM by Patrick Kiser »
course architect

Steve Lang

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 10:47:34 PM »
 8) those pics are definitely getting printed and put on the wall..  its been a year since our visit to the chop hills.. good idea
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 11:20:53 PM »
Patrick:

It isn't me either.  However, it might be Dustin Johnson.  Is that a hazard or a waste bunker?

As always Jim assembled another great group of guys.  I really enjoyed meeting, playing and "jamming" with all of you.  Who knew Tom had the golden pipes?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:30:41 PM by Matthew Schulte »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back