News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kettler

Getting on Muirfield as a Single - How?
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:28:25 AM »
First Scotland trip is coming together.  While I have pitched it to the wife as a once in a lifetime, I am hoping it is one of several.  Besides TOC, Muirfield is on the top of my list.  Traveling as a single will perhaps provide some flexibility, but it will undoubtedly cause some issues with booking times.  I am okay with that chance with just about every course, except Muirfield.  So I am looking to this experienced group on best approach for a single to get on Muirfield.  Is it worth a letter to the secretary to see if he would pair me with a member?  I got he pseudo auto-reply from one of the admins when I inquired (or shall I say enquired) indicating they only take 4 ball tee times on Tuesday and Friday, which I knew.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Stan Dodd

Re: Getting on Muirfield as a Single - How?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »
Dan,
A few years ago I asked The Secretary about being paired with a member and in no uncertain terms I was told this was not done at Muirfiled.  I did save the letter from the infamous Paddy Hammer.
Stan

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:43:44 AM »
I suspect your best bet will be to try and make a group of four through this site. You never know, there might be three others on here who think Muirfield worth a look.

Jon

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »
Very unlikely they'd pair you with a member, not least as members tend to avoid Tuesdays and Thursdays (not Fridays) when they take visitor play.  I think Jon is right about your best bet being trying to put together a four.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »
I'd suggest swinging your handbag outside in a short skirt on a Tuesday or Thursday morning at 8.30

Failing that, you could mail to see if there is three going out and if you could join that... Tough one!

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »
First Scotland trip is coming together.  While I have pitched it to the wife as a once in a lifetime, I am hoping it is one of several.  Besides TOC, Muirfield is on the top of my list.  Traveling as a single will perhaps provide some flexibility, but it will undoubtedly cause some issues with booking times.  I am okay with that chance with just about every course, except Muirfield.  So I am looking to this experienced group on best approach for a single to get on Muirfield.  Is it worth a letter to the secretary to see if he would pair me with a member?  I got he pseudo auto-reply from one of the admins when I inquired (or shall I say enquired) indicating they only take 4 ball tee times on Tuesday and Friday, which I knew.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

When are you going?

Bart

Dan Kettler

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 12:31:58 PM »
For reference, the trip is planned for 18-27 June.  Starting in Troon, followed by St. Andrews and then North Berwick area.  Have some flexibility on the order of play.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »
Dan, I have a twosome interested around that time.  Perhaps we can find just one more and make everyone happy.  Send me a PM with your contact info and I will see if we can work it out.

Bart

Dan Kettler

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »
Bart - PM Sent.

Will open it up to others on this site.  Looking to fill out a foursome at Muirfield (need 1-3).

Date would be 26 June with the 19th and 24th as alternates.

Thanks

Nigel Islam

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 05:16:35 PM »
Isn't there some deal if you stay at the Greywalls? Or do you have to have a foursome for that too?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 07:30:38 PM »
Isn't there some deal if you stay at the Greywalls? Or do you have to have a foursome for that too?

Right now, Muirfield is only taking bookings for 4 golfers...it is a pain.

Bart

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Dan-Get in touch with Sean Arble as he may be able to help you. He runs a company called Classic British Golf Tours.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:30:01 PM by Tim Martin »

Jon Heise

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »
So I'm headed over in a few weeks, and I originally just put my name into their online 4-some section, just to see.  Couple days later sent an email to them that was rejected very quickly.  I go ahead and book another course and about two weeks later get a note saying that they have a time for me.  Was able to book both places.  I have no idea how they found it in their heart to give me a time, but I'm unbelievably excited for it.  Can be done!
I still like Greywalls better.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 10:04:47 PM »
Jon - no club will turn down £££
Cave Nil Vino

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 03:22:03 AM »

If that is true Mark, why does Muirfield not have visitor play on more days in the summer when they could fill 10 times the GF slots. Maybe they were just being helpful.

Jon (the other one :))

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 03:55:08 AM »
Only true in that it is open to a single to book a tee time as a four and pay the best part of £800 quid for the time.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 08:42:22 AM »
Call Greywalls- sometimes they have 2's / 3's looking to join up with other people. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

Michael Essig

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 01:24:42 PM »
Dan, I have a twosome interested around that time.  Perhaps we can find just one more and make everyone happy.  Send me a PM with your contact info and I will see if we can work it out.

Bart

Our dates (for my son and I looking for two more to round out a foursome) are Thurs, July 3rd or Tuesday July 15th.  With plane tickets already in hand, and the TOC submissions tomorrow morning, our dates are inflexible.

Dan, an expensive alternative is to buy all four spots.

Lastly, as much as I or any other person would love to play Muirfield, there is so much outstanding golf in the area, that not playing Muirfield will not tarnish what would be an unforgettable trip for any golfer.  If it happens, it was meant to be, but don't stop trying.

Ben Klaas

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »
Whatever happened with this?  Did this work out for everyone or are people still looking?

Michael Essig

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »
Still looking for two partners on either July 3rd or July 15th to complete a foursome.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »
Whatever happened with this?  Did this work out for everyone or are people still looking?

Ben:

I have got 3 people together for June 26, we need one more to complete the foursome!

Anyone want to join the group?

Bart

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back