News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Cirba

Which Muni for One Round in Boston?
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:42:40 AM »
I'm a huge golf history buff and might have a single day open in Boston next week.

Which Boston Muni should I play...George Wright or Franklin Park, and why??

Thanks for your insights.

Michael Moore

Re: Which Muni for One Round in Boston?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:13:01 AM »
Golf history? How about whacking the ball around?

George Wright is the better course. It's really a cool layout with a tremendous variety of par-fours.

I have heard that conditions are approaching excellence due to large and overdue investments over the past few years. I wonder if anyone can confirm or deny this. Bill Vostinak had a positive review of this place a while back.

In addition, the gigantic, mostly abandoned and empty stone castle clubhouse is something to see. You can practically see the ghosts in the ballroom.

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:18:29 AM »
I like George Wright alot and think it's fun and has alot of character. I played it maybe 3 or 4 times a year when I was out there for school mostly because it was the closest decent 18 hole public option. Plus it's always fun playing a public Ross course (I forgot it Franklin Park is a Ross as well).

I have played Franklin Park a couple times, but honestly don't remember much. A good friend (GCA lurker) plays there alot now and claims that the conditioning is worlds better than just a few years ago and would play it 7-3 over GW.

Regardless of what my friend says if I had one round between the two I'd probably go back to George Wright.

Just make sure you get over to the North End for lunch and a stop to Mike's Pastry :)
H.P.S.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:42:52 AM »
I agree with my esteemed cohorts.

I live only 5 or 6 miles from both, and George Wright is the clear winner, and 7-3 out of 10 plays is pretty accurate.

The conditioning that was horrible until about 2 years ago is vastly improved.  The greens are not tour-fast, but they run at a solid 9-10.  They have been considering some sort of restoration work on the course for a while now, and it could easily be among the best Ross courses in Mass. with a little help.  The course has been making subtle improvements for a few years now, so they may get halfway to a restored Ross on their own.  Holes 4-5, 7-12, 15, and 17 are standouts.

Not to say Franklin Park is any slouch itself either.  It's less challenging than GW, being more wide open and about 6000 yards compared to GW's 6400.  I do, however, consider the place charming.  There are many places at FP that give the feel of the 1895-1910 golf, even though the course on the ground represents 20s Ross with some modifications to improve conditions that closed the course in the 70s.  There are no public courses in Boston that quite give the traditional wide open feel that FP does.  There are wide open modern courses, but when the fescue blows in the wind and you have 18 push-up greens, FP has the feel of the classic Boston privates.  Holes 3-4, 8, 12, 14, and 18 are the best holes at FP.

As a side note, you definately get a better picture of Boston's melting pot of races and cultures at FP, whereas GW generally serves the suburbanites on the southern side of Hyde Park.  If you try FP, you will usually see something you wouldn't see playing golf elsewhere (it does sit on the edge of a very densely populated area, and many people are using the surrounding park for picnics and other things besides golf), and you have a good chance of playing with someone having different background than a playing partner at an upscale public.  I've always had a great time with this quality of FP....totally fun.  It's also the only place I've been that let me play for free once because they couldn't get the credit card machine to work...they didn't tell me to go home or go get cash...they just saw that I loved golf, and they wanted me to be able to play!  The guy in the pro shop just pointed to the first tee and said "just remember us!"

So my point is that golf course greatness-wise, GW wins over FP 7-3, or even 8-2.  But coolness of experience + golf course-wise, they might be even!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:45:48 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mark Smolens

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »
With no dog in this hunt, and never having played either, based on Brad's story about the credit card machine I'd like to go to Boston just to play Franklin Park. I sure don't see the folks at Kemper Golf or Billy Casper doing anything like that at Waveland or George Dunne. Great stuff.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:24:06 AM »
Mike,

I am somewhat serious in saying if you want to see a muni that has been chopped up more than Cobbs, then go see Newton Commonwealth (Ross) in Chestnut Hill which is across the street (almost, but it is walking distance) from my old dorm at Boston College. I hear it is in better condition these days but at some point land was sold off and there is 18 holes where there should be 12.

It served me well for four years, but there is not much allure to the place other than the occasional Jesuit to pair up with for a round. This history of the place, on paper, is kind of interesting:

http://www.sterlinggolf.com/newton/history.htm

PS. It did not start out as a muni.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:25:55 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:31:24 AM »
I'm a huge golf history buff and might have a single day open in Boston next week.

Mike,

Why aren't you playing Ponkapoag??? ;D

Chris

Jay Cox

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 11:24:16 AM »
Both are great places to see for the history.  When I played them (10-ish years ago), George Wright was far and away the better -- and I believe better preserved -- golf course.  But I hear great things about what has happened to both, and especially to Franklin Park, since I left.

Still, for one round, I would recommend George Wright.

The stretch of holes at the end of the front nine and the beginning of the back -- many stout par 4s -- is really excellent.

The Brookline municipal course, which used to be called Putterham Meadows and which borders on The Country Club, is also very much worth seeing.  It is a Stiles / Van Kleek course and in my view is in the same class as George Wright.  It was my favorite of the three to play regularly, and for the most part it's a well preserved (if slightly deteriorated) example of the architecture of the time, but it doesn't have the historical cachet of GW or FP.

Unless a miracle has occurred, Newton Commonwealth is a complete train wreck and should be avoided at all costs.  "18 holes in the space of 12" is an apt description.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 11:51:10 AM »
Yeah, Newton Commonwealth started as Allston Country Club or something way back when.  They also used one of the holes as a ski slope in winter in the 50s and 60s complete with a rope-tow.  I've only played there once, and it was probably 8-10 years ago.  The highlights include the 247-yd par 4 14th, which is not driveable unless you defy physics, and the 13th, which is 268 straight downhill over a creek to a tiny green right in front of the pro shop.  A sign on the tee says it's against the rules going for the green.  Not a good course, but it has classic roots.  I don't know if Ross was ever on property, and if he was or wasn't, there isn't much left.

Brookline Golf Club has its highlights, but GW is head and shoulders better.  BGC - Putterham has always had drainage problems, and the vast majority of the holes are flat and back and forth across the large flood plain of the nearby creeks and local water supply.  The course does get interesting when elevation is applied around the edges.  There is a neat par 3 near the clubhouse that skirts some rock outcroppings, and some decent holes near the end of the round when the greens are elevated from the fairways.  Don't count on this being the second qualifying course for the 2013 US Amateur, despite being next door to TCC.

I've always had a soft spot for President's GC on the hillside next to I-93 in Quincy.  Quirky, wacky, and strange are words that all apply to Presi's, but it's fun if you play with a local that can show you the way.  It's only 5700 yards, par 70, but it's a gambler's paradise.  All the par 5s are reachable, and 6 or 7 of the par fours are driveable if you pick the right line and ball flight.  The course today is actually a George and (a young) Tom Fazio from the 70s, but was the original Wollaston Country Club before the club moved to Milton/Canton.  They are also slowly renovating the course, adding some interest, and they only have about 4 holes left to do before completion.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 11:59:31 AM »

Mike,

Chris

Ponkapoag is a disaster.  There were rumors of the USGA giving the place the "Bethpage treatment," but the city of Canton voted it down.  Too bad they will never do anything until there is a public outcry or people stop playing there.  Boston needs a US Open venue, with TCC refusing to do so anymore (and being too short really).  I used to play a junior tournament there, and the rules involved lift, clean and place EVERYWHERE in normal weather.

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 12:05:28 PM »
Mike,

I am somewhat serious in saying if you want to see a muni that has been chopped up more than Cobbs, then go see Newton Commonwealth (Ross) in Chestnut Hill which is across the street (almost, but it is walking distance) from my old dorm at Boston College. I hear it is in better condition these days but at some point land was sold off and there is 18 holes where there should be 12.

It served me well for four years, but there is not much allure to the place other than the occasional Jesuit to pair up with for a round. This history of the place, on paper, is kind of interesting:

http://www.sterlinggolf.com/newton/history.htm

PS. It did not start out as a muni.

I played many a round at Newton Commonwealth with buddies from BC on Thursday and Friday afternoons after class. There are some fun short holes out there and honestly most times I was just happy to be playing golf in general and wasn't there for the GCA. It did make for a fun spot to have a few beers and play 9 holes before dinner and hanging out on "lower" campus ;) :)

H.P.S.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »
"lower" campus ;) :)

Maryann's?

Still haven't been in there...even though my wife lived across the street from it for a year in 2005.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »

Mike,

Chris

Ponkapoag is a disaster.  There were rumors of the USGA giving the place the "Bethpage treatment," but the city of Canton voted it down.  Too bad they will never do anything until there is a public outcry or people stop playing there.  Boston needs a US Open venue, with TCC refusing to do so anymore (and being too short really).  I used to play a junior tournament there, and the rules involved lift, clean and place EVERYWHERE in normal weather.

I KNOW IT IS A DISASTER HENCE THE USE OF THE SMILEY FACE!!!!! :o

Roger Tufts

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 07:02:52 PM »
I used to play a junior tournament there, and the rules involved lift, clean and place EVERYWHERE in normal weather.

You mean the tournament that changes its rules as it progresses? :D

For what its worth, I have not played George Wright (a travesty, as I grew up within twenty miles), but can attest to Brad's notion that Franklin Park is a charming place. The course is pleasantly surprising, and does give a nice "Old Boston" feel. You just have to avoid the occasional elephant trumpeting noises in your backswing while playing the first 3 holes.

And you're guaranteed to remember your round, if not for the golf then for the experience.
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 08:03:38 PM »

Maryann's?

Still haven't been in there...even though my wife lived across the street from it for a year in 2005.

Cleveland Circle`s most chic establishment. ;)

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »

Maryann's?

You betcha...super sketchy (bartenders selling Natty Lights out of a 30 pack bought at Costco) on the whole but I would say it gets a "9" for the "walk in the park" test :) ;)
H.P.S.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 12:22:51 AM »
A round trip ticket to Macarthur airport and Bethpage Black!

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 07:43:52 AM »
George Wright hands down. There have been some improvements made over the years thanks to "The Friends of".

With respect to Ponky, The Town of Canton is attempting to take control from the State Department of Natural Resources. The State has no $$ to put into the course and any rumors that one may have heard regarding the USGA providing funding is just heresay. The Town would love to see the closed 9-holes re-opened and the entire 36-holes renovated. However nothing can happen until they gain control. 

Mike Cirba

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 10:42:18 AM »
Thanks everyone, for your suggestions.

If weather and time permit this week, I'm probably going to try George Wright.   It sounds terrific.

I'll update this thread with my thoughts afterward.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back